My doctor *might* put me on a stimulant

flutterby

Fly away!
She had told me before that she wouldn't do it unless my cardiologist said it was ok...and she was hesitant about that.

I saw her today. I haven't done the 24 hour urine for the Cushing's test because right after I saw the endocrinologist I had a severe kidney infection. Then because of the antibiotics I had a bad yeast infection that didn't want to go away. And I told my doctor that it would probably be better for me to do the test when I'm up for more than 5 hours a day. Especially because after the urine test, I have to do a dexa-something suppression test, where I take a pill at 11pm and have blood drawn at 8am. The time is very precise, so I would have to be awake at both of those times. And I just cannot get out of bed.

She asked me if we had talked about a sleep study. I told her we had talked about it. :tongue: I don't feel one way or the other about it. I tend to think it's not something that a sleep study is going to help. I've been running a low grade fever constantly for about 2-3 months now.

So, she told me to do the Cushing's test and then she would talk to my cardiologist about putting me on a stimulant to give me some energy (I've been asking for this for months). I told her I hadn't seen him for a while and she said I would probably want to get in touch with him. I don't want to see him, but I suppose I will. I'm tired of doctors. Really tired of them. If nothing comes of the Cushing's test, I'm done looking for answers. Eventually something will happen that they can't deny and we'll go from there.

I told her, FWIW, that I don't have any permanent heart damage from the heart attack. That the echo I had done right after, and subsequent heart caths, showed my heart working efficiently. And I'm having no heart issues now - and haven't.

I'm going to *try* to stay awake tomorrow to do the 24 hour urine and then do the dexa-something suppression test Thursday night. I have to be at difficult child 2's meeting at 10am on Friday anyway. Then, we'll look at adding a stimulant it looks like. I'm kinda nervous about it, actually. Not knowing what it will feel like as I tend to be so sensitive to medications.

So that's that. The tendonitis in my right shoulder is bad again and I can't have a steroid shot til we know something about Cushing's. And my reflux is a lot worse and she doubled my medication. Fun and excitement.

But...did you know that phenegran is *really* good at headaches/migraines? I found that out by accident last night. Unforunately, phenegran makes me sleep. :hammer:

You know...if I were a horse, they'd shoot me. :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope you're able to stay awake to get those tests completed.

Can't say I blame you about how you feel if it doesn't turn out to be the Cushings. It's grueling to have to see docs like you've been and no one being able to come up with answers.

I know for me the worst part would be the consuming fatigue. I get it at times with the kidney disease....but thankfully it's not been as severe or lasts as long as what you've had to deal with. It drives me crazy when it starts up......

Keeping fingers crossed and saying a prayer you get some concrete answers with these tests and the Cushings test.

((hugs))

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, no, honey...difficult child's antique horse is in much worse shape and we keep her around! lol

Just kidding.

Maybe when you try the stimulant you can try an itsy bitsy bit at first. Ease into it. I have learned the hard way its best to do this with difficult child as he is very sensitive to medications, too.

Hugs. I hope they find something for you.

flutterby

Fly away!
The fatigue really bites. I keep thinking of that song, but can't think of the word...it goes.....Ooooohhh, I'm (something) my life away...Looking for a better day...or something like that. Except, I'm sleeping my life away. Ugh.

And people would be amazed cause I would sleep for 16 hours straight and they would ask, "Don't you have to get up and pee???" And, nope, I didn't.

Well.....apparently, I have been. I just don't know it. I've NEVER been a sleep walker, but while difficult child 2 was here, he said I got up and went to the bathroom. He said he talked to me and I just kind of grunted at him and went back to bed. I asked him if I peed and he said he heard the toilet flush. :hammer: That is so foreign to me. I've never in my life sleep walked. Soooo...if I'm sleeping all the time and am apparently sleep walking to pee...kinda defeats the purpose of a 24 hour urine, Know what I mean??

It is bad, though, when every flat surface looks like a bed.

Oh...I did order safety gear for my shower. That's what I call it. :tongue: Hopefully, I won't fall out again. :faint: Hmmm....maybe I should get a helmet, too. :rofl:

On the plus side, my lower back and hips are way, way, way better than they've been in years. It is nice to be able to walk without pain. My mom is coming up Thursday and we're going shopping. I really enjoy it again (I always loved to shop) now that it doesn't hurt so much. I'm really enjoying that part.

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh, Shari, I'm so glad you keep difficult child's antique horse around. She can't help it she's old. :D

I will talk to my gp about starting with a very tiny dose at first. Thank you for pointing that out. I see how it perks up difficult child 2, but am really nervous that I'll be wanting to come out of my skin, Know what I mean??

Any suggestions for which might be the best one to try first?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dexamethasone .....

Cushings test bites - pee in a bottle of vanillaromic acid, store in ice.....pee in bottle, store in ice......repeat....pack bottle in ice - get it to the doctors - and it's a JUG not a bottle and the acid inside smells putrid.

SOrry - that's what you have to look forward to.

Just what I wanted in my fridge - EWWWWWWWW so I got a disposable ice chest, packed in ice and kept that stupid thing in the bathroom. THen just transported the entire thing - to the lab myself. I just knew no one would take care of my ice chest.

The test that is precise......you bet - and don't mess up by one minute. It's not so bad - but what to do while you're waiting?

I sure hope they find SOMETHING this time.....don't you let them say "Oh well nothing here - keep pushing them." I'm behind you!

Hugs
Star

ctmom05

I was on adderall when I had a heart attack and that was the end of stimulant medications for me. My heart function is also back to normal and I am still skeptical about the implications of a stimulant on my cardiac system.

Have a VERY thorough talk with your cardio, mention the possibility of the stimulant medication and see what feedback you get.

KTMom91

Heather, the missing word is "driving." Give me a minute and I'll remember who sang it.

Why do I know these things? I have so much trivia floating around in my head! The other day my brother wanted the book title of a book I had when I was little. I not only remembered the title, I described the book, and told him where it was stored at Mom's. Yup...there it was. But something vital, like the state of the union? Oh, no...I'm driving my life away...

BusynMember

You've probably already had this test, but the one time in my life when all I did was sleep, it turned out I had mono. I was 40 something and had had mono at 17. I thought you could only get it once, but not true. I would go to work, sleep, go to work, sleep, etc. It took about a year to go away. (((Hugs)))