More hope for upcoming IEP meeting

flutterby

Fly away!
After speaking with PCA, the school psychiatric is really liking the idea of keeping difficult child in her regular classes - where it's a better fit academically - and having an aide in the class to assist her when she needs it, among other things.

:surprise:

The meeting hasn't happened yet, and I'm not going to get my hopes up....but it's just....wow. FINALLY! I feel like just maybe I can quit banging my head against that particular brick wall.

I really wish we could have had this guy before high school. Imagine the progress that could have been made by now.

Keep your fingers crossed, please!

whatamess

All parts are crossed for you and your difficult child. Your daughter has a right to the least restrictive environment, and if that environment is the reg. ed. room with supplemental aids and services, the law (IDEA2004) protects you. You must get it written into the IEP though. Even if they talk about it at the IEP, if it's not actually written in, it won't happen.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If they refuse to give her the aid, get a....help me guys, notice of action refused? Is that right?

Basically its a little form that says they declined to give her the aid.

Won't help you now, but if she starts having problems and you have to go back to the table, you can bring that out and say we tried your way, now how 'bout mine...just gives you a little more leverage to work with if you need it.

tictoc

I hope you get the aide! That can make such a huge difference. Do fight to have it written into the IEP...The SD person from Special Education, who has been very good generally, tried to say it didn't have to be written into the IEP, which did not sit well with husband and me. We insisted on it being in the IEP and the SD complied.