More meat questions

Lothlorien

2 questions

1) How would you cook a lamb shoulder roast? It's rolled and tied.

2) How would you cook a flat iron steak?

Star*

call 911........call 911
you need to shave the sheep first. Just tying up the shoulder is like giving him a splint -

The lamb? 325, in a roaster with a bit of water and set it on cut up onions for about the same amt. of time you cook a turkey. Serve with mint jelly.

THe flat iron steak - OMG love these - YUM.........NO OTHER WAY but in the broiler - with lots of MOnterey seasoning. You can cook them in an electric skillet - but broiling is delicious, leaves them tender and serve with Lea & Perrins worcherstershireirowueoiruwoeiruwoeiruwoe sauce

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Another one who doesn't know what a "flat iron steak is" .....I'm thinking "round steak" but probably am not right.

Star, your way to cook a lamb roast sounds much yummier than mother in law's way. Not that her's was bad, but I'm not partial to lemon juice. lol

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Use your own flavorings, maybe rosemary and white wine, rather than the cream. This looks like Polish to me!

I might serve it with a gremolata.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I grill my flat iron steak! Love it!
I make a teriyaki sauce, place it all in a zip-lock in the a.m. or a couple hours prior to grilling...
Cook and yummy!!! I like mine, seared really well, but cooke pretty rare.
I also do a cumin, garlic, cayenne, cilantro,olive oil, worcherstershireereiersshire sauce! Cain't spell it!!! Put it in the bag and marinade it, grill...

I serve this in tortillas with grilled corn and fresh salsa and guac!
Both work with Flank steak or tri-tip.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
On the lamb roast, I put cuts in the meat and put fresh garlic cloves in them, then seal it up in tin foil, after putting more minced garlic at bottom of it, with lots of fresh cilantro, and put in the oven to roast.

I love hot roasted lamb with garlic if you haven't figured it out.

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sigh.

You people are making my mouth water.

All I could manage tonight was the phone number for Pizza Hut. :(

Marcie... I LOVE LAMB! Sadly, I'm the only one in the house who does. Tell ya what? YOU let me know next time you're cookin' it and I'll be RIGHT over! I won't even need directions... I'll just follow my nose north on the 57!

susiestar

Roll With It
I cut flat iron steak into strips and then marinate in fajita seasoning and broil. Or cook over the grill in a basket with the peppers and onions.

YUM. Esp with potatoes chopped up and cooked in foil packets on the grill. fresh garlic and some chives and peppers in the potatoes, then but a little butter on them when done.

Now I am HUNGRY HUNGrY HIPPO!!

Lothlorien

One more question.....what temperature should the lamb be?
They say to cook pork to 160, but that is way too dry, so I tend to go about 145.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I cook the lamb at 325 - its already wrapped in foil and in a covered roasting pan for more than an hour, but can't tell you exactly how long because I just keep checking it after that.

GCV, no one in my house is overly fond of lamb either - the boys eat it only because its a type of meat, and they love meat, but its serving is religated to Xmas and Easter where their presence is demanded at a sit down dinner at the dining table LOL I would make it more often if it wasn't so dang expensive. If I get a lamb urge, I have lunch at the local Indian restaurant where they have a buffet lunch and have a good lamb curry.

Marcie