My daughter self diagnosed!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
So it seems there was some program on MTV that discussed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) one night and anger issues the next. The first night she comes down and tells me she believes she is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) because she has little rituals and sometimes washes her hand several times (something I never saw or knew about her). Next night she comes down and says she has anger management issues (DUH!!!, she's unofficially diagnosed with ODD). Who needs a shrink - I have a difficult child!!!!

She's not exactly a clean freak (by ANY stretch of the imagination and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) never occurred to me) Now I have to research this and find out the signs of one more label to add to the bag. We're moving in about 2 months and will see what I can get for funding for testing at that time as we are so broke I can't afford anything at all. Why don'y they come with an ingredient list??!! At least then we would know what we're dealing with!! Ughghghghgh!
-Dara

F

flutterbee

We all have traits of every thing out there. It's when it interferes with daily functioning, interpersonal relationships, etc that it becomes a disorder.

I wash my hands ALL the time. I can't stand to have anything on my hands. I even use my facial moisturizer as my hand cream because I can't stand the oil in the other stuff. I have little rituals, too. But they don't interfere with my daily life. It's just stuff that everyone else would call 'quirks'. We all have them.

Go ahead and look it up, but I would suggest a conversation with difficult child about this, too.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Is that the general rule for all this? Is it only a "problem" if it interferes with daily life? Makes sense, I guess I just wonder what I'm supposed to try to be treating? All of what's wrong - or what interferes with her daily life. We're trying so hard and she's really had a good couple of days for a change - she seems to worry because she never quite fits in. I think that she thinks if she knows "what is wrong" she can make sense of herself a littl better?

jenn4anthony

i think talking to your difficult child is going to help you and her out. MTV has all those types of shows...they, like, everything in life, have their good and bad points.

Josie

I found this online self test that might help her figure it out.

www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)/nimh/screener.htm

My daughter has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but didn't have a lot of the behaviours when she was first diagnosis'ed. She did hoard things and had excessive worries. Now that I know about her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), I see some behaviour that I think is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but I probably wouldn't have thought it was abnormal before. My daughter has also admitted more Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thoughts since she was diagnosis'ed.

If your daughter does have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), that might explain some of her ODD. Coming between a child and a compulsion is never fun for either of you.

Marguerite

At least she's talking to you about it and is willing to accept that there is something wrong. My best friend's daughter is in total denial and is also a master manipulator. And at times, I'm even beginning to wonder about easy child 2/difficult child 2, especially when we get major outbursts every time I try to talk about hr problems and get her back to see her psychologist. "I'm wanting to go see her, but when can I find the time? And I'm just too stressed to even think about it right now..." when surely the whole point is, see the shrink to REDUCE the stress!?

So be open to her talking to you. It's a very valuable thing.

Marg

Jena

hi

i agree with what others have written as well, that when it interferes with everyday life then it's something worth investigating.

i think we can all exhibit many different behaviors from many different disorders, etc. i have my own stuff, it doesn't interfere with everyday life but it's there, my boyfriend tells me all the time so does my family.

anyway with my boyfriend she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with-o a doubt. yet when she's truly stressed is when you'll see it. or when she's in manic episode.

good luck

jen

janebrain

My difficult child 2 has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) traits, her therapist thinks they are due to her dissociative disorder. I can tell you that many of them are hidden--they are internal things she does. She does have some that we see--there is one that involves having to say "bye" when a person leaves her sight. She says "bye" and we have to say "bye"--we have to say it exactly "right" and we have to repeat this ritual til she is satisfied with it. I see her doing off little things when she enters a room and she used to have to flick the light switch many times when turning on a light. She spends a lot of time in the bathroom when she has to go--I think she has some time-consuming rituals she is compelled to do.
I really did not know she had any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) traits for quite some time since she was so discreet about them.
Jane