Mother of an 8 year old out of control Aspergers child!

Snowenne

Well I just hope I can find it here in Canada. We dont get alot of the goodies that the states gets :( However, we finally got him on respiridal. Wasnt aware it could take 12 weeks to kick in...ewww...he started it today...I didnt even tell him I just gave it to him with the adderall >< I have looked into the neurofeedback and found one an hour away. But man its pricey :( He had his first Occupational Therapist (OT) appointment wednesday...did really good with her and found out that he has more sensories including the tactile sensitivties that we didnt know. But right now im concerned about his not wanting to poo and afraid that they may admit him to the hospital to see why hes doing it...Dont know what that would do to him ><

Marguerite

But right now im concerned about his not wanting to poo and afraid that they may admit him to the hospital to see why hes doing it...Dont know what that would do to him

Sensory integration problems are common in Asperger's and autism. They are just not tuned in to their body signals. Throw in any sense of shame or disgust over excretion and you get hat we found in our boys - a belief that it can be eradicated and permanently put behind them with a matter of pure willpower. And nobody does willpower like an Aspie!

I really think you need to see an Occupational Therapist for the sensory issues as well as a cheaper direction to the neurofeedback. If you have to drive for an hour, you clearly will find it difficult to do every day, or even more than once a week. And frankly, from my own experience and my sister's with her son - once a week is not enough.

I really get cranky with the supply and demand approach to billing for services like this. They price it out of reach of the people who most need it, and when you fork over big bucks for stuff that is not always enough anyway, it also means you haven't got the funds for other services the child might also need. My sister was able to have really good neurofeedback therapy for her son, all set up according to Occupational Therapist (OT) instructions, in their own garage. The boy would go out to the garage every afternoon after school.

It's like the difference between buying a gym membership, or finding the exact same exercises to work out in your own home. You could buy hand weights, or you could grab a couple of cans of soup from your cupboard. I remember when I'd just given birth to difficult child 1 after having been on bed rest for months, I joined a gym to get fit. And they gave me a floor routine which I had to do, mostly involving sit-ups. I could have done it anywhere, including at home. I gained absolutely nothing from the gym membership, I didn't even have a trainer stay with me after the first day.

Marg