Mother's Day Tears, Jeers, & Grumble Thread

SRL

Congratulations to all for surviving another year! Your difficult child's are very creative in their expressions of mother honoring.

This year I was awakened by my difficult child kitty at 4am with a gift of a freshly killed sock from the laundry room. I can hardly get mad about the 4 am thing because like the preschooler that's made a huge mess to make you the perfect treasure, he's so pure hearted and so proud I see right past it.

Last year I made Baked Beans For 25 On My Special Day. This year I was determined not to cook so I was going to pick up a veggie tray at the store and wouldn't you know they didn't look fresh? Making the trip across town during graduation weekend didn't sound fun either so I wound up making a Veggie Tray For 20 On my Special Day. Next year I'm planning to spend it with Helpmehelphim at a restraunt! Who needs this!?

Fran, I know what you're saying that it's about time to be top mom, but I guess it wouldn't mean much were I to demand being treated well on Mother's Day. I was actually less surly than most years, in part because I've realized that what I've always wanted was for my husband to protest loudly that this was a sorry way to treat the mothers. If he hasn't done that by now, it's a totally lost cause, so I've turned my attention to the kids. I've made sure in no uncertain terms that if my boys treat their wives like this on MD, I will *kill* them. This means I'll probably be sitting home alone on MD when I'm old, but so be it. This is one family tradition that's got to go.

When I arrived home I had a bra and five socks waiting for me on the kitchen floor from the cat. :angel:

Fran

Former desparate mom
:rofl: I love the gifts from the cat.
SRL, sorry to hear you still ended up doing veggies.
easy child had the poor manners to come in from out of town with husband and not say much. He came by and gave me the quick little peck on the cheek and a very lackadaisical HMD. I asked that the "kids"(23,18 & 17) clean the kitchen in a way that would make me happy. Needless to say Monday AM, I am cleaning the kitchen. easy child got an earful about honoring those that love you and giving back. I appreciate that demanding the respect sort of dulls the finish of the sentiment but I really want my kids to see that everything isn't about them.
There are birthdays and graduations and I posed the question of "what would you do?" if I gave him the attention that he gave me or his dad?

It's unfortunate that husband is not stepping up to set the example for his children.
I guess I figure it's a life lesson type thing. It's not really about me or the card or anything so silly. It's about being part of the household with giving and caring and not just the child.
easy child went to school with not much of a smile but he bounced back and has really done a lovely job of trying.
Foster daughter wrote a beautiful note. She also was reminded of giving. I walk a more delicate line with her than my easy child.
difficult child cleaned his car at my request as my gift. :bravo:
They are good kids in general but they aren't quite done cooking.
A little reality check from time to time is still needed.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Love this post.

Fran, I can so identify with yours. husband took the little kids to the farm with him for 3 hours Mother's Day morning. I wanted to really get some mucho-cleaning done, it was really bothering me. difficult child 1 didn't sleep in as late as normal, so all cleaning took place around him. He was kind enough to move without being asked, tho! HMD!