More free samples of Abilify for the next 3 wks ... can't tell if there's improvement

TerryJ2

but at least difficult child isn't getting sick from it. That's the first step.

The psychiatrist spent a fair amt of time with-us today, asking about difficult child's behavior, appetite, etc. I will be keeping a journal with-specific times, dates and incidents.
I do see difficult child's appetite increasing, but he's fairly thin so he'll be fine for a while. He still wakes up in the middle of the night to eat, though. Sigh.

The psychiatrist talked football for quite a while at the end of the session. difficult child was actually listening and talking. :) I guess that's a bonding issue ... although I think the psychiatrist actually likes football.

difficult child earned his phone back today. He's been doing chores all week and behaving better. I'd say 85% better. (The rest, as the psychiatrist says, is just who he is.)

StressedM0mma

My difficult child is on 5mg of Abilify right now. I have noticed that she is gaining some weight. I am not sure it is directly related to the Abilify. She is not as anxious, so I think she is eating more. But I have noticed that she seems hungrier at night. I am trying to give her healthier options, and I took away the soda. I did offer diet soda. I know that some people do not like their children to have it, but she has always craved carbonation. (so do I) I figure if she drank 2 sodas a day that is a ton of empty calories.
husband and I are hoping we can keep the weight off of her, because we are seeing improvement with her on the Abilify. Fingers crossed that it works out for your son.

TerryJ2

Thank you!
We buy a lot of juice, and when we run out, I make tea. difficult child is just now actually drinking water with-o complaint. Took a few yrs!
He loves sodas, too, but at least we don't buy them very often. Thanks for the reminder.

InsaneCdn

If he's waking up in the night to eat... what are you feeding him before he goes to bed?
Because...
1) lack of bedtime snack may be part of the problem, and
2) content of bedtime snack may be the other.

Bedtime snack should be fairly small, but nutrient dense and blood-sugar stable... a balance of carb, protein and fat... and yes he needs all three.
Classic ones are a glass of milk or a dish of PLAIN yogurt (= small snack), or a bowl of cereal and an egg (= medium snack).

TerryJ2

Hmm. Last night, he had Indian chicken, rice and spinach for dinner. Afterward, he had popcorn & orange juice. Tonight he had McDonald's dbl hamburger with-no bun, fries, and OJ. Afterward he had pancakes and OJ.
I noticed that he has eaten half a box of chocolates sometime in the past week. In the middle of the night. We hid the box.
He doesn't like to drink straight almond or rice milk but will have it on cereal.
Oh, yes, that's a typical middle-of-the-night snack: cereal.

InsaneCdn

All he's getting before bedtime is CARBS. Maybe a whiff of fat on the pancakes or popcorn. No protein at all.
Which means... huge blood sugar spike, followed by blood sugar crash, followed by... needing a snack at midnight (or later)

PROTEIN. He's gotta have PROTEIN.

He'd have been better off snacking on leftovers - chicken and rice - than to have popcorn and OJ.

lovelyboy

Our psychiatrist is thinking of putting difficult child on Abilify.....did anyone had great success on this medications? My son becomes aggressive on Risperdone....I worry about the weight! My son already picked up so much on the SSRI!

DammitJanet

Yeah would he eat Vienna sausages and a canned fruit? That is my go to snack when I need protein fast. I love those canned Vienna sausages and manderin oranges straight out of the can. and if I am even hungry past that I will eat a can of asparagus. Pretty much a complete meal of meat, fruit and veggie.

Terry,

Glad to hear your difficult child's behavior is improving. difficult child 1 was on Abilify. He was also very thin to begin with. He didn't really gain any weight while taking it even though it seemed like he was constantly eating. I didn't buy soda and he also drank lots of water.

We were very fortunate because difficult child 1 did really well on a combination of Trileptal and Abilify. My brain is a bit foggy this morning, but I think it took awhile before we noticed any improvement. Hang in there... SFR

TerryJ2

Thank you. Don't know anything about Trileptal.
by the way, the psychiatrist said he doesn't want to go over 5 mg. He doesn't want to overmedicate because he thinks a lot of what we're seeing is difficult child's real personality--grumpy as it may be--and not that much depression. He wants to take the edge off, but force difficult child to do the hard work of learning coping skills, and how to be happy, or at least, content.
Pretty much the same thing our therapist is saying, so at least they're on the same page.
I have to agree. At this point, just having difficult child not whale something at me, and say hello when he comes in the door is a major accomplishment.

I like the way your difficult child's psychiatrist and therapist think! Sorry your difficult child is so grumpy but it's good he isn't too depressed. I don't remember the exact dose difficult child 1 was on. Hope you continue to see improvement in his behavior... SFR

zaftigmama

You sound like you've got a good psychiatrist. The carb stuff can be related to his mood disorder--a secondary symptom of bipolar II is carbohydrate cravings.

jennd23

I like the way his doctors think, that's great! Glad you see some improvement! Abilify makes my son want to eat all the time, constantly hungry. I just try to keep healthy stuff on hand and hope for the best. Yogurt is his go to snack so that's good. I wish I could say it will level out, but I haven't noticed that :)