More detaching today

lovemyson1

Just wanna say.. It's really amazing, comforting & a sentiment of human kindness to have the people on here to come to in our darkest hours, advice, love, celebrations.. To be listened to without judgment.. It's refreshing and just really needed.. You all are gems!

lovemyson1

My husband went to the home where my son is yesterday to take his car & phone from him so he won't have an easy access to contact people or get the urge to leave. His phone is off anyway & they take it from him but just in case.. Trying to make it hard as possible for him to leave. It was very hard for my husband bc he noticed my sons arms and saw the marks from injecting heroin in his body... I've never noticed that before so he must have went deeper than ever this time. My poor husband broke down and cried to my son, saying "where did I go wrong? what did I do to cause you to do this to yourself?" My son cried as well and said, "it's not you dad, it's me". Man how I HATE DRUGS AND THE LIES AND HOLD IT HAS ON PEOPLE!!!! Anyway, my husband left and is having a hard time with that image.. sunken in face too... my son is so handsome, charming & athletic when he's sober.. I'm building my husband up and being supportive bc that's all I can do. My husband told me he was glad I didn't go bc it would have been hard for me to see. So, now we just wait and see how bad my son wants to stop and change his life... we are not in control. I just pray we can focus on the happier things in life.. still wondering if he'll go to jail. Ugh.. just sharing. Thanks.

Kathy813

Staff member
LMS1, I couldn't have gotten through the last ten years without this site. I'm glad it is helping you, too.

Stay strong. You are doing the right thing. Enabling him just gives him money for the drugs.

~Kathy

lovemyson1

Feeling hopeful! He called hubby tonight and said he is at peace now. Sober. It's been 1 week. Hubby says he sounds like a new person, his son is back! Our son said he's ready to stay and no desire to leave.. Just a few days ago that was not the case. He is in it for the long haul. God I hope so! For now, for tonight, we have peace. Just sharing some happy moments with you good people. We need it!

Childofmine

one day at a time
Lms1 just read this whole thread and I am so thankful that he is getting his mind right again about his life. I am also thankful for the progress you have made in letting go...this is part of his choice to change, I believe, coming face to face with himself and his actions without the buffer...the safety net...of me and you.

And you know and I know how so very hard it is to step away and stand back like you and your husband are doing...and your daughters...our anger helps us detach so it is useful...and it crowds out the fear for a while.

Rest in today, lms1. In the here and now and the fact that today...he is safe and he is allowing himself to be helped...and that is always our best and highest wish and prayer for our dcs

You have done your job well. Let the program do its work and your son do his work. Turn your energy back to yourself and your family. We are here for you, no matter what. Warm hugs this morning.

lovemyson1

I know I'm an optimist and get excited at the first sign of something positive. But through this, I've learned that addiction has so much more of a pull than I ever could understand. So, although I am celebrating the fact that my son is currently sober, has a bed to sleep in, roof over his head, food in his tummy and on the right track, I still am guarded. I probably will always be. I have here and now and it gives me great peace to think of him healthy and alive again. I will never give up on him and I will keep praying for God to give him strength, courage & the ability to stay away from his horrible addiction. I feel that I will be able to handle it if he relapses again, because I've grown stronger. I hope not, but I can accept the things that I can't change. He's in control of his destiny now. Thank you all for your loving support, it means the world to me, it really does.

toughlovin

Yes I am guarded too although i also feel hopeful. I think it is a natural part of this process and important for our own self preservation. I know when my son first went to detox his plan was to go through detox, stay a week and then go back to his apartment and job. After he sobered up and I think with the help of the people there he completely changed his plan, has stayed in the program, has been there 6 weeks and is looking for sober living close by so that he can stay in contact and get the support. I am so so glad I kept my mouth shut and just supported him in whatever plan he chose.... I knew a week of detox would not work but he had to figure that out for himself and he did! So it sounds like your son is getting the help and support he needs.

Nancy

We all need hope, it's good to be guarded but hope is eternal. LMS I am so,pulling for him. Hang in there are stay strong.