My evil side reared yesterday

witzend

It's kind of tough getting them in heavy/sturdy first, crushables last order on the belt, though, since the heavies are in the bottom of the cart -- we need to invent a first-in, first-out grocery cart.

I always put my heavy stuff at the front of the cart, the other stuff towards the back, and the delicates in the seat. Sometimes I have to move a couple of things to get to the heavy stuff, but not usually if I am thinking ahead.

witzend

Abbey

I know what you mean about the workers wanting to bag it light. Because I have trouble walking and tire easily, I want it all in one bag if possible so I only have to make one trip into the house. I used to ask "Can you please double bag it in paper and put it all in one bag?" Huh? No, they can't do that. So, they'd double bag it all in 3 double bags. Then I'd get done paying and go to the end of the checkstand and rebag it all in one double bag. It really ticked them off, like I was being snotty or something. I'm not being snotty, I just know what's possible and what I want. They always got so snooty I gave up. I make husband do most of it now.

When I was a checker there were no code stickers on any of the produce. You had to know them all before you got into a checkstand, whether it was in season or not. There were 193. I did flash cards. It's been 15 years, but I still remember bananas and potatoes. We never wanted people to take the big bags of potatoes or gallons of milk out of the cart. There were codes for that and neither of you should have to lift two or three times.

When I was a checker there were no code stickers on any of the produce. You had to know them all before you got into a checkstand, whether it was in season or not. There were 193. I did flash cards. It's been 15 years, but I still remember bananas and potatoes. We never wanted people to take the big bags of potatoes or gallons of milk out of the cart. There were codes for that and neither of you should have to lift two or three times.
Oh yeah. I had to walk the produce section and complete a little quiz once a week.

Lothlorien

Look up codes are interesting.....never mind the 16 year olds....you are going to blow husband's mind when you wake start repeating the look up codes in your sleep. (been there done that).

I'm having PSTD now from when I was 16....can't find the price on velveeta and this nasty woman with bad black hair and a bad dye job wearing the reddest lipstick all over her teeth was shaking this big block of Velveeta at me. Who the heck eats that stuff anyway? My dad uses it for fish bait.

Marguerite

I used to work as a checkout chick and bagger after school and on weekends. We had to memorise the specials. The regular produce was price-tagged - we had to do that, too - but we had to pass a test on the specials each week or we wouldn't work that week.

I got training on the checkout, but not on bagging. We got told, that was it. I remember using a new nail hardener on my nails one week at school, then went off to my job. The checkout person slid cans of soup down to me (to pack at the bottom of the paper bags) and as I reach for the first can, it hit my nails. *smash*

Not good.

I hated that job and really appreciate the checkout people I meet.

In Australia we don't have packers any more. The checkout staff do the packing as they go. If you bring your own bags, they will hang your bag where they have a stack of plastic bags at the ready. Or you can pack your own. They changed the layout of our checkouts a few years ago, to make it even more difficult to say, "no bags". We used to be able to grab cardboard boxes from a huge bin they had, and we'd pack our stuff into boxes. But the new layout means no boxes are available.

So we got a large plastic crate which lives in the back of the car. We tell them at the checkout, "no bags," and pack it all back into the shopping trolley. Then at the car we load from the trolley right into the crate. Once home, we unpack the crate. I unload all the fridge stuff into the fridge in the garage (we call it "Clancy" because that's for the overflow - as in the famous Aussie poem, "Clancy of the Overflow") then what is left can be easily carried into the house. We unpack the crate and then take it back out to the car.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 is very fussy about packing bags at her checkout - she makes sure that anything squashable doesn't get put on the bottom and that the bags aren't too heavy.

I've got a favourite checkout lady in my regular supermarket who will walk around to my side of the counter and scan the goods right back into my trolley. If I'm on my own, she gets a second trolley and will unpack my trolley, scan the items and pack them again into the second trolley. She says she's happy to help out and that it doesn't take her any more time.

I think she deserves a commendation!

We don't have self-serve yet. I think Aussie unions are still fighting them.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
I organize as I stack also. If anyone shops with me it hurts me when they try and help put the stuff up on the counter/belt. One of those things I prefer to just do myself.

beth

That is very true. Every other lane is self check-out. If I see someone with a large order and I'm not busy, I'll ask them if they'd like help. Some say yes, and some say no because of the reason you stated. They have a special way they want it bagged.

Abbey

trinityroyal

Funny. husband and I were at the grocery store earlier today after reading this thread.
It was fresh in my mind as I watched the 16 yr old girl disorganize my organized pile of items. She even managed to push some of my items into the pile of the customer behind me..right over the little plastic divider. Sigh.

Normally we go to the No Frills or Costco, where it's strictly bag-your-own. I have several giant shopping bags (some insulated), so just like Marg, we load back into the shopping cart, fill up the shopping bags, and then haul those from the truck to the house.

I have never worked as a checkout person. I greatly admire those who do it well.

Trinity