My new hobby

A

AmericanGirl

I've decided my new hobby needs to be snake charming. Nevermind I am terrified of snakes. It would be easier than dealing with difficult child.

Tonight's fun included driving him back to the dorm at his insistence during tornado warnings.

He has an horrid respiratory infection. He refuses to take anything for it.
Yet, he wanted me to buy him cigarettes on the way back. I refused.
Was going by McDonalds because he hasn't eaten since 10am. (Nothing here, of course, will do)
He was furious I wouldn't buy cigarettes. Said he couldn't eat unless he could smoke.
He had said earlier he wasn't out - just running low but...hey, you wanna go hungry, not my problem.

So, I drove through the winds and rain and deposited him on campus.

I need to go practice my flute playing and learn to tie a turban on my head....if I am gonna be a snake charmer, I want to do well.

susiestar

Roll With It
Flute is hard to play, you have to do more than just blow over it. Or I think it is, from some vague memory of an hour playng with instruments as they tried to talk us nto joining the band in 6th grade.

Snakes are really cool animals though. they actually can be quite affectionate. I wore one to classes for a good part of seventh grade. The biology teacher was a family friend and her snake, Baby, was the sweetest thing. The one big, gruff teacher wouldn't even come near me or raise his voice when I wore her to class. Being me, I just LOVED watching him get all sweaty and nervous if he thought he saw her. Esp because he was a big bully the rest of the time. I was me even back then. my poor parents.

Anyway, you really did go above and beyond. I hope you are home safe and sound now!

Calamity Jane

AG,
Is your son generally this unpredictable, or do you think it's solely a combination of detoxing and respiratory infection? You must be a super saint. I saw the tornado devastation on the Today show, and it's massive and tragic. I can't fathom being in a car. Isn't it just so difficult child'ish to be more worried about cigs than a tornado? Did he at least call you later to see if you made it home OK?

Kathy813

Staff member
AG, I think that you need to stop being at his beck and call . . . especially when he treats you badly when you do nice things for him.

I would tell him that you need to get a good night's sleep and that you are turning your phone off at XXX time each night. I think there is more going on here than detoxing.

When does he go to rehab?

~Kathy

Nancy

I'm sure you thought of this but do you think he was so insistent about going back to the dorm so he could drink or use other substance to calm him down?

The most important thing now is to get him to rehab. You may have to buy him cigarettes if that will do it

Nancy

exhausted

They are just selfish. At this age in general and double it with a difficult child. I would not for any reason cart him around after how he has treated you. I know it is tough because they just ding us and sometimes they are so sweet. We all live for those moments. And then when they are sweet we wonder if they are manipulating us! It's the hill I am going to die on-not carting difficult child around-it's the only power I have with difficult child, so I just stick to it. Keep hoping it will motivate her to get in gear and earn her driver's license.

Good on you for not buying anything you do not want to buy. If he drinks again-Monday is going to be hell at the rehab! He will not feel good. I hope the cold keeps him in bed for awhile. This would be good.

Hang in there AG.
P.S. I play the flute but no success charming the snake!

A

AmericanGirl

Kathy, I agree with you...there is more than detox.
Nancy, i agree...he had a reason to go back. My guess is if he bummed cigarettes then it is harder to bum beer. He told the insurance caseworker yesterday he had been drinking about 16 beers everyday for the last 8 months.

Last night, I realized I hadn't taken care of myself since Monday. Being with him, no matter his mood, throws everything in a tailspin. Rehab or no rehab this week, it has to stop.

I am going to rest today. Dinner and a long planned concert with a friend tonight.

Church, clean my house and get caught up on work tomorrow.

difficult child isn't working or going to school (despite enrolling for 12 hours). Either he takes the help or not. If not, his life will get worse. While that isn't what I want, I cannot stop that.

S

Signorina

Liked your post - not because I like the situation - but because I like your attitude. :you_go_girl: