Mozzies! Grrrrr!

Marg's Man

Marg and I can so relate to this one of Lynne's cartoons.

Our place in the bush is near a lagoon that breeds swarms of very large and very thirsty mosquitoes. We often joke, but not too seriously, that one landed at Sydney Airport (only a few kilometres by air away) and 2 tonnes of jet fuel was pumped in before they realised the mistake.

The sound effects that were generated in the wee small hours by difficult child 1 he went on his hunting expeditions sounded in those hours like a S.W.A.T. raid - with the emphasis on swat! We had long arguments also because he wanted to leave the splattered remains of his 'conquests' on the walls and ceiling to "serve as a warning to those that follow".

We could never convince him that this would not, could not work with mozzies.

Marg's Man

H

HaoZi

Mozzies... I've never heard of 'skeeters being called that. I learned something new today :D

keista

Love it! I can so relate. "They" say that mosquitoes are out only during dawn and dusk. By me, they are out 24/7. They usually breed in stagnant water, but somehow I had a HUGE colony of them in husband's old toolbox - not a drop of water to be found.

H

HaoZi

Keista, there are many types in FL. I recall when the Asian Tiger breed first got there (and brought Eastern Equine Encephalitis with it, joy) and it's a daytime skeeter. The more common breed you saw before that was nocturnal. Get some bat boxes and dragonfly larva (they eat skeeter babies and the grown dragonflies eat grown skeeters).

keista

Got dragonflies galore around here - really pretty ones too! We have bats in the neighborhood, but I do have batboxes on my "add to the yard" list. I just need many more 'round tuits' to get things done.

H

HaoZi

I love dragonflies, don't see em up here much. I recall sitting on the porch back home and watching an Asian Tiger buzz near my knee. Suddenly it was gone, a dragonfly was hovering there instead, an inch from me. It tilted its head at me, hovered another few seconds, then flew away. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

H

HaoZi

Awww poor thing! I hope it wasn't hurt. There's an infection (fungal I think) killing a lot of bats in the U.S. and no known cure. :( Pretty much no funding to help them, either.

InsaneCdn

Our place in the bush is near a lagoon that breeds swarms of very large and very thirsty mosquitoes. We often joke, but not too seriously, that one landed at Sydney Airport (only a few kilometres by air away) and 2 tonnes of jet fuel was pumped in before they realised the mistake.

Did you ever see a Canadian Bushwhackers Mosquito Trap?