Mom, can I please have my medications when we get home?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 1 didn't put his Daytrana patch on before he left for school this morning. Needless to say, he was very ANIMATED when I picked him up from school today.

He told me he feels like he's high, or drunk, and that he didn't like it, and could I please give him his booster medications (focalin) when we got home so he wouldn't feel like this anymore.

I could hardly contain myself and keep from laughing... :rofl:

Then he asks if he could get arrested for driving while NOT under the influence of his drugs since he acts like he's drunk, even though he's not. :tongue:

Too funny!

crazymama30

Oh my. At least he knows that the medications help. That is huge.

Never heard of someone being arrested for driving while not under the influence! How funny.

DammitJanet

LOL...DWNUI a new charge.

Ya know, I did ask the PT's when I was in rehab if I could get some sort of card or paper to carry with me so if I ever got stopped because there is no way on this earth that I can walk a straight line heel to toe. I simply cannot do that anymore. Its not due to drugs or drinking or even my prescription medications...its neurological. Evidently I would have to go through a ton of red tape to get a letter like that so I just hope I never get stopped and never have to walk a line. I would never fail a breathalizer because I dont drink so it shouldnt be an issue.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Janet, I haven't been able to pass a "drunk test" going all the way back to when I first started driving.

Like you, it is neurological (due to my being very premature) and aging and rx medications and the like haven't helped.

Not only can I not walk a straight line, but I cannot do the finger to nose thing or any of it.

Never an issue. I am a VERY good driver and a very careful one.

Unfortunately, I managed to hang a left turn in front of a waiting county trooper while in the process of sneezing my brains out. I went out of my lane and he pounced.

I explained the entire situation and asked him if he could just do a "breathalyzer" or if he was concerned about there being other drugs involved, I would be happy to go to the local hospital for a drug screen (blood test).

He did the breathalyzer; I came up clean (other than a rare good German beer, I mostly abstain as well. Booze and bipolar are not a good mix).

Then, he suggests I stop by Wallyworld and get some medicine for my allergies...

Uh...not a bad idea except I can't drive under the influence of that stuff either!

therese005us

I can't do breathalysers either. I carry a letter from my doctor to say that I am a chronic asthmatic and would have trouble blowing into the thing.
Since I've had that, it hasn't been a problem.
A couple times I've been stopped before that. One time the cop called an ambulance and I was carted off!! True story! Because I was coughing and wheezingn so badly...

Another time the lady police officer was very rude, even though I said i didn't mind doing a blood test, because I couldn't blow into it.... she said you have to stop blowing when THEY say... well i was nearly turning blue!! Anyway, it turned out all right and after that I got the letter.

So, maybe a letter from your doctor would help.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Trish,

I am lucky in that I can do the Breathalyzer. I am an ex-smoker with about 35 years of heavy smoking behind me.

I'm sure I do have the beginnings of emphysema and that my history will catch up with me as I grow older.

So far I don't seem to have problems with wheezing and hacking unless it's allergies, bitter cold weather (I live in an area of the US where winter temps often drop well below zero).

It's the silly physical test the cops do. I must have a touch of cerebral palsy or something! I am fine on a horse (expert rider), but I swear I am dead from the ankles down and I have no balance with my eyes closed.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You can get pulled over for driving under the speed limit. I was doing this just before I turned 21 (ack, that was a long time ago!) - speed limit was 45 but no signs, I saw the cop and wasn't sure. So I did 35 and got pulled over. He asked if I'd been drinking and I said no, but my passenger had, and she was over 21 - he checked her license, she wasn't drunk but honesty seems the best policy in those situations. He asked why I was going so slow and I told him - I saw you and I didn't know what the speed limit was so I was playing it safe. He then asked me to pronounce my last name (maiden name - hard to do if you don't know it), and decided if I could say it I was probably sober. LOL! Yes, I got let go. I'm sure my "excuse" gave him & his buddies a good laugh later.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Wonderful that he recognized the need, and I like his sense of humor!

I once knew a co-worker that has stayed awake for more then 36 hrs. (Huge engineering test that lasted three days, day and night.) He was given the chance to sleep but choice to go out with his girl friend instead. He swerved all over the road. They stopped him, and made him take the coordination test. He passed the breathalyzer because he had not drunken anything, he was only sleepy (but still not fit to drive). They charged him with DWI, and carted him to the local jail for the night. They also recommended he appeal and said he would probably get off because he had no alcohol in his blood. He did appeal and I believe learned the lesson. The main difference is that although he was not drunk unlike you guys he was not in a fit way to drive ether. I don't think it would have made a difference if he caused an accident.

TerryJ2

Absolutely, aerong. On that little sleep, no one is fit to speak to another human being, much less drive.
Not only driving, but flying, doing police work, or anything.
Laws have been changed in medical residencies for that reason--too many deaths, too many mistakes. Same with-air traffic control. (Although they still have a long way to go.)
It is cute that difficult child 1 asked the question, but he surely had no idea of the adult repercussions of such a thing.

F

FlipFlops

I used to be an MP, in the USMC actually, and we were told the trick to walking the line is in the hips. with-o a demo, and I don't plan to make a youtube version, the only way I know to explain it is to keep your hips heavy. Keep your center of gravity in your hips. Next time you're bored give it a shot. No tricks for the nose thing though. FYI, people always think cops are jerks and rude and stuff, but keep in mind, most of the people they pull over act like our difficult child's and worse. They have no way of knowing if you are being sincere or not. They don't have the luxury of giving you the benefit of the doubt either. That could potentially cost them their life if they are wrong. Alright, I'll get off my soap box now.