My poor difficult child just needs a break.

Tymica

As you may remember, I began posting here because my 16 y.o. son started abusing /selling drugs after he became addicted to prescription painkillers due to a knee surgery last September. Well yesterday he was running around the yard with some of the neighbor kids, and his leg buckled and he heard his knee "pop". He has since not been able to extend it, although he can put weight on it. I called his ortho.doctor and ortho is very worried. MRI is getting precertified and will be done in the next few days. He just cant go through this again. Especially if he has to have a surgery, and stay away from pain medications. I am nervous and so scared for him. We are hoping that best case scenario he strained something and will be ok with rest and ice but my brain keeps going to worst case scenario when things at home were just looking up. Please cross your fingers and say a prayer for my son. Hes really trying to get it together and we just cant take another bump in the road right now.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Childofmine

one day at a time
Hey thank you, I am sorry that you are dealing with this.

It's always something. That is life, thank you. It is life for everybody. I know difficult child is in transition and you would hope for life to stay at bay for a while until he can regain some equilibrium.

But that is just not how life works. For him. For you. For me. Life just keeps on coming.

I hope the dr. will not give him pain medications. Addicts have to tell their doctors that they are addicts upfront and then they do what they can with other medications/treatments to manage the pain.

It can be done with him as well thank you.

We can always fall down flat on our faces, and we do, but the question is: will we get up again and warrior on? That is what he will have to do. That is what we all have to do.

Hugs and blessings and prayers for you all. Hang in there.

dstc_99

OMG what a pain! I really hope they can find something to help him. I know there are several pain medications that have been touted as being non abusive. Then again half of them have wound up being abused at one point or another. Maybe there is something new out there that will be better than the normal drugs.

On the other hand lets hope he doesn't have a thing wrong and is faking it. LOL

Kathy813

Staff member
Things never go smoothly in the life of a difficult child. I'm sorry to hear about this setback.

~Kathy

Tymica

Well he said it feels slightly better today, although still swollen. He did go finish his lifegaurd certification class so he can work at the pool this summer barring any major knee issues and said although it wasnt comfortable and was painful he was able to swim. So I am really just hoping beyond hope that he just irritated something and will not need any surgery. Havent heard from ortho yet about mri, but ins always takes thier sweet time on that stuff.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

dstc_99

I heard Tramadol is non-addicting...

I wish! LOL That was what the big draw was for it when it came out years ago. It was supposed to be the equivalent to Lortabl/Tylenol #3 without the addiction potential. 2 years later one of the pharmacists I worked for lost her license for stealing it. She was addicted. Now they do say it is less addicting so it would be a safer option.