My 16 month old

quietplz

Thank you for your reply, SRL.

She has not been seen by a developmental pediatrician as yet. They have not mentioned seeing one. They seem to feel that she is too little to tell if she is only delayed or on the spectrum. Is this something which I should push for?

The sensory integration dysfunction article makes so much sense. There are more things that I didn't mention, like hating the feel of sticky things, the sound or feel of running water, and screaming like she is being murdered if she has to be in a moving vehicle. The speech therapist said today that she had spoken to the case worker and they want to have her reevaluated by an occupational therapist because of her senses.That person would be coming on the 14th of this month to see her. What would this person do if it is decided that she needs to see an occupational therapist? The speech therapist said I would be taught to brush her and squish her so that she would be happier in the day, but I do not understand.

What manner of things ought I get on video and to what purpose? Thank you for all of your help and information. It is much appreciated, there is so much I don't know.

SRL

If you have time to read the book The Out of Sync Child before the Occupational Therapist (OT) comes, it would really help you get an idea of what Sensory issues are all about.

I don't think it's too young for her to be scheduled with a developmental pediatrician or an Autism Clinic, especially since it often takes at least 3 months for the first appointment. I'd make an appointment with her pediatrician and tell him you're now seeing sensory issues in addition to the speech delays and that her unusual behaviors have intensified and that you want a referral. If he balks because she is more social than he's expecting tell him there's quite a range in social skills at this age with spectrum kids because it's a spectrum. :)

Honestly, if he won't listen to you I'd go looking for a new doctor.

SRL

I'd video unusual actions and play behaviors--lining up toys or objects, twirling, spinning, or flapping hand motions, etc.