My house is a worse mess now.

KTMom91

I ran out of Christmas cards. I KNOW I have at least six more boxes, because they were "buy 1, get 2 free" last year, and I did. Asked Hubby where they were. He didn't know, but promised to look. He looked. This morning. OMG. The junk that was stacked on the old computer desk (which should be out of here so we can move the rolltop into its place) is now all over the place. I'm watching him move stuff, and it's junk. Old newspapers, last year's wreath for the door, a box of VHS tapes...

He wasn't able to find the cards I KNOW I bought last year, but he did find some odds and ends of other boxes, so at least I can get the cards out, as long as I ignore the explosion of koi creeping closer to me, threatening to sweep me away...:surprise:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Our clutter takes on a life of its own, too.

I dread husband "cleaning up" because that means I won't find anything for at least five more years!

I really need to come up with a rule about items coming into the house with other people and enforce it. husband is worst about bringing stuff home and just setting it on the table or the counter and wandering off, as if he imagines little elves jumping up to DO something with the items. This weekend he and the boys picked the pomegranates off our trees and brought them in, put them in a large bowl on the dining room table and announced he was going to make juice. They're still sitting there in the bowl, and I imagine they'll rot there if I don't move them to the fridge soon. I highly doubt he'll ever get around to actually juicing them. :rolleyes:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have baskets... I shove stuff there that's not obviously garbage... And months later, suddenly it's like Christmas when husband and Jett go through their baskets! In the meantime, something they can't find? Go check your basket. And they never do...

...husband's data cable for his phone has been missing for MONTHS. Guess where it was.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step, instead of a basket.........I have a landing like that. It used to have a basket on it.......but that just made it worse, so I *thought* moving the basket would stop the stuff accumulating there. Most of it is stuff that belongs upstairs that is put there temporarily while i'm cleaning downstairs. Moving the basket didn't do a thing. lol

Clutter used to fill this house from top to bottom. Happy to say Travis' room and the familyroom are the only 2 rooms left that way. I still have cleaning to do, but for the most part the clutter is all gone. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL our baskets are the size of a sheet of paper, about 8" deep, on a small shelving unit I got ages ago...

KTMom91

I hate that "save it for later" mindset. If you haven't touched it in six months, get it out of here! We have less than 800 square feet in this house...you'd think that would have sunk in by now. We've been married almost 12 years.

I also hate that I have to wait for him to do A before I can do B. Drives me nuts.

trinityroyal

This is why I have 5 or 6 staplers. They keep walking away from my desk, and eventually I cave in and buy a new one.

Because of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) (me AND the kidlets), I'm pretty Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) about clutter and cleaning. I literally can't think when there's too much stuff around, and the Monsters do way better when things are organized. The family has learned to recognize the warning signs of the Mommy whirlwind where, if it's not put away (or at least out of my sight) it goes in the donation bag / recycling / garbage (whichever is relevant).

That said, the crew has a very bad case of "flat surface disease" (as in, if there's an empty flat surface it must be a de facto shelf, and I can put things down on it). This is usually what brings about the Mommy Whirlwind.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Everyone ducks when the Mommy Whirlwind activates. In fact, I've seen the kids and husband go into their respective bedrooms while I'm in the kitchen and living room cleaning.

...I like having my room cleaned for me...

trinityroyal

Everyone ducks when the Mommy Whirlwind activates.

It seems I'm raising a junior whirlwind girl. When Tyrantina sees me get going, a big smile comes over her face, and she says "Mummy? We cleaning?" And she...um...helps. Most of the time, I have to redo her helping, but I don't want to destroy her enthusiasm for house chores when she's just getting started.

Not surprisingly, the boys all run and hide.