Mobile Home Owners: Do you take or leave your pets in a storm to seek shelter???

Jody

I live in a mobile home. The dreaded spring weather is here. Sometimes we have to leave to seek shelter during a tornado warning. Everyone in my area heads for the local Walmart. Can't take pets. I can't leave my dog, Broady. I have kids and everyone thinks I am nuts. What does everyone else do? I just can't leave him behind. I want to drop the kids off and seek shelter with him. Some people think I am nuts, and some people can't see it any either way. I am torn, but think if push comes to shove I am dropping off the kids and running to the ditch with the dog. What would you do???????

witzend

After Katrina, there was more sympathy towards people with pets in extreme storm situations. I would probably contact my local SPCA or animal shelter to see if they have any recommendations as to where you might seek shelter that will allow your leashed dog.

Mattsmom277

I would simply show up with kids AND dog. And if anyone says something I'd say, should i take my pet and my children and myself outside and stand outside a window so you can all watch us get injured? ;)

I know I personally wouldn't leave my kids to go elsewhere with my pet, I also wouldn't leave my pet to face something horrid alone. For me, I honestly do think I would show up all together. I would keep a broken down/folded crate in the car for this purpose. If anyone complains of the dog, you have a crate for him/her to ensure nobody needs to be disturbed by your pet (of course, ensure beforehand that your dog is good staying in a crate without panic and barking etc).

KTMom91

I would also show up with dog in tow. Of course, I would also have cats in carriers, so I probably wouldn't be a popular person at any shelter, but I wouldn't leave my animals.

Jody

You guys are so smart. I definately couldn't leave my girls unless I knew they were okay. I thought about running in the door with my dog anyway, but was afraid that I wouldn't get in. I will just bust on through. Good idea about the ASPCA. I am glad that they have this forum, so I can get your feedback on my questions!!!!!!!

witzend

I like the crate idea. Our dogs are all crate trained, so while they might be freaked out by being somewhere else for a while, but they would settle in. Of course my dogs are huge, so we would take up more than our fair share of room...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I like the idea of contacting your local ASPCA. You could probably also call your vet or pound for recommendations. I personally couldn't leave without my pups, in fact, I would probably put my own life at risk before leaving them. I was so upset seeing all those who had to leave their pets during the hurricanes. Ugh, broke my heart.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jody, I don't even go to my basement. lol But if I did......my pets would go with me.

I won't because I've no desire to be buried alive. I do go into the closet under the stairs if the situation warrants it. I think I've done it once.

Lived through many many tornados. But while they tell you to go to the basement.........I've seen too many people seriously hurt that way. (house picked up and then dropped on them) My aunt was spared only because she and her husband had only made it as far as the doorframe to the basement steps. Less than 30 seconds later the tornado had lift her enormous house into the air and then whoosh! It dropped right into her basement. She and her husband would not have survived had they been down there.

I might take shelter in one of those old fashion root cellars that were built separate from houses way back when though.

Wouldn't leave my pets to go somewhere else though. I'm the person who brings the outside dog inside into a crate when the winter weather dips below zero. lol

Fran

Former desparate mom
Jody, the best thing to do is make a plan. No way would I leave my kids to face the terror alone in a shelter so I would have to make arrangements for my
dogs. I'd have to stay with the kids.
We have gone through hurricanes. It's a serious concern what to do with pets. The first one, we were out of town so our pup was already being boarded. The owner crated the few dogs left and took them to her home.
I have 3 large puppies but I'm someone who would listen to officials and evacuate early maybe even before the actual evacuation order.(hurricanes) I have seen way too many macho folks say "no one is going to tell them to leave their home. After the hurricane they say they would never do it again or blame everyone else for their stupid choice. I'd head out of the area to a safe place.
Again tornadoes are different. Getting your info early and making a plan is the best thing you can do. Your a smart girl to be thinking about what to do.
Hurricanes give you a time advantage but Tornadoes are so sudden you have to plan early.
I would call the aspca and ask what they would suggest. I would call city dept. that handles storm warnings and ask what the plan is for pets.
If all else fails put them in their crate and show up at the shelter.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd have to try to ride it out. I can go to Walmart for shelter, but a recent phone call to the mgr told me the only pets they would allow would be service animals--no exception. The local animal shelter has no way to take in pets during a possible tornado situation.

I live in an elderly mobile home and this scares the hell out of me. I'm afraid of storms now and never used to be.

Jody

Our mobile home park refuses to spend the money for a building for it's home owners. They sure want the money though. I love my mobile home but storms are definately scary. The other night we had a bad storm and I have to say that I was so tired, I prayed and went on to sleep. I slept right through it.