My new job is cool

M

Mamaof5

Easier than I thought to transition back into the work force. My new job is easier than I thought it would be too. I'm rather enjoying it to tell the truth. Second day to day (leave in about 5 minutes) and the girl I'm working with is AWESOME. She made me laugh quite a few times...she has a similar personality as I do. I like working with her already (she's training me for the next two weeks).

Love it! So tired and sore at the end of the shift but love it. It's a good tired and sore.

:p

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good news is ALWAYS welcome!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Made me smile when I saw the title AND your name!

DDD

I'm thrilled that your New Year is starting off with such a happy bang! Hoping it just gets better and better. Hugs. DDD

Steely

:) So happy! Sounds like you work retail possibly? I spent 20 years in that field and truly enjoyed it.

M

Mamaof5

Steely: Yes, I do work retail! Esso (aka Imperial Oil) Canada. Did you know the minimum wage in Canada is now 10.25 an hour!!

We have progressive minimum wages here. It's a good thing too, it's going up soon to 10.50 this summer and I believe they are looking to put it up to 10.75 the summer after or the one after that. Beats 8.15 plus tips on a very casual part time job that I did have. My last paycheck from the last job was 11 dollars. PFFFTTT lol.

M

Mamaof5

All around. It's a self serve but we have a country style and bistro kitchen on location too. Right now I'm on cash. My legs feel like someone kicked them and my feet are sore but heh, it's okay, it'll get better. We're one of two gas bars in town.

InsaneCdn

Steely -
In the US, Esso became Exxon.
Here, they still run gas stations under the Esso banner.
Mamaof5 is working in a retail gas station - sounds like its an "all positions" job, except the gas is self-serve so no gas-jockey...

I think the term "gas jockey" comes from Canadian winters... the gas jockey is always sprinting from "inside" to the pumps when a customer comes, but its way too cold to stay out there, so they sprint back... Or it could come from some other creative Canadian story!

Steely

Ohhhhh.....gotcha.....makes sense. I believe the only state in the US that is NOT self serve by law is Oregon. When I moved to the NW I had a really hard time staying seated in my car while someone else pumped my gas:). But it sounds like in Canada every gas station is different?

M

Mamaof5

There are very few full service (our way of saying gas jockey) stations left in Ontario. You'll see the occasional privately owned station (like a ma and pa one) in remote areas but our two stations (Canadian Tire and Esso) are both self service.

Man the amount of things you have to remember with the gas pumps...for instances it's against the law here to even have your motor running while pumping gas, you can't talk on a cell phone (again against the law) and under the age of 16 cannot pump gas. Smoking is a HUGE no no (against the law) which is obvious common sense.

So many laws and regulations on gas and the pumps. It's err...a lot of info to take in.

Mamaof5- Congratulations, I'm so happy your year is off to a great start. I live in NJ and we don't know how to pump gas here, I've never done it. Once we went to Maine and husband and I were outside our car reading the directions on how to do it. The people behind us waiting were looking at us like were nuts.

M

Mamaof5

The first time I ever pumped gas was in College. Man was I nervous the first time. Did you know your cashier at a gas station to stop a specific pump with a stroke of a key or stop all of them with a stroke of a key as well (think keyboard). It also has to be authorized by the cashier before your pump will start up. The pump will "call" the cashier through the computer system. It rather cool.

Also, I can watch a customer pump gas from my screen (amount) as well and know exactly what they pumped money wise before they even walk into the store to pay!!

It's actually more fascinating than I first thought and a lot more than just take money from customer and send them on their way. There's a whole rhythm to it. If one part of it is missing it doesn't happen!!

InsaneCdn

Mamaof5- Congratulations, I'm so happy your year is off to a great start. I live in NJ and we don't know how to pump gas here, I've never done it. Once we went to Maine and husband and I were outside our car reading the directions on how to do it. The people behind us waiting were looking at us like were nuts.

UAN - try that in Canada (figuring it out with a lineup behind you) and you'd get something totally different... as in, a crowd around you either wanting to show you how to do it or offering to do it for you... "Stand there? what a waste of time! Lets get this person done and out of the way so we can all get going..."

M

Mamaof5

Especially where I live IC!! We all like to help each other out. If one sees someone struggling usually the helping hand is offered. For instances, back in the summer a lady was struggling with her gas cap key lock (she lived in an area of town that was a little rough, someone kept siphoning her gas on her). For the life of the poor woman she just could not get that key to turn (it was stuck) and we offered help, even stood with her for 30 minutes trying to help her. Finally she had to call the boyfriend (found out later it was defective).

My neighbor snow blows my drive way for me, another neighbor brings treats for the dogs, I bake bread for all the neighbors, I feed my war veteran neighbor "Red" across the street every major holiday (Christmas dinner, T-giving, Easter, Halloween... I find excuses to send treats over to him). I feed my neighbor next to us, he babysits when we need it for free (if we're just running out for a quick pick up of stuff). Kids call him uncle. My best girlfriend JJ is my autistic kids best friend (she should be a Special Education teacher, she is awesome with spec kids).

It's amazing how friendly the people are here and helpful but then there are the wild ones too (gotta have a balance right).

InsaneCdn

Famous story from the Calgary Olympics ('88)... some European tourist actually complained to the media about this, and offered to (and did) demonstrate. The complaint went something like this: "I can't even open my map without a crowd of people around me asking where I want to go and giving me directions. If I even have the map in my hand, people stop to ask if I need help."

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - in NJ, you're not allowed to pump your own gas (at least not a few years back anyway). Last time I was there I was rather confused!