My 2nd annual june bug thread

flutterby

Fly away!
Ewww Ewww Ewww Ewww Eww!!!

They are ugly, nasty, horrible, gross, disgusting, creepy, gives-me-the-creepy-crawlies, horrid little alien creatures. :alien:

Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them.

They've been smacking into my windows all night.

Thud. Thud. Thud. And an occasional THWACK when one brave (or stupid) one tried really hard to get in. :faint:

bleck bleck bleck bleck bleck :sick:

I'm so phobic. You should see me taking the dog out at night. I'm sure it's really entertaining to the neighbors. :rofl:

susiestar

Roll With It
I am with you on the hating June Bugs. The first year we lived here in OK I was in jr high. During "June Bug Season" EVERY step you took from the bus to the building was carpeted with the nasty little exoskeleton wearing ickybods. EVERY.SINGLE.STEP.

I shudder just remembering that.

And I remember several of the boys either throwing them on us, putting them on our sleeve from behind us, and even picking them up and taking them inside to "prank" other students and teachers.

Just gross!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Had that been ME at your jr. high? I would have been suspended because any boy who did that to me with those nasty disgusting things.....I would have decked them.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We get them all summer. Which is why I stopped sitting outside after sunset.

Digustingly gross lil buggers. Make my skin crawl. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Doesn't matter that they can't hurt you. They are one of two things that can cause me to go all female and make a fool of myself. ugh

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Now for me, it's spiders....

ANYTHING but a spider.

Roaches
Snakes
Centipedes

All OK as long as I don't have to see any spiders....

I used to live in an area where there weren't any poisonous varieties, and folks used to laugh at me for being so phobic. But now that I live in an area with plenty of black widows and the brown recluse--nobody laughs at me anymore. And now I don't feel so stupid for being afraid.

Perhaps we could start an internet rumor that the June bugs are actually the ones carrying the Swine Flu virus? Then everyone would be scared to death of them and folks would start having them exterminated.

Just an idea...

--DaisyF

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
All bugs, all the time. Hate them, hate them, hate them. Last night I swatted a giant mosquito in my kitchen using the towel. Since our ant problem hasn't been fully resolved, I can now just kill them with my bare hands and feet, pick them up and throw them out. I killed a random wasp that got into my house yesterday morning. He was resting on my curtains so I swatted him down and stepped on him. My dog Nala finished him off by eating him. It's almost time to spray my lawn for beetles. No remorse. I hate bugs.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I know it was a regular routine to wash your car from them. It's like a coating of dead bugs. I feel for you.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you spray PAM on the front grill of your car a couple times a week those bugs will wipe right off with a paper towel. Then reapply.

I KNEW this thread was coming - lol - I was looking forward to invisioning you jumping around, screaming GET IT GET IT.....lol

TOTORO - we have bugs to save......dat dah dha dhaaaaaa......

SOrry FLutter - just makes me laugh

DammitJanet

I dont know what was in my house last night but I was terrified. I dont like flying things. I can handle roaches and ants. Even mice dont bother me except that I know that snakes follow the mice and I am absolutely phobic about snakes.

I hate bees and wasps and flying insects. I can usually kill these flying things because they eventually land somewhere and I can get the bug spray or a magazine and sqwash them. Last night? This big old flying thing was buzzing around my bedroom light and it wouldnt land anywhere! I was ducking under my covers and peaking out at it for about 15 minutes. Then I got up the courage to run to the door of the bathroom and watch from there. He never landed. So I ran from my room and shut the light off and left the bathroom light on hoping to entice him into the bathroom so I could capture him there.

That didnt work and I have no idea where the bug went. Im afraid...Im very afraid!

(Did I mention Tony is away from home!)

trinityroyal

Eeeew Eeeewww EEEWWWW!
Heather, I`m right there with you, up on the back of the sofa screaming.
Hate, Hate, HATE creepy crawly things.

The bane of my existence is the shadfly.

Luckily we don`t get them in my neck of the woods, but I often have to travel for work to a little town that gets simply infested with them every year.

Last summer when we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, they were falling from the sky like snowflakes, coating the walls, and getting EVERYWHERE. Eeeew!

(I actually considered moving to that little northern town until I discovered the horrors of these bugs.)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Right now, you know, the time when you want to be outdoors getting your gardens ready for planting? Now is the time when we become infested with May Flies. These things go up your nose, in your hair and ears and mouth and the worst - in your eyes!! I hate them and wish I could bomb my neighborhood to rid us of them every year! H and I buy those cheap little cigars with the wood tips and just keep them burning to keep these flies away. Ew.

tiredmommy

Had that been ME at your jr. high? I would have been suspended because any boy who did that to me with those nasty disgusting things.....I would have decked them.

I would have done that too.. or perhaps made him eat a fist full!

Eeww! You have my sympathies, Heather.

1tiredmama

When I lived in PA I got to see them and I will tel you they scared the poop out of me when I first saw one, I agree nasty little things.

helpangel

It still amazes me how a difficult child who is terrified of a little fuzzy caterpillar can get such entertainment chasing me with a nasty June bug. Every summer I have trouble with my girls keeping unauthorized pets in the tent (June bugs are either pets or food for the snake, frog or turtle they have snuck in). Whatever they are for I hate them.

flutterby

Fly away!
It's ok, Star. You can laugh away. You're image is probably pretty dead on. :rofl:

Trinity, those things are horrible! *shudder* OMG. I've never seen such a thing with that many in one place. I would be in my car with the windows rolled up and you wouldn't get me out for anything. Car's on fire? Still better than being out there with *those things*.

One june bug got in the house last year. And the cats let it get away! I was so upset. Walking around with my toes curled up. my arms pulled in front of my chest, hunched over...trying to make myself as small as possible...and taking teeny tiny baby steps. Ugh.

trinityroyal

Trinity, those things are horrible! *shudder* OMG. I've never seen such a thing with that many in one place. I would be in my car with the windows rolled up and you wouldn't get me out for anything.

That's EXACTLY how I felt!

I sat in the truck cowering and whimpering, trying to figure out whether I'd be better to just sleep there with the nasty bugs pinging against the windows all night, or whether I'd best figure out a way to get myself into the hotel.

husband eventually found me a back door to the hotel, parked right next to it and held it open while I made a mad dash across the 2 feet from the truck to the building. Yuck! Yuck! YUCK!

Weirdest thing about shadflies...they don't have any mouths. They are strictly prey. They hatch in enormous numbers every year, then the local birds and fish eat them, and then they're gone.

We don't get june bugs here, but we have tons of centipedes. I know that toes-curled-in-arms-against-the chest-cowering walk very well.

Eeeew! Sending exterminating vibes your way. Hope they stay far far away.

Trinity