Moral dilemma in regard to publishing Asperger's content

TerryJ2

I have written several dozen poems about my son and our relationship and struggles. I have searched several book publishers and although Asperger's is a popular topic, I have not found a single poetry book out there, so I know it's an open market. I am very close to finishing up the collection. My problem is, my son would have a fit if people were buying my book and knew I was his mother.
Do I use a pen name? Maybe it's as simple as that.

klmno

That would be my recommendation, if I was to get up the gumption to publish them. I'd have to think long and hard about doing it before he was 18yo but then I don't know what kind of info you have in there. I'm sure you aren't spilling all his secrets. LOL! I can understand him getting upset though if it was easy for people to find out or figure out he's the subject of the book- think about teachers, peers, peers' parents, girlfriend, college, future job......

InsaneCdn

Pen name can still be traced - but you really have to know what you're doing.
Get the pen name set up through the legal process, including having all communication and payments through a lawyer.
That way it is easy to get back as far as the lawyer, but the lawyer isn't going to blow your cover.

(publisher might - for various reasons)

TerryJ2

Yes, the publisher might. Sigh.

No, nothing that personal, klmo! lol! But there are rages, arguments, dxes, etc.

"Think, think, think" said Pooh Bear ... It is only 4 yrs until he's 18 ...

InsaneCdn

If its done through the lawyer, then the publisher can't spill the beans - because the publisher will not know.
The cheques will be made out to pen-name, sent to lawyer.

Of course, the lawyer gets part of it, for the trouble... but it does provide protection

H

HaoZi

My poetry is published under a pen name (self-pubbed), no lawyer involved. Realistically, poetry isn't a big seller, so the chances of someone making serious attempts to find out that a book of poetry was done under a pen name and who they really are is pretty darn slim.

BusynMember

I'm with some e-publishers. It's a lot like paper back publications (in fact my books can be bought in paperback too). You can use a pen name, but there is no way you are 100% anonymous. If you look by the copyright of ANY book, you will see a name. That is the real name of the author. The pen name is not allowed there.

TerryJ2

Goodness, you are all more knowledgeable than I expected. Thank you!
I'm off to MN to help take care of my dad Tue-Sat but should be able to check the board a cpl times while I'm there.