My first night with the CPAP machine...

KTMom91

...and I slept the entire night! I also have medications to calm my restless legs, and my Ambien...how long has all this been going on without my knowing? I can fall asleep! I can stay asleep! I'm not getting up 47 times to go potty or punch Hubby for snoring!

The sleep study results said that I stopped breathing an average of 26.7 times per hour (anything over 5 is cause for concern), and that my legs kicked an average of 84 times an hour. Add all of that to my devout insomnia and my firm belief that 2 am is the best time of the day, and follow THAT up with a sub job in the morning...no wonder I was exhausted all the time!

bby31288

Wow! Sounds wonderful. I have recently discovered I may have restless leg syndrom. Does this usually happen all of a sudden? It never was an issue before. But for the last 2 months or so, when I go to bed, my legs ache!! They are burning and achy and I have to constantly move them. Its like growing pains from when I was a kid!! Ugh. It is not pleasant.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I hope this helps you, Mary. It's been good for husband AND me because he doesn't snore anymore and so I sleep better.

KTMom91

The restless legs got much worse after I started taking statins, along with achy muscles and joints. My legs feel tingly, too, like someone is sticking a million pins into me. This medication is usually prescribed for Parkinson's, the dr says, but works really well for restless legs. I only take a half tablet.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mary,
I'm glad the cpap is helping so much! We never could get difficult child to use his which is too bad; I really think it would help him a lot.

KTMom91

The dr told me about that, Heather. Fortunately, we don't have credit cards.

Because of the Ambien, Hubby still has the motion sensor up so I can't leave the bedroom at night without him waking up, in case I go sleep driving in search of donuts or something.

bby31288

KTmom, I have to ask, what kind of motion sensor in your bedroom? I had to stop taking ambien. I was getting up at night and cooking and eating. It was crazy. The worse was when I actually took the car out to pick up easy child. She was staying at a friends and wanted to come home. Thank god I didn't kill anyone or myself. But I was stopped for following some lady who called the police, they whole nine yards. Thankfully they called my brother to come get me and I didn't get a ticket for driving under the influence! The police tried to call home, but DHs phone was off and charging. It was the most awful experience. But now without ambien, I just can't sleep. All night I am up with jumpy legs. Its awful.

KTMom91

Hubby says it's called a portable motion sensor, and he got it at Harbor Freight. The sensor is about 3 inches high, and it sits on top of the dresser - no wires - and points across the bedroom door. The noisemaking part is right next to Hubby's side of the bed. It's so sensitive that I set it off when I turned off the ceiling fan one night, even though I didn't leave the room.

How scary for you! I was really worried about sleep driving...glad you were all right.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I tried Ambien but while I didn't have the sleep issues with it; I woke up not remembering what had happened for several hours before I went to bed. It gave me the creeps. I took Lunesta for a while, but that quit working and it gave me a horrible taste in my mouth on waking.

I currently take an older sleeping medication called Temazepam (Restoril). It's a benzo and while it is habit forming, it doesn't have the side effects of the modern medications.

bby31288

GoingNorth, I tried the Lunesta but it didn't work at all. I tried the Temazepam also. I guess it worked, but felt groggy in the morning almost drugged. Did you take the ambien as you laid in bed? I found that if I took it even 5 minutes before I was laying in the bed bad things could happen. If I did all my sleep stuff (brush my teeth, go to the bathroom) then climbed into bed and took the ambien, I stayed fine. The one incident sleepdriving was my easy child must have called just after I took the ambien, she said I sounded fine, and I got up, and the ambien kicked full into effect. I have take ambien on occurance since that epsoide, but now if I'm going to take it I inform all of the kids and husband. Take the ambien and shut the phone off completely to prevent any waking like that again. But I will say I'm exhausted, I want to take the ambien more often so I'm not dragging all day. My body can feel the exhaustion, I ache, my fingernails even hurt typing. I might look into the sensor. That might make me feel a little more comfortable!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Ahhh Sleep! Love it!
Trazadone is working for me for now. Knock wood!

I am so glad that you are "getting it" LOL
I use to love ambien but it made me a little to weird ...
Lunesta hated the taste also and it stopped working!

I am crossing my body parts that this works for you!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I use Ativan for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)/panic attacks and it also helps with the RLS. Klonopin knocks me on my behind, even in small doses.