My 12 year old little boy has autisum and oppositional defience disorder

I was just wondering if there is anybody out there that has any advice on how to deal with o.d.d. and autisum. my son was diagnosed when he was 2 and its been a battle everyday since then. just when i think hes doing much better he goes back ward like fifty steps its so frusterating. I just want to be able to help him with his anger and outbursts but not sure what to do hes at the point now were he thinks its funny to hurt his brother or pick on the animals. how do i get him to stop and relize that its not funny its bullying and scary. worryed its just going to get worse?

InsaneCdn

Hi, and welcome.
You're starting from a better spot than many of us... at least you have a clue as to what the diagnosis is. And yes, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are a handful.

What kinds of interventions and accommodations are in place? both at home, and at school.
Is he on an IEP?
What other dxes does he have? because... Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) has lots of other things that are part of the parcel... things like motor skills challenges, sensory processing differences, auditory processing disorders...

BusynMember

Well, many Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are easygoing and not a handful. Depends on how high functioning they are, their dispositions and if they get the right kind of help. What services is your child getting? Are you expecting him to behave like a typical child?
I have a son on the spectrum (and know other kids on the spectrum through a large parenting group). Some, like mine, are angels with challenges. Some are very difficult. ALL Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids should get help that is specific to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and the ODD behaviors will get smoother or go away. Strictly medication is not the way to go with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). What have you tried? Have you gotten him an IEP at school? Was this child adopted? His cruelty to animals and his brother are not typical of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Did he ever have a chaotic time in his life? Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are rarely bullies. Most are the ones who GET bullied, making me question the diagnosis. I think we know his story more before we can help you.

Welcome to the board though and really sorry you had to come. Look forward to hearing more :)

Hello, ok when my son was 2 they diagnosed him with odd because of his behavoir as he got older it just kept increasing he is my biological son, also he is in counceling and he sees a phyciatrist, i dont expect him to behave like a normal child i know that my child has challenges that dont make him different they make him who he is. last year when his behavoir was spiralling out of control he went to shodair childrens hospital and they couldent handle him or figure out what was going on but knew that he needed help so we decided together that having him go to acadia in butte was the best option so he was in there facility four 4 months in which i went there 4 times a week and was envolved in his treatment plan as well as counceling sessions. that worked out for the best when he returned hm he had emotions and he laughed and cryed which he had little to no emotions before he went. they diagnosed him with o.d.d. social angiety, major empulsive explosive disorder, autisum, i belive they even said that he may or may not have bipolar whith that he is on medication to help with all that but just withen the past few months his behavior is starting to sprial down. i can feel that something is bothering him inside. but i just cant nor can the thereipest get him to talk about it. the only person that has ever got him to open up is the counceler at acadia. she got him to talk about what he calles the worry man inside his head he used to tell her when he was there and when he was not. however ive tryed getting a hold lof her and i found out she no longer works there so i was just looking to see if possibbly mabye somebody out there is having a simular situation and knows where i mabye could take a class to learn more about odd or if anybody had advice that would help me. i love my children i would do anything to help them.

InsaneCdn

they diagnosed him with o.d.d. social angiety, major empulsive explosive disorder, autisum, i belive they even said that he may or may not have bipolar

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/for...tional-defience-disorder-53911/#ixzz2UE2snqsm
Ummm... autism pretty much wipes out all the other dxes except bi-polar.
And typical tdocs don't work for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids.

Has he ever had a formal, comprehensive evaluation? and an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation (sensory and motor skills)... some comp evaluations are team-based and include Occupational Therapist (OT), many do not.

ODD in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids is typically an attempt to reduce chaos by being in control. It doesn't work well... but it's a sign that things are out of order. As a diagnosis, ODD gives you nothing except a label - which sometimes, at least acknowledges that there is a problem. I think of it as a "placeholder" diagnosis... semi-useful only until you get something better.

Have you done any reading up on parenting Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids?

BusynMember

Personally? The worry man in the head doesn't sound like autism to me.

I'd take him to a neuropsychologist for a second opinion. This is NOT a psycvhiatrist and will give you a very intensive look into who and what your son is and why he acts like he does. I mean, he could have autism and other stuff too. I'm wondering if he hears voices that aren't there. Does he ever mention any "imaginery friends" who aren't there? Does he say he sees things that aren't there? Or is it just the worry man? It is hard to talk to autistics because they tend to interpret conversation very literally.

At any rate, good luck and I'd definitely get more i

I've always felt ODD is what a therapist tells a parent when a child is acting out and the person has no idea why. I don't think it's very useful and it rarely stands alone.