Mood Stabilizer with-o weight gain?

I have been lurking here for quite some time. Thanks to all for allowing me into your lives and making me feel not so alone.

My son has ballooned up to 250 lbs. Any ideas regarding a mood stabilizer that does not promote weight gain? Depakote and seroquel seem to be the culprate. With everything else he had do deal with, being that overweight and in high school is too much. Also, family tree has lots of type 2 diabetes. Have psychiatrist appointment this week...any possiblities?

smallworld

In a word, Lamictal. It is weight neutral. And it mostly works on the depressive end of BiPolar (BP). Any atypical antipsychotic will cause weight gain and metabolic changes (high glucose, triglycerides and cholesterol) so if you can get rid of the Seroquel, that might help. But Depakote can also pack on the pounds.

smallworld

It depends. With some people, Lamictal helps with migraines, and with others, it causes headaches (according to our neuro). But there are other options besides Depakote if migraines persist on Lamictal. My son, for example, has been taking Propranolol for his migraines for the last four years.

K

Kjs

My son has been on Lamictal for three years. NO weight gain. However he does suffer from headaches, some migranes. Almost daily. He takes Topomax for maintenace for headaches. Topomax also is used for weight loss.