My random thought for today

Mom2oddson

I was reading my book at lunch when I read the following line....

"It's the trials and tribulations people overcome and how they deal with the ones they can't that define a person."

That line caught my attention and made me think of the board.

I have met the strongest, most supportive and understanding people right here! Each and every one of you has been a life-line, a counselor, a rock, a shoulder, a cheerleader....

There have been many trials, tribulations, joys and tears on this board over the many years I've been here. And I know I'm a stonger person because you've shared your journey with me.

I know the troubles I've gone through have helped me grow and that I wouldn't be where (or who) I am without them. I've gone from being a insecure, shy introvert to being a very confident, not-so-shy introvert. I know that I will survive whatever comes my way. And that, given time, things will change. And I have learned to take comfort and joy in my Non-Norman Rockwell life.

So....have your troubles defined who you are?

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
You took my thoughts right out of my head. That is EXACTLY how I feel ...... and you're one of them. We have all been through so much and the sharing of the "journey" is what has taught me soooo much and made me realize I'm not alone and I'm not "crazy". This is such a unique place where only those who have/are living through it can feel "normal".

Out of curiosity, what book are you reading? It sounds like one I might read.

Malika

Interesting question!
Trauma and difficulty and hardship can make people stronger and deeper and (above all) more compassionate. And sometimes they can destroy people - and I think it isn't always within someone's control which camp he or she falls into.
Whatever the case, trouble can always make us more compassionate to others and their humanity and that is a valuable thing.
Oh - and me? I would prefer not to have had as much trouble as I have had in my life. I would have preferred to learn things the soft way rather than the hard way. But... one day when I am fully enlightened, I might even be as thankful for the sorrows and losses of my life as for the joys.

keista

My troubles, trials and tribulations, have certainly defined me much more that my gifts and talents. There are some issues I continue to try and overcome, and must manage them daily until I do. And yes, I think how I handle what I cannot overcome, truly defines me. I could give up on them and myself, or I can continue to struggle with them. I do forgive myself my failures, and am gentle with myself, but I still strive to overcome these challenges.

Mom2oddson

TeDo - it's a romance book by Janet Chapman. LOL. It was just a line between two characters, but it really hit me. I think that is why it stuck with me is because it was from an unexpected place.

Malika - I always tell husband that we wouldn't enjoy our good times together nearly as much if we hadn't gone through all the pain. Without the contrast of the good and the bad - you can't see the beauty of the whole.

Keista -
I do forgive myself my failures, and am gentle with myself,
That was one the hardest lessons for me to learn.... forgiving myself.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My maid of honor at my first wedding wished us "enough tears and pain to make [us] appreciate the good times".

Kinda wished she'd skimped on those, but... WTH. Love her anyway! (Him, not so much...)

SuZir

I have long time felt that my biggest mistakes are what define me. And I don't mean that in the way, that I would spend all my time thinking and regretting those mistakes (though, I do at times.) It is just so that I have always put so much effort to being someone I think I should be, that at times it feels, that I'm truest to myself when I'm royally screwing up. And many of my screw ups I'm not even honestly regretting that much. I kind of like myself with all these experiences I have. Even if not all of them are exactly nice.