Motorcycle for 3rd grader????

susiestar

Roll With It
The people up the street with kids who are Tyler's age got their boys a motorcycle/motorbike for passing 2nd grade. The boys are going at least 20mph on it, they passed my CAR!!

Of course no helmet (OK has no helmet law for motorcycle), but they have cool gloves to wear!!

I think I am glad she won't let them play with children not of their religion.

If they end up in my end of the street with that (we live on gravel) I will have a cow. And I am sure that they will be hurt, dad works all the time (no choice, they ahve 5 kids and she is preg again) and Mom just can't supervise them all.

Why, why why would you buy an 8 or 9 year old something like that?? While it is sized for them, it clearly is sooo dangerous (esp because they live on the corner and the other road has a 45mph speed limit!!).

Sigh.

witzend

There's a lot of incompetence in that post. Not the least of which is why would you buy a gift that expensive for a kid - whatever it is - if you are working like crazy because you can't afford to raise all of your children on just 40 hours a week?

Andy

There might also be a law that only licensed drivers 12 years and older can be on the road. That means they need to stay in their own yard.

If they do come close to your place on gravel and are recklous, I wouldn't hesitate to call police to report unsafe motorist near your home - they are putting your kids in danger of being hit.

If kid gets motorcycle at this age the father better start working for a vehicle for each child as they turn 16 yrs cause you darn well know that is their next plan.

TerryJ2

What religion is that? Indulgitarianism?
Our neighbors did the same thing. We have a law that you have to be 12 or something, plus wear helmets. The kids were wild and obnoxious. Some nice neighbor (not I, but I thought about it!) called the police, and an officer talked to the kids for a long time.
They calmed down a bit after that. Still, it ruined our nice little cul de sac.

witzend

Susie, come to think of it, if he is riding on the public street, he needs a driver's license. Being that he is only 9 years old, I doubt he has one... ;)

Here are the laws for riding a motorcycle (adult) on the street in OK:

A. In addition to other requirements prescribed by this chapter, by federal law or by local ordinance, all motorcycles, except when operated on actual trail rides conducted outside of public roads and highways, shall be equipped with:
1. Two rearview mirrors, containing a reflection surface of not less than three (3) inches in diameter, mounted one on each side of the motorcycle and positioned so as to enable the operator to clearly view the roadway to the rear of the vehicle;
2. A windshield of sufficient quality, size and thickness to protect the operator from foreign objects, except that in lieu of such windshield, the operator shall wear goggles or other protective eyewear which meets American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z87.1 and provides positive retention, or a face shield of material and design to protect the operator from foreign objects;
3. A properly operating speedometer capable of registering at least the maximum legal speed limit for that motorcycle;
4. A fender over each wheel. All fenders shall be of the type provided by the manufacturer;
5. A horn which shall comply with the requirements of Section 12-401 of this title; and
6. A muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system which shall comply with the requirements of Section 12-402 of this title.
B. No person under eighteen (18) years of age shall operate or ride upon any motorcycle unless such person is properly wearing a crash helmet of a type which complies with standards established by 49 C.F.R., Section 571.218.
C. Handlebars on motorcycles shall not be higher than eye level of the operator.

Lothlorien

Email the police department, director of traffic safety (if that'a what you have). Have you seen my posts about the quads and the 6 year old? He almost died last week and they let him right back on it a half hour later.

Some parents should be forced into parenting classes.....they are a pair, for sure!

It's illegal and I would be on the phone bugging the heck out of the police department. It is endangering the lives of any children who could possibly get in the path of that child.