My Dog has Bone Cancer

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Shadow is having her surgery right now. My heart is heavy! None of us slept last night. I should hear news on how she's doing in a few hours.

THANK YOU ALL for your prayers & comfort! I know we are doing the right thing in having the surgery, it's just scarey. Initial diagnosis was "osteo carcoma" which is a very aggressive form of bone cancer, but 2nd opinion said the pathologist hedged a bit on calling it osteo, so we can hope it is a different type, not as aggressive.

I also have absolute faith that she will adjust, as she hopped around on 3 legs for the past 10 days since she broke the left front paw. Up & down the stairs, in & out of the car, and up on our bed with no trouble. My hope is that she recovers swift & regains her balance easily.

Kat! Hi there! Shadow is fed Iams dog food, and is already on glucosamine for her joints (so am I!) Her weight is excellent at just under 70 pounds.

Peace

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Abbey! You ROCK!!

Shadow's surgery was delayed. Supposed to go in at 9:30A, didn't go until Noon.

1:30P report, surgery just finishing up. We were supposed to be able to pick her up at 4P, now we don't know. husband is still set at being there to get her at 4, they may want to keep her overnight.

Things going on the past few months in the background with me & my husband, suffice to say my nerves are frazzled.

Lord, gimme strength!! Of course I want our girl home with us, but I'm not a vet, and if the vet wants her to stay overnight, I would defer to him. aaarrrrgh.

Peace

Star*

call 911........call 911
Must have address for get well card......

(of course Abbey Rocks) I think she knits while she rocks too.

just wanted you to know you are all in our thoughts today.

TerryJ2

I'm still sending healthy fairy dust and rattling rattles for you and Shadow.
Sometimes it's best to keep animals overnight so they can get IV fluids and other things. Ask the vet if there will be someone in the bldg the entire time.
I know you want to hug her ...

witzend

Still thinking of you and Shadow. I think it would be great for you guys to go give her a big hug, even if she isn't released today.

Let us know!

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
That's what we did! Went and gave her a great big hug! :kisses:We didn't hear anything about her release, so we showed up there at 4:30. We were told at that point, they would keep her overnight.

There was no argument from husband.

Shadow knew us, tried to sit up but couldn't. Wagged her tail. Let us kiss her and tell her how beautiful she is. Still had her IV in, and had just been given a dose of morphine.

She was very dopey, but I could see in her eyes she was glad to see us. She dropped back off to sleepy land while we were there, and we felt no guilt at leaving her in such good hands.

Her wound looks very clean, I was afraid of what to expect. Half her upper left side of her body is shaved, but other than that, and her leg being gone, she looks fine! (I was worried there would be ghastly gouges where her shoulders should be)

They even had a nice fan blowing gently on her - which is so cool, because I do that for her at home. She says in our den during the day while I work, she's got her futon, her window seat, her doggie bed, and I open the window & turn the oscillating fan on for her in the summertime.

We will bring her home tomorrow. My sister in law left a ribbon wrapped doggie chew bone and 2 Get Well cards on our kitchen table here for Shadow! This dog is well-loved.

I whispered to her, "You're the best dog ever, and no one can ever amputate that!!" :morethanchocolate:

husband & I were both in tears when we left, but it's from relief and missing her, not from fear anymore.

Thanks for being here with me all day through this!! :warrior: You have to know what a comfort that was for me all day, knowing I had so many good people in my corner. I will update tomorrow.

F

flutterbee

I'm sorry I missed this earlier.

I'm glad to hear it went so well. We did a few amputations when I worked at a vet clinic and I was amazed every time how the dogs never seemed to miss that leg. We'd do the surgery and they'd go home 2 days later walking just fine. It was incredible.

I'm glad they caught this in time. I will keep Shadow in my thoughts.

P.S. Our first beloved dog growing up - a black and tan coon hound - was named Shadow. She was a very special girl, too.

klmno

I'm so glad to hear that things went well during surgery. I'm sure she will be just as glad to get back home tomorrow as you will to have her back. I'm sending all the hopes and well-wishes that I can for a speedy recovery. Thank goodness it was found before it got any worse!

Abbey

Spork Queen
YEAH SHADOW!!!
I'm so glad it turned out ok.

And, NO...I do not knit anymore, but I might do it for a cardigan for Shadow. Good dog.

Give him lots of auntie hugs.

Abbey

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Shadow is HOME! She is fit as a fiddle! She jumped into the car like nobody's business. husband sat in back with her for the ride home. :cool_dog:

She jumped outta the car like an old hand. She futzed around the yard a bit, went pee, and then had to take a break & laid down.

We praised her and complimented her and then she was ready to come inside. Our house is a split-level entry. 7 stairs to get in no matter what door you use.

She bounded up the steps as if she still had 4 legs!!!:beautifulthing:

She isn't quite herself yet, just kinda hangin' out & takin' it easy. What a champ! All is well.

SHEW!! :cheers:

Peace

TerryJ2

I'm so glad she made it through so well.
It never occurred to me she may have a ghastly gouge on her shoulder ... but they could have gone up pretty far, now that I think of it. I'm glad it was just as you expected.
The fur will grow back.
I took my tri-color collie in for teeth cleaning and a microchip implant yesterday and he's still whining from pain (he's very vocal anyay, and "Talks" to us), so I know you will have Shadow on painkillers for quite a while.
I'm glad they put a fan in the kennel!

klmno

That is amazing- I had no idea any dog could get over that so quickly. It sounds like the only thing she is recuperating from now is the anesthesia and pain killers. I'm so glad that she has done this well! I wish I could bounce back from minor things that quickly!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi Ponygirl, I have been out of town with no internet. So sorry about Shadow. Glad she did so well with surgery.
My sweet Honeysue was diagnosed with bone cancer too. It's heart breaking. I'm glad your pup is so upbeat and ready to get back to her home. Many hugs to you and her.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Oh Fran so sorry to see we have this in common! I will simply say, I support any decision you make! Amputation was clearly more traumatic for me than for my dog. I am very glad we took this route, wouldn't trade my Shadow for any four-legged creature anywhere!

Peace

Fran

Former desparate mom
Ponygirl, thanks for the support. Since Honeysue seemed to have lost the limp although the tumor is obviously present we did chemo and radiation. She seems happy enough to chase squirrels and is eating so we will keep trying to keep the quality of life going. We have made it to almost 5months much to the surprise of the vet and oncology staff. :crying:

I have heard that dogs are much more able to get around as a tripod than we can imagine. I'm so glad your Shadow is doing well. My Honeysue has done more for me than I could ever possibly do for her but I keep trying. I understand what you mean about how important she is.

Star*

call 911........call 911
WAY TO GO SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE A RUFF AND TOUGH LITTLE GAL!!!!!!

THANKS so much for answered prayers!​