My LAST "Back To School Night"

DDD

Phew/Whew! In September l964 my then husband and I proudly took our easy child#1
to the first "Back to School Night". What a thrilling evening it was. I still
smile thinking back at how proud my little girl was when the Principal used
an "icebreaker" game where the students stood up and then had to sit down as their Mom's birth year was announced. The goal was to find out
"Who has the youngest Mommy?"

Yep.....I got the prize. easy child#1 was bursting at the seams when they brough me a bouquet of flower. I, on the other hand, was thinking "why or why was I
dumb enough to quit college"........LOL.

Last night difficult child and I went to Senior Year "Back to School Night". Thank you, Lord, I will never have another one. With my easy child kids it was kinda fun
to hear the laughter, squeals, chit chat. With difficult child it is just so obvious that he is not a typical teen. On the way home he said "Only one more year and I won't have to be around those people again." How Sad! DDD

KateM

DDD, my difficult child has Aspergers, too and it certainly put a damper on the Senior rights of passage --it emphasized the differences between him and the typical teen.

Congratulations on your last( of the many "lasts" you'll experience this year!)Wow, it's been a long haul for you!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Congratulations! There surely must be a medal for you somewhere for your dedication and persistence! I hope difficult child's next phase in life is filled with things he enjoys.

Nancy

I'm right there with you DDD. This is difficult child's senior year also and I am so relieved that everything this year will be the last time we do it. I too was so excited about easy child's school events and activities. But with difficult child I am just hoping that we make it through this last year. Notice I said "we" because I feel that this has been a group effort to get her through school.

I told difficult child several times already that she is on track for ruining her senior year. It started off with her getting alcohol poisoning at the "get to know your guard" party in our basement and almost got kicked off the flag team. It continues everyday with her bringing cigarettes onto school property. I just hold my breath everyday waiting for the next shoe to drop.

I hope this year goes as smoothly as it can for you.

Nancy

DazedandConfused

he said "Only one more year and I won't have to be around those people again." How Sad! DDD

This is Daughter's senior year, also. Her sentiments are exactly the same. She can even graduate early, but is still thinking about it. Main reason is to get away from those people.

Plus, she hates the town we live in. Actually, so does Son. He says when he can support himself (this means getting his big house with a pool), he's "out of this stinking town".

Sigh...

Sheila

Heaving a sigh of relief for you.

Sometimes I'm thinking, "I'll be so glad when he's out of school I won't know what to do." Then sometimes I think, "It can always get worse. Maybe school issues aren't so bad." lol

Congrats DDD!

We are in the same same situation as you. This is difficult child's senior year, and he is our youngest. I can say that I can't imagine doing this with a grandchild. You truly are a warrior (grand)mom and deserve special status!

I may be alone is saying that I don't look forward to the end of this year though. As we say at work, "When the yellow bus stops, the real work begins". Any postsecondary education that difficult child attends will not afford him the same rights that K-12 has offered. And, worst of all, the disability office will only work with the over-18 student, not the parents..... I'm really not looking forward to that!