Music we listen to....Past and Present

New Leaf

I want Sam Beam to write the soundtrack of my life.
(He's already touched on it a few songs. He must have some secret CCTV cameras stashed around my house, giving him ideas ...)
Love Sam Beam and Natalie Merchant.:thumbsup:
We were spoilt in the 60s and 70s and 80s weren't we? There was so much good music around.
We were spoiled, that is for sure.

I suppose I'm a bit eclectic. Classical. Jazz. Klezmer. Barbershop. Classic Country. Classic Rock (Beatles, Beach Boys, etc.). Inspirational. Spiritual. Pipes - traditional organ pipes, panpipes, bagpipes...

Can be vocal or instrumental.
I am eclectic too, enjoy a lot of very different stuff, what works some days, doesn't for others though, depends on my mood, and what I am doing at the time.....

The other day my son was in the car and I had Radio Margaritaville playing on Sirius. Some Bob Marley came on and I turned it up. His remark was "The only people I know who like this are serious stoners...and my mom."
Hahaha! This is one of my very fave songs, my Hoku would fall asleep to it when she was a baby as I held her and danced. So, of course we played it A LOT!

Love reggae, there are modern "Jawaiian" groups here that play a mixture of Hawaiian and reggae. Here is a sample.......

If I had to listen only to a few albums for the rest of my life, they would be (in no particular order), Grease, Aida, Bruce's first greatest hits album, Pat Benatar's Greatest Hits and the CD my daughter made of her original music (she leans to folkie-indy type stuff).
Wow, Sven that is quite a mix. Two of my girls absolutely love Grease, can sing ALL of the songs. I think they have truly bonded because of this, LOL.
That is so cool that you have a CD of your daughters music!

Even though I listen to several Top 40 radio stations, I don't have any current favorite artists. There are songs I like that have good words - a necessity for me - but all from different artists. Unless you want country or hair bands, our local radio options svck.
OH KT,that is hard when a good song is nowhere to be found on the radio. Thank goodness for AOL radio or itunes!

Have you heard this cover of The Sound of Silence?
That was awesome, Lil, as I was listening to this version, my son came out and said "I LOVE THIS SONG!" Of course, I told him it is an old classic and that his mother is still cool..........
OMG the Johnny Cash version of Hurt could be the cover for the Substance Abuse forum........

Going to see Heart, Joan Jett and Supertramp (all one concert) at the lakefront this summer as well as Coldplay. I also just saw Maroon 5 and Shania Twain so I'm all over the map. Also enjoy old rock like Aerosmith, Eagles etc. Love music!!
Me too RN, music is such a wonderful gift. How exciting to look forward to lakefront concerts.
Love Coldplay
Another song that could be a cover for Substance Abuse, or even the P.E. forum........

Thanks gang for your responses, it is great to know the many varieties of music that enrich our lives......

(((HUGS)))
leafy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love all of this - my musical tastes are all over the place. Classic rock (think Eagles, ELO); hard rock/metal (Van Halen, Metallica); country, both old (George Jones, Charley Pride) and new (Brad Paisley); Celtic (Loreena McKennitt); pop (Train, Adele, Coldplay); alternative (Depeche Mode, Tori Amos), hardcore alt rock (Nine Inch Nails, Nitzer Ebb), punk (including alt punk like Sex Pistols)... I can't even think of who all I like. My all-time favorite band is probably Duran Duran (since 1985, baby!)

The one thing I don't much like is rap.

New Leaf

Ha...I just realized you can scroll thru my "Awesome Music" playlist on these embedded videos and see how eclectic my taste really is. lol
Way cool, Lil, that is one great way to get to "know" someone!

Leafy I really enjoyed that first video. Hawaii is so beautiful...I'd love to visit someday. But I'm afraid I'd never want to leave. :) I only know one Hawaiian artist. Not exactly a Hawaiian song though:
Why thank you, as I enjoyed the videos you shared, mahalo. Many people come and do not leave......lol

Thats IZ, what an icon to these islands. He had this presence about him. I was very blessed to see him in concert.

We are looking forward to the upcoming Merry Monarch hula festival in Hilo. I will watch from the comfort of my living room, three nights of hula competition and awesome music......the first nights are in the ancient, or kahiko style with chants, the last, auana, or modern. It will be a weekend of culture, so pleasing to the eye as the variety of flower lei adornments and costumes fill the stage.
Here is a sample of some Hawaiian music and dance from a past festival
Kahiko....or ancient....
This chant is a good example of "hidden" meanings. It is a procreation chant explained in the newspaper article
"But Eselu was more careful talking about his hula kahiko, the robust “;Tu 'Oe,”; a traditional style of dance called hula 'ohelo that Eselu said is rarely seen today. It was a tough-minded and disciplined hula Eselu's kane performed to a procreation chant, made more explicit—without being vulgar—with extended arm and leg thrusts alternating to each side that grew progressively intense."
The hula tells of the loading of a cannon.........the rest is left to ones imagination.......

