My difficult child dog got skunked ... great bath recipe1

goldenguru

So Saturday dear doggie came out of the brush foaming at the mouth like she was rapid. Actually it was worse than rabies ... it was skunk oil. OMG. :nonono:

So Sunday she got skunked again. I considered euthanasia the second time however. Lucky for her the vet was closed on Sunday.

I bathed her again in the recipe. :bath:

Sunday afternoon she rolled on a dead bird. True story - all my stories are true.

My advise is to keep the ingredients and recipe on hand for quick access. Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to be in the grocery store shopping or searching the web as your dog is standing on the porch dripping skunk oil. :pet:

Disclaimer:
Be sure not to touch the skunk oil or get it on your clothes.
Be sure not to mix up ahead of time and DO NOT store in a closed container (I used a bucket). Apparently the fumes become pressurized ... and will explode your container.
If your dog is a nice dark shade ... she'll be considerably blonder when done processing. Mine just got blonder (literally ... well figuratively too).

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 Tablespoon liquid soap

Mix together and use immediately. Use this mixture several times until the smell is nearly gone. Use over full body if desired after a couple of bathings on the sprayed area(s) only.

I hope you never need this ... but you will thank me if you ever do! :cool-dog:

TerryJ2

Cool. Thank you. I have 2 dogs ... used to have 4 ... haven't needed this yet but you never know.

What kind of a dog is this (aside from difficult child?) :smile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Bwaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa....our old difficult child doggy was skunked late one night and it was sooooo awful. It had been raining and I let him out to go pee. When I went around the bend of the house, I saw a white fluffed tail sticking out of my garden...I went over, said, "Moh" and quickly backed away because I realized it wasn't our dog. That was the moment that our dog chose to bite the skunk in the :censored2:!!!! OMG, the fog was awful and I ran into the house screaming for H.

Despite a daily bath for a week with the recipe, whenever he got wet, he smelled like skunk. It went up his nose and he was rubbing his whole face in the dirt trying to get the sting(k) out of his nose, we felt so bad. Ugh - that whole summer our house was skunked 4 times!

Recently, difficult child and I were driving and we hit one - we reeked. It was so gross.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks gg. I have 2 relatively new puppies(not really puppies) 2 to 3yrs old who like to sniff through the woods around the house. They seem to always find stinky stuff.
Do I bath with shampoo first then put this stuff on. Do I rinse it off? I haven't bathed these guys yet. So I don't know how well they will do.(had them shaved and bathed before coming into the house)

I would like to get them scrubbed up. They are light furred so I'm assuming this will be like getting highlights? :rofl:

goldenguru

Fran~

If they smell that bad I would just shampoo them with the recipe ... the dish soap lathers up quite well. I would not let it set too long ... it really does bleach the fur.

I have a friend whose goldens are 'in the pond' all summer and smell like wet dog ... she's used the recipe and swears it takes that wet dog odor away as if by magic.

LOL about the highlights ... the solution smells just like a permanent wave ...

Good luck ...