More favorite crock recipes, please!

tiredmommy

Our schedule has been incredibly demanding with mother in law in the hospital and Duckie preparing for her All-County Orchestra performance this weekend so I've been using my crock pot quite a bit. So much, in fact, that I've run through my favorite recipes so I'm looking for a few more. Help!!!!

S

Signorina

Our favs from allrecipes

TAMALE PIE
Ingredients
1-1/2 pound ground beef or turkey. onions, garlic
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 jar salsa (10 0z)
2 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread/muffin mix
2/3 cup milk
2 egg
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1.Place the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the beef with onions and garlic until it is browned, about 10 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain the beef, and place it into the slow cooker. Stir in the kidney beans, enchilada sauce, and garlic powder. (I add some frozen corn too)
2.In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix with milk, egg, and butter, and stir until just mixed. Stir in the Cheddar cheese. Spoon the corn bread mixture over the beef mixture in the slow cooker.
3.Set the cooker to Low, cover, and cook until the corn bread topping is cooked through and set, about 5 hours

CHICKEN N DUMPLINGS
"Easy, creamy chicken with delicate dumplings made from refrigerator biscuits, slow cooked to comfort food perfection."
INGREDIENTS:
4 skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans
condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 ounce) packages
refrigerated biscuit dough, torn
into pieces (the cheap kind works best-grands will take longer to cook)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover. (I add chopped carrots & celery too & use chicken broth and water -not just water)
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About an hour minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
I add some frozen peas to the bowl before serving

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Have you done a pot roast? If you sear it, toss it in with some carrots, whole red potatoes and cut celery, a package of onion soup mix and enough water to cover, set on low that morning, you have dinner!

DammitJanet

The only new one I have done lately is one that mutt gave me. Pork roast with chunky cranberry sauce and a bottle of bbq sauce. I like it.

Someone above mentioned dumplings. I have a recipe for some easy apple dumplings that Duckie might like for dessert on a cold winter night. You just take a big jar of apple sauce, add a little cinnamon. heat that up in a pot until it is lightly boiling. Take some buisquick and use the directions on the box to make dumplings. Spoon those into the applesauce that is boiling on the stove. Cover and boil for about 20 minutes. The directions on the box tell you the time to cook dumplings. When the are done, spoon out and serve with vanilla ice cream. Much better than apple pie!

Mom2oddson

Ropa Vieja
3 pounds beef chuck roast
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 onion, chopped
2 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup salsa

I throw everything into the crockpot and cook for 8-10 hours. Then I shred the meat and put it back some of the juice. Then I serve it as the meat with soft Tacos. The leftovers get thrown into a soup (along with the remaining juice) or casserole later.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Can someone YouTube the dumpling things? I love dumplings but no matter how I do it, mine taste like globs of uncooked dough.

DammitJanet

Step...I dont think me doing it on youtube would help you. For your size family of just you, jett and husband, go get one of those envelopes of bisquick. It is the perfect size for you guys. On the package it has the directions for the dumplings. I think its like: add envelope, 2/3 cup of milk and stir. (dont quote me because I dont have any in front of me!) I always add just a touch of sugar and cinnamon too but when I say touch I do mean touch...maybe a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Now I do add about an 8th of a teaspoon of cinnamon to the applesauce unless I use the cinnamon flavored applesauce.

Now...the key to making the dumplings either in the applesauce or in chicken and dumplings is putting them in the pot. You have to drop them in the boiling liquid...here it is the applesauce by the heaping spoonful and then cover for the required time. I believe it is 20 minutes. DONT peak. You want the steam to cook them through. At the end of the required time, you can take a peak and stick a broom straw in one to see if they are fluffy. If not, quickly put the lid back on and cook a bit longer. The tops may look a bit shiny but they should be light and fluffy inside. Worse case...cook maybe two or three minutes longer and they should be done well.

DDD

With beef roast you don't even need to brown it. If you put the raw roast in the crockpot and add Golden Mushroom soup...it's ready when you get home from work. A friend with a home Easy Child. degree suggested this forty years ago and it still turns out great. If you want put raw potatoes, onions and carrots in first, top with roast (not huge but big enough for four or so) pour on the soup and forget about it. Can't get easier than that. DDD

witzend

Season a cheap pork roast with salt and pepper. Rub with whole grain mustard. Top with sliced onions and applesauce. Add 1/2 cup of water, or better yet some sort of soda. Cook on high for 4 -6 hours. Slice roast, and use mustard/applesauce/onion broth as a gravy over potatoes.

LittleDudesMom

TM, I have some great ones -- I love my crock pot! But I'm heading to the shower now since I need to leave for difficult child school drop off and work by 7! I will hopefully be working a reasonable day today and have some time late this afternoon-early evening.

I will say there is a site I love, but can't remember the actual web address. But if you google "a year of slow cooking" the site will come up. It's a mom who challenged herself to use her slow cooker every day for one year! It was several years ago, but she shows the recipe, all the ingredients and then the final product. She also includes tips and how she, her husband, and her two children like the meal! She continually adds recipes and they are organized by main ingredient - definitely my "go to" site for trying new crock recipes.

Hope to get back on later and share some of my favs!

Sharon

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Mom2oddson, I'm going to prepare your Ropa Vieja for a dinner party on Saturday. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. :)

Suz