Mom worth $164,337 a year

Sheila

As soon as I post this, I'm going to invoice husband. Think I should add backpay, too?:D

Actually, I did an itemized cost for a friend about 20 yrs ago. (Her husband was giving her fits at the time and it made me mad. He didn't appreciate it. lol) It came out at a little over $100,000 per year.

http://www.canada.com/holidays/mothersday2005/story.html?id=bb11c638-5dd4-49b1-8d97-2e9cb3b4dbe2

"Labour analysts calculate salary for stay-at-home parent

Misty Harris , CanWest News Service

Published: Friday, May 06, 2005

Motherhood may indeed be its own reward, but labour analysts have calculated that stay-at-home mothers are worth a salary of $164,337 a year.

According to a new report from Salary.com, the annual wage, including overtime pay, would be paid if the workload carried out by stay-at-home mothers was remunerated in market terms.

The estimate takes into account the average stay-at-home mom's job responsibilities, number of hours worked and frequency of time spent on specific tasks during a typical week.

"This has really struck a chord with people about the value of staying home with your kids," says Tim Driver, vice-president of consumer products for Salary.com.

"We've had a tremendous response from moms who are thrilled someone has gone to the trouble of putting a dollar-and-cents [figure] on their job."

The median salary arrived at by Salary.com's compensation experts is based on a 100-hour workweek, consisting of six 15-hour days and one 10-hour day. The figure assumes the mother has at least two children of school age and is predicated in part on the average U.S. salaries of daycare centre teachers, van drivers, housekeepers, cooks, CEOs, nurses and general maintenance workers.

Restitution in the form of a "steady flow of rewarding hugs and kisses" was also considered when determining the base pay and overtime.

"A mother-in-chief has to be worth a lot of money," says Ann Douglas, a mother of four and one of Canada's most prolific parenting authors. "She's able to convince willful toddlers that they really do want to get their rubber boots on. She's able to convince teenagers that life doesn't **** every single day. So she's clearly the best in her field."

Ms. Douglas, who hasn't worked full-time outside her home since the birth of her children, says the biggest challenge is getting people to recognize work that's largely invisible.

"I've heard probably every child on the planet turn to their mother at some point and say, 'But that's your job,'" she says. "But there aren't enough hours in the day for moms to do all the stuff they're supposed to be doing."

A study released in February by the University of Lethbridge and Vanier Institute of the Family found 90% of Canadians feel that ideally, in two-parent households, one parent should stay home and take primary responsibility for the children. But a recent Statistics Canada report shows 53% of young children are in "some kind of child care," while 47% are cared for by a stay-at-home parent.

"The attitudes of young women and men today are fundamentally different from those of their grandparents," says Bob Glossop, spokesman for the Vanier Institute. "Women today are better educated than any previous generation of women, and most of them expect to use those educations not just on the homefront but also in the worlds of commerce and civic affairs."

In this new climate, Mr. Glossop argues that Salary.com's proposed wage for stay-at-home mothers more accurately reflects the sum efforts of all caregivers -- male or female, homebound or otherwise.

"This is an interesting [salary assessment] that illustrates not so much the stay-at-home parent's contribution to their children and to society, but the contribution of families in general.""

My estimate only included labor. Shoot, I forgot to add in for taking advantage of teaching moments, psychological services, etc. Friend's husband got off cheep!

F

flutterbee

And that's probably only accounting for stay at home Mom's of easy child's. I think Mom's of difficult child's should receive Hazard Pay, as well. :devil:

Star*

call 911........call 911
DRRRRRAT

I want to make a mental note to put this and that printed article with my next resume so that i can justify GOING to work - and them getting me at a bargain basement price.