My first night with the CPAP machine...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by KTMom91, Sep 24, 2010.

1. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

...and I slept the entire night! I also have medications to calm my restless legs, and my long has all this been going on without my knowing? I can fall asleep! I can stay asleep! I'm not getting up 47 times to go potty or punch Hubby for snoring!

The sleep study results said that I stopped breathing an average of 26.7 times per hour (anything over 5 is cause for concern), and that my legs kicked an average of 84 times an hour. Add all of that to my devout insomnia and my firm belief that 2 am is the best time of the day, and follow THAT up with a sub job in the wonder I was exhausted all the time!
  2. tawnya

tawnya New Member

Glad you are finally getting some rest!
  3. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

Sleep, blessed sleep!
  4. bby31288

bby31288 Active Member

Wow! Sounds wonderful. I have recently discovered I may have restless leg syndrom. Does this usually happen all of a sudden? It never was an issue before. But for the last 2 months or so, when I go to bed, my legs ache!! They are burning and achy and I have to constantly move them. Its like growing pains from when I was a kid!! Ugh. It is not pleasant.
  5. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

I hope this helps you, Mary. It's been good for husband AND me because he doesn't snore anymore and so I sleep better.
  6. KTMom91

The restless legs got much worse after I started taking statins, along with achy muscles and joints. My legs feel tingly, too, like someone is sticking a million pins into me. This medication is usually prescribed for Parkinson's, the dr says, but works really well for restless legs. I only take a half tablet.
  7. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

I'm glad the cpap is helping so much! We never could get difficult child to use his which is too bad; I really think it would help him a lot.
  8. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

If you get the sudden urge to gamble or shop compulsively, stop that medication. I'm not kidding.
  9. KTMom91

The dr told me about that, Heather. Fortunately, we don't have credit cards.

Because of the Ambien, Hubby still has the motion sensor up so I can't leave the bedroom at night without him waking up, in case I go sleep driving in search of donuts or something.
  10. bby31288

bby31288 Active Member

KTmom, I have to ask, what kind of motion sensor in your bedroom? I had to stop taking ambien. I was getting up at night and cooking and eating. It was crazy. The worse was when I actually took the car out to pick up easy child. She was staying at a friends and wanted to come home. Thank god I didn't kill anyone or myself. But I was stopped for following some lady who called the police, they whole nine yards. Thankfully they called my brother to come get me and I didn't get a ticket for driving under the influence! The police tried to call home, but DHs phone was off and charging. It was the most awful experience. But now without ambien, I just can't sleep. All night I am up with jumpy legs. Its awful.
  11. KTMom91

Hubby says it's called a portable motion sensor, and he got it at Harbor Freight. The sensor is about 3 inches high, and it sits on top of the dresser - no wires - and points across the bedroom door. The noisemaking part is right next to Hubby's side of the bed. It's so sensitive that I set it off when I turned off the ceiling fan one night, even though I didn't leave the room.

How scary for you! I was really worried about sleep driving...glad you were all right.
  12. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

I tried Ambien but while I didn't have the sleep issues with it; I woke up not remembering what had happened for several hours before I went to bed. It gave me the creeps. I took Lunesta for a while, but that quit working and it gave me a horrible taste in my mouth on waking.

I currently take an older sleeping medication called Temazepam (Restoril). It's a benzo and while it is habit forming, it doesn't have the side effects of the modern medications.
  13. bby31288

bby31288 Active Member

GoingNorth, I tried the Lunesta but it didn't work at all. I tried the Temazepam also. I guess it worked, but felt groggy in the morning almost drugged. Did you take the ambien as you laid in bed? I found that if I took it even 5 minutes before I was laying in the bed bad things could happen. If I did all my sleep stuff (brush my teeth, go to the bathroom) then climbed into bed and took the ambien, I stayed fine. The one incident sleepdriving was my easy child must have called just after I took the ambien, she said I sounded fine, and I got up, and the ambien kicked full into effect. I have take ambien on occurance since that epsoide, but now if I'm going to take it I inform all of the kids and husband. Take the ambien and shut the phone off completely to prevent any waking like that again. But I will say I'm exhausted, I want to take the ambien more often so I'm not dragging all day. My body can feel the exhaustion, I ache, my fingernails even hurt typing. I might look into the sensor. That might make me feel a little more comfortable!
  14. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

Ahhh Sleep! Love it!
    Trazadone is working for me for now. Knock wood!

I am so glad that you are "getting it" LOL
    I use to love ambien but it made me a little to weird ...
    Lunesta hated the taste also and it stopped working!

I am crossing my body parts that this works for you!
  15. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

Klonopin is the only thing that works for my restless legs.
  16. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

I use Ativan for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)/panic attacks and it also helps with the RLS. Klonopin knocks me on my behind, even in small doses.