Moment of Weakness

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Quick! Someone talk me out of this!

Somewhere in our area a hoarder had his animal "shelter" closed down by authorities.....well turns out he had 2 as they just discovered the 2nd one. ugh

Nichole sent me this:

One is my Molly's clone.........swear even down to the markings on her coat. He's one of the pups rescued from the hoarder.

You've no clue how badly I want to run up there and get him. If he was female I wouldn't even be posting because I'd already be on my way. lol

Oh, wow. Major moment of weakness here. It's not helping that both easy child and Nichole also want to run and get him........ugh

I don't have room.
I don't have room.
I don't have room.
I don't have room.

OMG! Soooo not fair! Why now when I can't really afford to feed him and I don't really have room for him..........well, I could make room but it's the feeding part I'm more worried about......shots, neutering ect. That and Rowdy tends to have issues with males..........and Betsy, who knows how she'd react.

No. No. No.

Help me here, ladies. I'm about to go shopping with the girls headed in this boys direction. I've got to be strong and convince myself someone else will adopt him and give him the home he deserves.

nvts

Now stop it young lady! You're already having trouble emptying that nest of yours! Keep thinking about the dog doing his business on your rugs, furniture, etc. Remember how they chew everything, vomit everything, eat socks and batteries and the really evil ones last for 18 years.

There - I painted an ugly picture for you. Stiffen that spine soldier and march on...march on!

donna723

I'm a fine one to try to talk anyone out of getting another animal ... but he sure is super CUTE!

If he's up for adoption through the animal shelter, will they not have him neutered before he's adopted, or at least have a certificate for the neuter when he's old enough? I'm more up on the procedures for girl dogs. I'm not so sure about the boys, what age they can be neutered. I only have one boy and he had already been done before I got him, but most shelters will not adopt out an intaqct animal.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've made it past my moment of weakness................for now.

It really isn't easy. Would be easier if Nichole and easy child didn't have him posted on their facebook and I see him every time I load the darn thing up. lol Would be MUCH easier if Travis didn't show me he has the cash for the adoption. (see what I'm up against??)

Yeah they'd probably neuter him, if they haven't already, before he left the shelter. But you have to pay for it as part of the adoption fee. Which is why the adoptions can be so expensive.

But although I want him in the worst possible way.........with 3 dogs here already, I really don't have the room. The timing is not right.

But when I AM ready...........by darn there better be a Molly clone available somewhere or I'm gonna be soooooooooooo mad. lol

KTMom91

Glad you got past your moment of weakness...because I'm not a good one to talk you out of it. This is why we have a Jack Russell, six cats, and two bunnies. Hubby hollered at me when I noticed someone had a baby bunny up on Freecycle...

TerryJ2

As one who has rescued a few in her time, don't do it! It totally changes the dynamics. We had the perfect combo when we had 2 borzoi and a collie. Then I went and rescued a border collie/collie mix and blew it. Turns out she was abused. IT WAS TO MUCH WORK TO TRAIN HER TO GET ALONG!!! If she had been an only dog and we lived on a farm, she would have been perfect. Instead, we had a crazy house with dogs, kids, activities and she couldn't handle it. If it weren't for a former police officer-turned-dog-trainer who made me get her a prong choke, I would have had to had her put down.She lived to be 12.I think it took 11 yrs off of my life.(Okay, she was gorgeous, intelligent and lively. And I loved her. A lot.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's my thoughts to talk you out of it......

1.) Hoarder dogs NEED a home.
2.) Hoarder dogs NEED a person to LOVE them.
3.) Hoarder dogs NEED a lot of one on one attention, training and peace.
4.) Hoarder dogs NEED medical care (most are full of parasites, internal and external. Some test high for heartworm and will need life-time treatment which is expensive if their labs come back okay to get treatment, and the Humane society does not pay for that.
5.) Hoarder dogs are sometimes fearful of children and are biters.
6.) Hoarder dogs are most times (but not always) FOOD aggressive from having been in a 'pack' mentality for so long - they are not sure of their position - with 3 dogs already in your house - you are providing a 'pack' mentality for him again.
7.) Hoarder dogs can come with a lot of bad habits that take a long time with proper training to break - like...using your house for a bathroom, chewing, running and bolting, digging, pacing, and many other things.

ALTHOUGH - there is a chance - that you could rush down there, get him after they give him shots, de flea, and deworm him and de'neuter him -he be healthy, and put a leash on him, bring him home, have no bad habits, eat with everyone, rush outside to use the potty, and he never raise a lip at a kid, get along with everyone, dog dig, or climb, and absolutely ADORES cats? My prognosis would be slim on that chance.

Once again lady - your heart is enormous - OHHHHHH and as far as the community OUTCRY for "foster" homes - (LAUGHS OUT LOUD) that is such a farce. Foster is a hard-time word for "adopt" in the animal world. You and I both know that.

And last - but certainly NOT least -

NO ONE in the WHOLE world could ever replace Molly. And what a shame it would be for that poor boy to try to have to live up to your expectations of her memory. I say - go bold, go new - STAY AWAY FROM THE SHELTER.

Hugs -

susiestar

Roll With It
What Star said. We adopted a dog from a shelter group when we lived in OH only to learn they lied about the dog with every word that came out of their mouths except that it was a dog. Totally wrong for a house with kids, or with a cat (we had 2) or even a home with just 2 adults in it. We finally had to face facts wehn even working with a trainer didn't help - keeping the dog at our home was cruel to it -like forcing a kid with autism and major sensory issues to spend all day every day in a little room with 100 other kids. So we took it to the shelter, a friend who works there promised to let me know if it was going to be put down for any reason except if it bit someone (hadn't bitten yet but came very close several times). Friend called me less than 24 hours later to say a single college guy had adopted it - he had room for running in a fenced yard, just him at home, perfect perfect home for the dog. I have since seen him with the guy and he always recognizes me and is happy to see me and happy to go with his "Dad".

This is not a good time to bring on the stress, time commitment and cost of this dog. Stay strong. When the time is right Molly will send the right dog to you. I promise.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very true Star. Those were some of the points I used to talk myself out of it.

That and I remembered Lil Bit...........the abused Lab pup we rescued. I couldn't fall in love and go through that again. omg I adored her, but she took a toll on us and on the other dogs. Molly was never quite as accepting of a new dog after Lil Bit. She still did, but was much more I'm The Boss or Else about it which had never been an issue before.

This beautiful boy probably would do better as the single pet in a home with a "parent" who can lavish him with love and attention he doesn't have to share. Much as I'd love to have him join ours.

I'm not actually looking to adopt again until at the very least Molly and Rowdy go to the doggie playground above. And I may not then either until Betsy passes.

This guy just made my heart hitch quite a bit. Which is why I STAY AWAY from the local shelters. Because I only have so much self control.........I know who Nichole gets it from. lol

And yeah...........there will only be one Molly girl, just as there was only one Holly girl before her. Similar, very, but not the same.

And I thank heaven Nichole is in an apartment and couldn't even consider getting him for herself. whew phew