My mom passed away

SaraT

So sorry for your loss.

My dad had to attend his mother's funeral on his birthday. It was a matter of only time it could be done as people had to come from other states. We had a cake for him at the wake and it seemed to help him. I hope your family does the same.

hugs

janebrain

I'm so sorry, KJS and sorry that the funeral is on your birthday and that no one remembered it was your birthday! Please do fill us in when you can. I am thinking of you!
Jane

busywend

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your mom. I am sure your heart is breaking.

I buried my son 2 days after my birthday.

I did not have a birthday that year. But, today I recognize the date earlier and get a smile knowing he is in my thoughts with the upcoming dates.
I hope for you to someday appreciate that you will celebrate your birthday and mourn the loss of the person that gave you life at the same time. It is OK to smile and cry at the same time. You may thank them someday for picking the date.

HUGE HUGS!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So very sorry for your loss... I haven't been faced with that, but I know what a huge hole that would leave in my heart...

{{{{{Many Hugs}}}}}

K

Kjs

I have one brother and one sister who live in Green Bay. My sister handled most everything. All other siblings are scattered throughout the US.

Waiting for all to have the opportunity to arrive in Green Bay, funeral has been set for next week. Seems so drawn out.

It wasn't suppose to happen this way. I expected to get a call someday that something happened, drive home and have the chance to say good-bye. That didn't happen.

She did suffer a major stroke several years ago. Along with diabetes and the stroke, she was unable to walk or talk for about 5 years now. She was in a nursing home. Thursday, she just didn't wake up. Her breathing was labored in early am, pulse was weak and she just slept away peacefully.

My sister took care of all the calls, the funeral and such. I believe I will be heading down a little early to help cook, and prepare her home for arrival of the 6 kids, spouses, grand children and great-grandchildren.

Wednesday the family members are to meet at the funeral home for our personal, private good-byes. Thursday is the visitation and service. Friday is the burial.

I am the baby. A later in life child. Most of my siblings are much older. My mother was 85. Even though it was peaceful, and I know she is with my father, it still is hard to realize that she is gone.

AND...they (brother and sister) decided the six kids will be the pall bearers. I honestly don't know I can do that. I really don't know.

I need strength.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's a thought about being a pall bearer.

Who would you rather have carry your Mother to her final resting place? You or someone she didn't know?
When my grandma passed - I was pregnant with Dude and insisted on being a pall bearer - I couldn't imagine that none of my MALE cousins "couldn't handle it" and thus I said - Well WHATVER - but put me in the middle. The funeral home had a fit due to the pregnancy and I said -If you put 4 STRONG men on the corners - and me in the middle - I don't think I'll be lifting much - but can do it that way - and THEN all the cousins found out 5 strangers and ME were going to be pall bearers and finally some of the older men in my family spoke up - so in the end it was me and 5 "men" (opinion still out on that with me)

The other thought - on you being a pall bearer?

My sister - could not manage funerals of any kind. Our Father's was the first she managed to go to and even then it was a memorial service as he was cremated.

I would not have made PLANS for her to be anything she was not comfortable with - so my suggestion if the above mentioned is still not doeable with you - Call your sister and tell her that while you are proud of her for making the arrangements and stepping up like she did, unfortunately you are not able to do what she has planned in having you as a pall bearer. Don't apologize - it's not like you were asked, and you don't owe anyone an explaination - just tell her - you are not able to do what she has planned.

Steely

So many, many hugs.
As you know my sister just passed away. It is the most horrible process I have ever had to endure. So many, many components to grieving I never realized. I am here if you want to chat, just PM me.

Keep posting. This board has been over the top supportive to me as they will you during this horrible time.

Kjs,

I'm sending many gentle hugs to your and your family in this time of loss. I'll be thinking of you in the coming week and wishing that you have a peaceful time with siblings during this period of homegoing for your mother.

Ephchap

Kjs,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is so hard. My dad passed away in his sleep also, although he hadn't been sick at all. His sudden passing was really tough on us, but knowing he hadn't suffered gave us comfort.

You don't get to say your final goodbye as you had planned, but you will find that you can still say your goodbye, just in a different way.

Sending my condolences and hugs,
Deb