Moms fight off-label use of psychiatric medications for kids

KTMom91

Read this in today's San Francisco Chronicle...and wondered what the other Warrior Moms thought.

http://www.sfgate.com/health/articl...-psychiatric-medications-for-kids-3287290.php

klmno

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, all of us on this board have probably felt desparate enough to try any medication the psychiatrist recommended for our difficult child at one point or another. I definitely think MI exists in kids and that there are times when our difficult child's need medications. But there are two areas I have difficulty coping with. One is using a trial and error approach with medications to determine the diagnosis. I think many of our difficult child's have taken hoards of various medications just on the basis that "if this works, the diagnosis must be ABC". I think the medications are too high risk for that and we have no idea how much more this approach can mess our kids' minds up. The other problem I have is that there is not enough research on the medications pediatricians are rx'ing, in my humble opinion, much less the interaction between them and the psychiatric medications. I am thoroughly convinced that difficult child's medications for asthmatic wheezing and allergy medications, steroids, etc, contributed to his problem.

I don't know what the answer is. We have to make the best decisions based on what we know and have available at the time. But I think a whole lot more research needs to be done so our kids aren't used as guinea pigs.