Modern- Auana

Got to love Hawaii!

leafy

svengandhi

New Leaf -

What is even more bizarre is that other people have my daughter's CD and they paid actual money for it! She and I went to Vegas awhile ago to see (speaking of eclectic) Britney Spears and Celine Dion in concert). One day, she took out her ukulele and played Britney songs outside our hotel. In 20 minutes, she had earned $40!

I forgot about Don't Fear the reaper. At risk of too much information, members of the band used to live near my area, but not while I lived there. For the longest time, whenever we turned the radio on in the car, either Don't Fear the Reaper or Boston's More than A Feeling would be playing. They are oldest boy's favorite non-country songs.

Grease is an awesome play. When I was a teenager, I saw it on Broadway with John Travolta as Danny Zuko.

Californiablonde

For the most part I am a die hard hard rock/metal chick. I love bands like Metallica, Three Days Grace, and Korn. I also like some 80's females like Pat Benetar and Stevie Nicks. I do like to listen to Lady Gaga every now and then and Pink is great in concert. I guess I like a bit of everything, except country.

New Leaf

I love all of this - my musical tastes are all over the place. Classic rock (think Eagles, ELO); hard rock/metal (Van Halen, Metallica); country, both old (George Jones, Charley Pride) and new (Brad Paisley); Celtic (Loreena McKennitt); pop (Train, Adele, Coldplay); alternative (Depeche Mode, Tori Amos), hardcore alt rock (Nine Inch Nails, Nitzer Ebb), punk (including alt punk like Sex Pistols)... I can't even think of who all I like. My all-time favorite band is probably Duran Duran (since 1985, baby!)

The one thing I don't much like is rap.
Whoa Annie you are all over the place...lol, me too. There are really too many good groups to mention.....I don't much care for rap either.....attribute a lot of the 80s stuff to the down fall of the now 30 somethings.....

For the most part I am a die hard hard rock/metal chick. I love bands like Metallica, Three Days Grace, and Korn. I also like some 80's females like Pat Benetar and Stevie Nicks. I do like to listen to Lady Gaga every now and then and Pink is great in concert. I guess I like a bit of everything, except country.
Pink is great, Gwen Stefani too. Stevie Nicks is amazing. Fleetwood Mac had some great music. CB do you like any Hawaiian music? Your trip is coming up so soon........
leafy

Nature

OMG!! You guys are my soul sisters! When I first saw the post I immediately thought of my current favorite songs and thought I should post a link. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this had already been done. The Sound of Silence (new version is currently one of my favorites that I've listened to over and over again. Another all time favorite , Somewhere over the Rainbow by Israel K and Lil and Leaf both posted those songs.
I too have eclectic taste and enjoy music from different genres it depends on my mood. In my younger days I enjoyed songs I could dance to but also enjoyed music that had deeper meaning in quieter moments. I loved One Tin Soldier for it's message.
I can't leave here without posting my own battle song.

AppleCori

I have never been a big consumer of either music or movies.

I listen to the radio occasionally in the car, mostly Christian pop or Classical,when my daughter is with me.

I have leaned to enjoy some Country Music since I have been with hubby though. I love the patriotic songs.

We just took a big car trip to National Parks in several states (3500 miles on the truck) and I enjoyed some of hubby's songs. "You Should Have Seen It In Color" is just a beautiful homage to the greatest generation.

Californiablonde

Whoa Annie you are all over the place...lol, me too. There are really too many good groups to mention.....I don't much care for rap either.....attribute a lot of the 80s stuff to the down fall of the now 30 somethings.....

Pink is great, Gwen Stefani too. Stevie Nicks is amazing. Fleetwood Mac had some great music. CB do you like any Hawaiian music? Your trip is coming up so soon........
leafy
I love Gwen Stefani too. I think it' awesome she grew up about a half hour away from where I live. I don't much care for Hawaiian music, but it's tolerable.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I find the version of 'Sounds of Silence' by Disturbed to be...well...disturbing. I much prefer the original Simon and Garfunkle version.

I do like some of Lady Gaga's vocal work, and am a fan of Pink, who has a helluva voice when she chooses to use it.

New Leaf

Okay, at the risk of appearing to be weird, well never mind....... too late, LOL.
(I think weird is good by the way, meaning daring to be different weird.)
I am fascinated by David Bowies (RIP), Blackstar release. It is jazzy and strange and ethereal.....notice I said fascinated, I do not particularly like it, but it is odd, and strange, okay I like odd and strange, it makes me think, what was he thinking? This song comes up every so often on my AOL radio station and my son always says "Mom this song is so weird......" And I reply, "I think it is kind of cool....." The video is very weird......
Bowie was way out there in the 70's even, not afraid to be different. He is another icon of our times who passed this year in January.

here is an interesting article abut the album........
http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-bowie-blackstar-elvis-crowley-villa-of-ormen

leafy