My health -- positive and negative

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, I just thought I would let you know, my board family, that I will be away for a little while. Five years ago my left carotid artery was blocked and operated on, and today it is the turn of the right side. I am being operated on on Sunday. I will be officially hospitalized tomorrow (Thursday) and pre-op stuff will be done, and then I come home until Saturday night when I will go back and will stay in hospital about a week.

That is the not nice side of things.

And now for the great surprise -- I haven't smoked for almost a whole week, and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not taking anything to help me. It was a completely cerebral decision. I didn't WANT to stop. But I know that I HAVE to stop. Otherwise there is no point in doing this operation.

This is after 43 years of smoking. One of my children (the one who lives at home, not difficult child, but one year older than difficult child) has stopped smoking also. I told him that he would not be able to smoke in the house any more, and he decided that he would stop too. We have a good time talking about how we are going to spend all that money now!! We intend to have some good times together.

So, as long as everying goes OK, I'll be back on the board in about 10 days. And if you don't hear from me ever again -- well, you can use your imaginations!!

Love, Esther

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Esther, I have every confidence that you have great docs who will have you up and running in 10 days...okay, maybe not running, but at least sitting upright posting to us.

Can someone in your family check in with us to let us know how you are doing in the meantime?

As for stopping smoking, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Hugs,
Suz

Estherfromjerusalem

Thank you, Suz,

I still can't believe it, that I am completely without cigarettes. Thank you for your encouragement.

I must admit, I feel as if the spice has gone out of my life, without cigarettes. I shall have to find some different spice, I suppose. How boring.

Yes, I hope to be back at the computer very fast. I promise you that the first time I get on this computer it will be to post to you all.

No one in my family knows how to get on to this board, and I don't really want them to, so it's a bit of a dilemma. I will think about it.

Love, Esther

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Esther, we shall miss you, but know how important it is to get this surgery done. It is amazing we live in such times and have such medical care. I am glad you have decided to quit smoking and hope your body can recover quickly from surgery....we shall await your return. Saying prayers for your speedy return....

Lothlorien

Wishing for a speedy recovery. Great news about the smoking. You go girl! I hope you are able to keep that up after the surgery. We will be waiting to hear from you. I pray all goes well for you!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther, congratulations on your week without cigarettes. I know you have struggled with this.
I miss cigarettes too but the days of smoking are long gone for me.

I will have good thoughts that your surgery is uneventful and successful.

ScentofCedar

Esther, congratulations on your decision to stop smoking. I wish you continued success with that.

I am glad you posted about your upcoming surgery, and hope that all goes well and you are back with us soon.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara

Wiped Out

Staff member
Esther-Congrats on the not smoking! :bravo: Will be saying a prayer the surgery goes well. :angel: husband's mom had this done on one side a few years back and needs it done again. She was going to ask the doctor if it could wait til after Christmas (we haven't heard yet if they agreed).

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Esther,

Prayers & good thoughts for a speedy recovery heading your way. :nurse: You take care of yourself! I always look forward to hearing from you. :flower:

LittleDudesMom

Esther,

I don't know if you will be able to read this before you go in for your preop, but I pray that all goes well and the docs hands are blessed.

Congrats on the quitting smoking!!!!!!!

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
Esther,

I am tremendously proud of you. My heart goes out to you at this time, but I have every confidence in the doctors that will be helping you get better once and for all.

Take care my friend -
Many Hugs
Love
Star

busywend

Sending positive vibes out for your surgery and recovery!

Congrats on the no smoking! Each day will be a challenge, but when you are ready - you're ready! Keep up the good work. Sunday will be a year for me!

:doctor: Take care and do what the doctor says!