My Sister Threw Me A MAJOR Curveball...Good Grief!

BusynMember

Haha. While I feel really bad for you, DDD, and think your sister is nutso, it's true that some people have gone crazy this election cycle. It's not just her. There has been a lot of BS shouted on talk radio and some people believe the junk (shrug). It doesn't bother me and I have FB friends who vote both ways. But for the entire election cycle, I have had to listen to my father blast one of the candidates, with lots of racial slurs thrown in. Every time he did it, I would warn him I would hang up if he didn't stop, that he has two black grandchildren, etc. The morning after the election I couldn't resist being mischievous. I called and he wasn't home so I left a message: "I just called to gloat because everyone I wanted to win, all over the country, won. JUST KIDDING! Love ya! Call me back :)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
DDD -

If you hadn't started a thread like this - I would have started it myself.

I have been STUNNED at some of the outrageous statements and nasty comments still being made about the election and the candidates. I have been wondering why I have some of these people as my FB friends in the first place. Obviously, I would not want to be a party to that sort of conversation face-to-face...so why am I reading it online?

Like you, I am hoping that friends and relatives soon return to their "right minds".

It is a shame to lose friends and create enemies over this.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I've friends who will take any old innocuous statement and post their stuff all over it. I made a comment this morning that I'd be deleting those posts. For instance, I posted on husband's wall that I was married to my best friend... And a cousin posted that she wished the law allowed her to be. I don't mind or care that she's gay. But it was supposed to be a sweet post for husband, nothing more. Another post was about the Pledge of Allegiance, and a non-Christian friend posted "NO" that she would not say "Under God". OK... It wasn't about that.

Nancy

My easy child has a friend from college that posts some very hateful things about the election and what horrible things are going to happen now. This friend posted the Tim Tebow tweet inferring that once a certain group of people got home from work the percentages would jump up, inferring that another group does not work. easy child commented on it saying she works very hard and so do all the other people she knos who support that candidate and it isn't right to put people into groups that way. Her friend got very nasty and told easy child she is very naive and won't have a job in four years. easy child tried to say that she was very willing to discuss and debate the issues but these scare tactics were not right and her friend told her that's why no one liked her and then defriended her.

I understand people being disappointed their candidate didn't win but how does anyone expect the two sides to work together with that kind of hate?

HMBgal

My daughter and her husband are a "mixed" marriage: one to the left (my daughter) and her husband is quite conservative. On election night, my daughter, who is 4 months pregnant with their first child, got a bad case of food poisoning and was really quite sick. Her husband told her that the baby was probably a Republican and was rebelling over the election results. Is what you say to a pregnant women who is retching and sick as a dog? She was not amused. I'm glad the election is over! My facebook stayed pretty civilized, but out here on the Left Coast, well, there are a lot of Lefties like me, so things don't seem to feel as heated.

TerryJ2

I am so sorry, DDD! And to think that you were calling to wish her a happy birthday.

It sounds like her candidate lost ... if so, I would remind her (if you two ever speak again) that the core philosophy of the Tea Party is individualism, and that singing happy birthday to her is the epitome of celebrating one individual's birth, which is what she believes in. So, she's a hypocrite.

Wait, that will cause another fight ... lol! :fishbashsmile:

I think she's mean and petty. :censored2:

I have friends who call and wish me happy birthday--in unison, with-clashing voices--and leave it on the machine. Ooohhh, it could shatter lightbulbs.

TerryJ2

Speaking of FB posts, I "friended" someone I met at an art fair but whom I had known for yrs, and immediately regretted it. She posted a stupid, nasty pre-designed political graphic and I was the only one who wrote her back. I asked what the point was, and she wrote,
"I don't know."

Huh???? Why the h do you post something like that and then not know the premise and the reason behind it? OMG, idjit.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - The Friends of Voltaire (1906).

Yesterday someone on FB asked my Italian teacher if she was insane because she congratulated the President for his victory.

Malika

Mind you, there's something about politics that divides like nothing else... I was chatting to a friend on FB (oh the dreaded FB) the day of the US election results and I said "Good news about Obama" (sorry!! No offence to anyone!!) and she said basically "It makes no difference who gets elected, all politicians think the same and do the same" and I disagreed with this and felt internally quite irritated by her remark, by the political apathy it implied... and we ended our conversation rather abruptly. And yet she is one of my closest friends... crazy, really.

buddy

Malika, I understand why some people feel that way. You work so hard and hope for change and it seems something awful happens every year no matter who is in office, but we can't quit trying. We would never know how much worse it could have been if it was "the other guy".... I guess there are just no easy answers to anything.

Step, you made my brain flashback to childhood. I remember when little just learning about politics etc. I remember one election day asking my parents who they voted for and they in a very nice way say you never ask that question. It is the right in our country for that to be private and if someone wants to share that is one thing but never ask. I have not thought of that in ages but I now realize how much that shaped how I approach politics now. Good for you for sticking up for our first female President Bean.

SuZir

We have even more fun over this. We don't have two party system (that you in reality do have even if there are smaller parties.) We really do have a selection. Almost never the biggest party gets over 25% of votes/parliament seats etc. Usually it is closer to 20%. So that of course leads all kinds of unholy alliances. And because there are so many parties, not only half of the people are wrong, majority of people always is (in my case, about 95% of my compatriots happen to be deadly wrong :rofl:)

Nowadays we are mostly so disillusioned and disinterested about politics that we are not unfrending everyone else because of wrong views, but it used to be much more serious. We have had years in past when our nation has been very, very divided and it was bad. But were united under outside enemy in WW2, but even my mothers political believes were tough nut for her parents. And my mother wouldn't approve mine. Oh and we did have elections some time ago and my mother in law managed to get worked up because difficult child wasn't voting 'our' party. Only problem was, that in his electoral district 'our' party didn't have any candidates, so it was a total impossibility to vote 'right' for him. That of course didn't stop mother in law getting worked up about difficult child's wrong choices...

And yeah, I did get few barbs at my workplace, because some of my co-workers happen to think I vote for wrong reasons and also my party is gutless and has no believes or principles other than trying to keep certain minority pampered, spoiled and over-indulged in expense of everyone else.

Last edited: