My son is in the hospital.

Copabanana

Chinese Crested
Feeling. First, you give me too much credit.

Forget the tunics. They cost too much. I went to the thrift store and bought XXL Tall man shirts that are tunic-length. Because of the air conditioning, I put a cotton sweater over them, with knit jeggings from Walmart and there we are!

Oh. I am doing my column dressing both days. Remember. The column of color can be on the inside or outside-either the shirt and jeggings match or the jeggings and sweater. Except I am so tired I could care less.

I am glad you're here Feeling. I think about you often.

Thank you.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Copa,

I guess I feel ok that at least he used the ticket to get to treatment and did take money for other harmful things. Sad that honesty does not come to them first.

I like the community living thing too..my son could have stayed where he is longer, but will never make enough either. We have hope for when he comes home, we will see.

I so wish I knew how to push the sober living dorms on campuses. It is something schools are beginning to offer. We have 15 yr old kids in treatment it is nice that when older if they choose they could live in a recovery comm on a campus. Gee, a living situation with no drugs and alcohol on a school campus!!! They have 12 step mtgs, yet live with other same minded young people. Drugs in college are being ignored....how many more of children will die before something is addressed?

Ok...guess I needed to voice that. Sorry Copa for being violated by your own child....for me the lies are so hard. Our T I can tell is working on the truth. He doesn't answer so quickly....you. an tell the difference....I hope it. continues.

Blessings to you. You deserve a life of joy, and pray your son finds his in his journey...hugs

Feeling Sad

Yes, I also wear jeggings, but I wanted the visual effect of the fabric of your flared pants blowing in the sea breeze... Jeggings don't blow!

Working at your chosen field of endeavor makes you an automatic warrior, with or without the outfit! Roar!

DarkwingPsyduck

Something came up today that hurt me. Last night I used 2 Amtrak vouchers that would soon be expiring to buy cross country train tickets for M and I for a trip we have been planning for years. And when I redeemed the vouchers there was money missing.

I called Amtrak to research the missing funds and the lady asked: Do you have somebody living with you with the same last name? And sure enough a ticket was bought on 7/29 and sent to my son's email. That was how he took the train to enter the facility (and got hijacked into the hospital.)

One other time I let him pay for a ticket to see the therapist using another small voucher, but this was a different voucher and no consent was given or asked for. Seventy fine dollars. I felt sliced through my heart. A shallow cut, but blood was shed.

M said my son called while I was at work wanting to send me money. I am wondering if he feels guilty about what he did. It really feels lousy. I am not eager to talk to him.
I agree.

It is complicated though. My preferred facility for him has a series of less restrictive living situations culminating in community apartments where he could live while working. He could have lived under their wing for years, while going to school etc.

We live in California where anyplace he would want to live he could never afford. He does not like where he can afford which includes the community where I live. When he finishes the program he is in he will be discharged and that is it.

The thing is-I think my son wants to live better--I do not mean financially, I mean a more structured, accountable and purposeful life. I am really wondering if he can live independently without some support. I know there is community mental health and subsidized housing.

I think the answers are not readily available and they will be decided by him in the course of his treatment, hopefully, which I think we will have some role in.

I guess this will work itself out.
Thank you Colleen.

My twin sister was finally rearrested, 6 months after having absconded from drug court. For most of that time, she steered clear of us. Hitting us up only for money here and there. Not once asking about her daughter. Which is fine by me. I adore the kid, and she is better off without her mother around, but it is still frustrating. Perplexing, even. There is absolutely NOTHING I wouldn't do for the baby, and I am not even the parent. How she can feel any less strongly than I do is beyond me. At any rate, for the last 2 weeks, or so, she has been around. Spending a majority of her time here. She is the most inconsiderate person on the planet. She is a slob of epic proportions. My aunt was happy with the situation, though. She felt that at least she would be safer here, with us. My uncle was guarded, and I kept to myself. She and I don't get along. The day before she was arrested, my aunt was talking to us about things that had gone missing over the last 2 years. None of which I had taken, though I HAVE stolen from them in the past. Sister of course denied all of it, and my aunt believed her over me. After she was arrested, my aunt was going through the :censored2: she dumped in the garage, and found much of those items. She was very hurt. She really laid into sister about it, angry and in tears. Next day, we get a post card from the jail confessing to stealing the very expensive camera, and telling us where she pawned it. My aunt felt that this was improvement of some sort, but I disagree. If she had sent it BEFORE my aunt found all of her stuff, I'd be a bit more generous about the post card. But she didn't. Which seems to suggest that she didn't send the post card out of remorse, or shame. Merely to preserve an incredibly beneficial (to her) relationship to my aunt.

This also resulted in a tearful apology from my aunt, which was beyond uncomfortable, and certainly wasn't deserved. As I explained to her, I HAVE stolen from her in the past. The fact that I didn't steal THESE items doesn't erase that. She has every right to be hurt and angry. Thinking about the :censored2: I have taken from her, I still get a bit choked up, I visually cringe when the thought goes through my head. I feel sick, and shame. These are things I couldn't possibly have felt while still using. Which is how I was able to do it again and again and again.

Not sure about your son wanting to send you some money. Was that offer made to you before he found out that you discovered the theft, or after? If it was only after, it was probably like it is with my sister. Not true remorse, but more of a gesture to keep you on board.

Last edited:

Albatross

Darkwing, that was a very sad thing to read. You once said on another thread that an addict in the throes of it is like a pseudo sociopath. That has helped me a lot, Darkwing. It helps me to take things less personally.

I want to say to you, please don't let those "sick and shame" feelings take root. We all have done things we regret. I know I sure have. All any of us can do is make amends, and clearly you have done that many times over. Just look at all of the people you have helped here. Look at how proud your aunt is of you, of how far you have come.

Maybe that is where your twin sister is. Maybe she is a prisoner of her sick shame, and it is taking her longer to find her way out. I am so glad that your niece has you, and your aunt, and your uncle to love her so much. Maybe it is for the best, if your sister keeps distance, at least for now.

Copa, I was sad to read about the train ticket. I am certainly not making excuses. He should have checked with you. In looking back, it sounds like things had come to a head and he was desperate. He was not in control (holes in walls, etc.). Perhaps it was a knee jerk thing.

The housing possibilities sound promising. He has many options. More importantly, it sounds like he is being offered ownership in his treatment plan, and he is taking it. I think these are all such very positive steps, Copa. He has come a long way.

DarkwingPsyduck

Darkwing, that was a very sad thing to read. You once said on another thread that an addict in the throes of it is like a pseudo sociopath. That has helped me a lot, Darkwing. It helps me to take things less personally.

I want to say to you, please don't let those "sick and shame" feelings take root. We all have done things we regret. I know I sure have. All any of us can do is make amends, and clearly you have done that many times over. Just look at all of the people you have helped here. Look at how proud your aunt is of you, of how far you have come.

Maybe that is where your twin sister is. Maybe she is a prisoner of her sick shame, and it is taking her longer to find her way out. I am so glad that your niece has you, and your aunt, and your uncle to love her so much. Maybe it is for the best, if your sister keeps distance, at least for now.

Copa, I was sad to read about the train ticket. I am certainly not making excuses. He should have checked with you. In looking back, it sounds like things had come to a head and he was desperate. He was not in control (holes in walls, etc.). Perhaps it was a knee jerk thing.

The housing possibilities sound promising. He has many options. More importantly, it sounds like he is being offered ownership in his treatment plan, and he is taking it. I think these are all such very positive steps, Copa. He has come a long way.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. The truth is that she doesn't actually do anything to or against me. Just my aunt and uncle. But I cannot help being very protective of my aunt. There's nothing I wouldn't do for her. I only wish that she had the respect she so clearly earned, the entire time.

I tend to forget how vastly different my sister and I were brought up. Most people would take a look of my biography, and be amazed at the cluster :censored2: that is my life, but Amanda had it even worse than me. I ran away from our mom, to my dad. Eventually winding up back in Reno. Amanda didn't have that opportunity. . After I left, my mom pretty much stopped trying to hold up appearances. She became a full blown junkie, and even started Amanda on the :censored2:. At the end, Mom was living out of a storage compartment thing. Amanda is the one who had to find her, head busted open. We were only 17 at the time. I can't imagine what effect that must have had on her. I think it just broke her. It would have broken me.

None of that is an excuse for the things she is doing and saying to my aunt and uncle now, but I get so frustrated with her...

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
Darkwing, echoing what Albratross said. We all have done things, said things or had things done to us (out of our control )that cause us to feel "shame". For me, sister and I were molested by grand-father, who we trusted. Grandparents adopted us out of orphanage our parents placed us in after losing our two baby brothers.

I dealt with my shame by forgiving grand-father for what he did- it set me free. YOU have to forgive yourself for anything you have done to others. YOU have made amends. YOU have made your aunt and uncle so proud and be proud of YOU for how far you have come. I treasure your wisdom and willingness to help so many here. YOU have a conscience and you have empathy for others.

How tragic for both you and your sister and all you both went through. But, the fact is, you have recognized and struggled through the pain and came out on the other side- whereas your sister, is still struggling. YOU have come into your own-and are healing. I pray your sister finds "her own" and that she can heal from her past. The past is a stealer of joy and hope if we allow it to be and only by making amends and/or forgiving ourselves and others can we be released from it and move on with our lives.

Last edited:

Childofmine

one day at a time
Darkwing, the only "apology" we ever want or need is to see our precious loved one doing better. Not even perfect, just better. You clearly are in a very different place, where honesty reigns. I believe that is all your aunt would ever want.

Watching your sister I'm sure brings up feelings about things you did and said. Most of us learn the long hard way that none of this is personal. It still feels personal, at first, but as we process the thefts and cursing and lies and all of it, we learn that it isn't personal. It's the addiction. It's the mental illness. It truly has nothing to do with us. We get that over time. We can let it all go, especially when our precious loved one---who we never, ever stop loving, even through it all---starts to walk a different, better path.

I can't tell you how grateful and thankful I am for my son's continued improvement. I hope and pray I never take it for granted. Sometimes, when I don't talk to him or hear from him for a few days, I feel that old knot of anxiety and fear in my stomach. My PTSD flares.

I just want him to be okay. That's all. A tall order, I know, but I still am learning that being okay doesn't mean living life my way or through my little dreams for him or the Cinderella way I still think. It has to be his way.

We talk about worry on this thread. I used to be Master Worrier. I use capital letters here because I was well known for it. I have learned that worrying is about wanting to control things. I had the best of intentions, of course, but in the end it was about control. In fact, when I was growing up, one time my own precious mother gave me an embroidered pillow with a brass stand. The pillow read: Worry is a fast getaway on a wooden horse.

That's how much I worried.

I don't really worry like that anymore. My work through Al-Anon has helped me let go. Sometimes, if I get too involved with other people, I can sense the seeds still inside me. I work hard to correct myself---my thinking and my behavior---even if I still have the feelings. Usually I can let go of the situation.

Living without that type of deep worry---about all people, places and things---has been a true gift. I can accept imperfection so much more easily now---in myself and in other people. I feel calm and peaceful very quickly after new problems occur...after I can identify what role I may have (usually none) and what I can do that would be helpful and healthy. I think now a lot about having healthy behavior.

My toughest nut to crack is still with my son...and with my aging parents next...and my alcoholic brother next. I use all of these lessons in those situations, and usually I can come around to better thinking and behavior, even if I get off track at first.

Letting go is the goal I believe. Just letting go. Sounds simple, but it really isn't as we all know.

Ironbutterfly

I understand the worry too. Even when things go well, there's this constant, underlying tension. It's like a subsonic hum...something just almost out of your range of hearing but just making you constantly on edge.

Poor Jabber. He puts up with so much. I came home yesterday and just fell apart for 15 minutes. Worried about my son getting his community service done...he's blown it off so many times he could have done it and he has to be done by the 15th, but he works most days and doesn't seem willing to put in more than a couple hours on his days off. If he isn't done, or if the church custodian won't say he is, then we'll have to kick him out. In fact, Jabber won't even be able to say where he is, so can't know. He'll have to do paperwork at work if there's a warrant. He's right on the edge of doing well...but realistically, the only things he's fully done right since we let him stay July 1 is work. Yesterday was the first time EVER he gave me the full 1/2 his check. He borrowed $3 from Jabber two weeks ago and hasn't paid it back. He doesn't understand why $3 is such a big deal...but it is. He said he'd pay it back and he didn't. It's trust and respect and responsibility all wrapped up in $3 and he keeps ignoring it or saying he doesn't have it. We still find dirty dishes in the sink, and I don't mind a couple now and then, but darnit we told him to clean up after himself!

Sorry...made this all about me, but my point is, it's one thing after another and though he isn't doing anything wrong he isn't doing it right enough to keep me from being constantly on the verge of screaming about something.

I don't know how to stop worrying. I have nagged and nagged about the community service for six weeks! For nothing. Jabber says, "It's on him." Even my son says, "It's on me!" but I still can't stop worrying. It's maddening. It was easier when he didn't live at home. When I didn't know where he was supposed to be from day to day. :(

I'm so sorry Lil for your worry. I have been there. Jabber is right, it's on him. When my son got out of jail (did 40days) I brought him home and we discussed a plan for him to get on right path. We decided on Salvation Army but the choice of which one was difficult. He begged us to send him back to the town he lived in because he had good support system there- whereas if I kept him in our state far away from the ones who tempted him with drugs and chaos. I allowed him to go back to his old city. He stayed exactly one day and left and proceeded to get reinvolved with those people. I thought it was right decision so he could get the positive support. But it wasn't. I felt guilt and responsibility that I had sent him back into the den of wolves. It was only after son moved down south he told me Mom don't feel bad- I would have left the other place too. Not your fault.

Sometimes no matter how we handle things or make decisions with or without our kids input, they will do what they want regardless. It is in the end on them and we have to let them "write their own book". The only way son turned his life around was because he wanted it more then I did. This too, I pray will come to your son.

Ironbutterfly

COM- what an inspiring post on worry. I too was a Master worrier and it stole my health from me in so many ways. It had to stop and it did. It is about control and I love the lessons you shared on how to master the worry monster. Worry steals joy and hope and a promise of a better tomorrow, a better life.

Ironbutterfly

Thank you darkwing.

You know. I think I may be less frantic because I am all wrung out. I feel like I have very little left to cope with.

I am grateful for this moment in my life. I have long wished my son to voluntarily go to treatment. And although we put his feet to the fire, he did after all have a choice. He arranged it. He went to the city. He persevered even when he was 5150'd along the way. And it seems as if he may have entered. At least I have not heard otherwise. He deserves credit. I deserve credit.

I love my son 100x more than I love myself. I know that is not what we strive for but it is the truth.

I have given myself permission to work two more weeks at this godforsaken job and then give notice. I am counting days. 7 more work days until I give notice and 8 days more of work. I need never again work in a prison. A big milestone for me. The better part of 20 years in prison. My plan (if I can do it) is to work until I think it is Sept 2.

Darkwing. I hope you are well. Thank you for your support.

Yay COPA, book that cruise or a vacation for you and M. Take some time now to enjoy life and pray that you find peace and happiness; don't let the worry STEAL your joy, your hope, your life away. Trust me when I say, it will all work out on it's own. It may not be how we wish or want it to be, but it will work out.

Copabanana

How are you
how is your son doing? And of course, how are you doing?
Thank you for thinking about me, all of you.

Let me catch you up. This is the longest vacation from CD I have taken since I found you. What happened was this: I have this mobile hotspot internet connection which ran out of bytes so my only way on was with a phone. I cannot maneuver typing on the phone.

Then this weirdness set in. I wanted to see if I could stand being away. I got this kind of superstitious feeling, like if I did not post--maybe I could keep things better. I mean, if I did not make it a catastrophe by memorializing it here--maybe it would not be a BIG HUGE PROBLEM. Did it work? I am not sure.
STEAL your joy, your hope, your life away.
Just after I stopped posting I decided to give notice at that crappy job AND I DID. Tomorrow is my last day.

So I am on the upswing. Just what it was that tipped the scale will be a long post, probably better on FOO or Watercooler--but I look forward to sharing. Right now, I just want to get through tomorrow.

M is fine, but tired, too. He has been driving me back and forth to work. Almost 4 hours a day on the road. So I am so glad to be able to take this pressure off of him. He has been very worried about his aged parents.

My son is still in the program. I think he thought that changing would be easier and for the past 10 days or so has been very morose and defeated, but still there. The (somewhat) good news is he is trying medication, something that for years and years he would not consent to do. He is taking it because the staff told him that the only way he could maximize the chances he could stay in treatment there--would be to show he was doing all he could--compliant with treatment.

It was a bit of a crisis last Sunday because he told me (when he told me about the medication, an anti-depressant) the medication had caused him to have a bit of a psychosis. I got frantic because one reason for this response with this medication is history of brain injury and compromised liver--and my son has both. I feared he did not tell the psychiatrist about his history.

Sometimes my son believes if he pretends something (does or does Not exist) it can be so. Not really, but he is the champion of denial.

I was so concerned about his despondency (and all of everything all rolled together) that I called the program on a Sunday and blurted out all of my hopes and fears (2 minutes worth) to somebody, I am not even sure who he was. And then I felt fearful about what I had done--that I had busted into my son's treatment--and I was worried about that! So I called Monday, asked to speak with somebody with some authority and said this:

I am just so worried about my son, but I am also concerned I am acting inappropriately. I need help in deciding about proper boundaries. My son is an adult. But he is my child.

So in the course of the call (there was no release so she could not even acknowledge my son was there) I decided, on my own, that there was no role for me in his treatment. That if he lied about his history, and suffered untoward consequences, the consequences were his because this is his life. He deserves his errors, to learn. And I really really liked her response: She said, "he is here to find his own voice. The only way he will find it is to choose his path himself. If it makes it any easier for you, many many parents find this very hard. They, like you, are very frightened."

I liked what she said. I was able to not call for 5 days, and then tonight I relapsed.
your son wanting to send you some money. Was that offer made to you before he found out that you discovered the theft, or after?
Hi Darkwing. You are so, so hard on yourself. I wish you could find heart for yourself. I know you feel if you lighten up you may slip up. I believe holding yourself accountable does not require you to be harsh and self-accusatory. You do not deserve it. You deserve respect. Especially from yourself.

Actually, he offered to send the money before I found out. (But still has not sent it. I understand. Where he is staying there is no bus access to Walmart or anywhere else for that matter.)

This is all so, so hard. I would have given anything for him to get into treatment. That he is open to psychiatric medications is like a miracle. But he is still morose and negative and feels every bit as much constrained by his symptoms. It is not enough time for the medication to take effect--I tell him that and I tell myself that--but I am so affected by his moods. I know change is hard and slow and he will not change into what he wants to be in a couple of weeks or months or even years. But knowing and KNOWING are completely different animals.

I want my son to be content and happy and fulfilled, with a life that gives him meaning and connection. Most of all I want him ALIVE and NOT ILL or GOD FORBID dying.

I told him tonight: I do not believe I could survive your dying. I need you to take care of your health.

I do not know why I am not getting better. M said: He is changing. He is making good choices. He is trying. Look at the positive things that are happening instead of the bad things.

People. Why can't I?

I am glad to be back. I hope you are well. I have not been reading any threads but once work is over I will try to catch up.

Thank you.

Last edited:

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Bravo...praises for your son!

It seems you are afraid of the future..we all are. It changes nothing. M is right...all is the best you could hope for! He is making decisions!!!

You need time for you, you made a very important decision for you too..leaving a job. All this change is moving a positive direction!

Breathe...I see much to celebrate...and relax, he is safe! You are stronger than you feel!

Hugs

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Copa
Glad you gave notice at the job and hope you found some relief.
Sounds like you have to be grateful for today and that your son is in treatment and making some progress.
Stay positive and take care of yourself and M. As the lady at the center said, it is not your worry to make your son well. He has to do it. That is hard for mothers to do I know. But you know deep down that is the truth.
Hugs.

Albatross

Copa, it is nice to "see" you. I hope you had an enjoyable last day at your job, and I too think you will be much happier without it. I am betting waking up tomorrow morning is going to be a delicious experience for you! I think a long, lavish, relaxing breakfast/brunch is called for!

So in the course of the call (there was no release so she could not even acknowledge my son was there) I decided, on my own, that there was no role for me in his treatment. That if he lied about his history, and suffered untoward consequences, the consequences were his because this is his life. He deserves his errors, to learn. And I really really liked her response: She said, "he is here to find his own voice. The only way he will find it is to choose his path himself. If it makes it an easier for you, many many parents find this very hard. They, like you, are very frightened."
I love that you were able to explain your feelings and she was able to tell you not only that she understands, but that you are not alone. Yes, he must find his own road, his own path. It might not be at all what you would have pictured for him. It will be a wonderful surprise for both of you.

It takes time to find the right treatment regimen, but he is open to treatment options and he is in a safe place to map out a plan. It is all so promising, Copa. I am very happy for him, and for you.

I want my son to be content and happy and fulfilled, with a life that gives him meaning and connection. Most of all I want him ALIVE and NOT ILL or GOD FORBID dying.
But Copa, these are the things he is working for! He is in the right spot, at the right time, with the right level of open-mindedness to his options. I think he is a very brave person. He is blazing new ground.

Copabanana

you made a very important decision for you too..leaving a job
Glad you gave notice at the job and hope you found some relief.
I am so glad to have left but it is bittersweet still. I got so attached to the patients who did so well--to a man. They made such gains. I am so pleased and proud.
It seems you are afraid of the future..we all are. It changes nothing
Yes. But..but..but he has a fatal disease. If he did not tell them, the medications he is taking are compromising his liver. The psychiatrist needs to know. This is what makes me spin my wheels in desperation. I want him to get healthy enough quickly so he does not die. It is so hard for me. I understand that I need to be grateful and proud....I get so scared.
I think he is a very brave person. He is blazing new ground.
Yes he is. And of course it makes sense that he would speak to me and be profoundly negative. But he is doing it. I was amazed he decided to take the medication. It is clear that he wants to change. Who among us is not discouraged at how hard it is to change, and how slowly it comes.

Thank you everybody. I am thrilled to be back.

COPA