Mood change 2 wks now!

mousie

Hi to the group,

I posted on your group a while ago now my son J 10 has classic autism we use pecs symbols home/school he can verbally talk which is limited and has been in and out of phases for years but right now the change is his mood and behaviour which is agitation when spoken to or asked to do something simple for himself which was not a problem weeks ago, very irritated and agitated mood doesnt want to join in with anything, wants to be alone, impulsive, quick to anticipate situations and will jump up quick to say something like "no leave it their" when all i am doing is moving something or taking a plate out he could be drawing himself but this is upsetting for him. Would this be anxiety? I dont see any triggers before the behaviour it just seems to be his general mood from school to home.

Can anyone here help with these issues?

Thanks

Donna

BusynMember

Has his life changed in an unpredictable way?
Has he started any new medications?
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids like sameness and often get very upset is something is, say, moved in their room. They also don't do well with transitions. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids tend to have a lot of anxiety over things that "typicals" just take for granted.

mousie

Hi MidwestMom,

Thanks for replying!

Life has not not changed at home for him like to keep it structured and prepare him for changes which was going smoothly with his schedules and going back to school after 6 weeks off was great it started through the half term dramatic mood change. He does have different children in the class but he was fine with this after summer hols teacher had said this.

Its got to the point where im thinking about some kind of medication as he has never been on any.

Donna

babybear

With nothing else being an obvious trigger, my guess would be puberty and/or a growth spurt. He is about that age.

mousie

Thanks babybear! I was thinking myself puberty hands down pants and more frequently at night time and agitated from basically when he comes home from school.

Donna