My son, the reason for sleeping with one eye open!

HellHelix

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this. I do understand how you feel though- my 8yo son has ODD and Conduct Disorder. I know how it feels to be scared of your child and what they might do to their sibling. I know all the guilt that goes along with that too.

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions for treatment or assistance (I'm in Australia where all Residential Treatment Center (Residential Treatment Center (RTC)) and healthcare is free, thankfully ). I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Big love xxx

Thank you very much! I appreciate it

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Religion-related delusions are very common in Schizophrenia, and intense religious indoctrination can increase the likelihood of those types of delusions.

BusynMember

GN, honestly, delusions are not necessarily based on our lives.

You've been here a long time so it is possible that you remember I spent ten weeks in a very awesome psychiatric university hospital. The very sickest were sent there, which is why I chose it...figured that if they could get schizophrenics stable, they could handle a severe suicidal dephressedb23 year old who was begging for help.

I saw it all. The worst.

One interesting patient was an Orthodox Jew and I sometimes spoke to her tired husband. Many of her hallucinations involved Jesus, even though she, in her right mind, did not think he was God, as Jews don't. But. When she was sick, she did think he was and also that the Devil tormented her, puzzling since Jews do not acknowledge a devil either.

Her husband was near collapse trying to help her and was very befuddled that her hallucinations were Christian based. She had always lived in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood.

I thought it was interesting too. Hallucinations don't make tons of sense, I guess.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes, I've noticed and found it interesting: that the bulk of the religious delusions suffered by Western schizophrenics revolve around Christianity, even if the patient isn't Christian.

The "TV/Radio/Police are watching/listening to me" delusions have evolved into it being the "smartphone/computer/game system" doing the same thing. Either watching or giving orders via command hallucinations.

We still know so little about schizophrenia, beyond the "kindling" effect of each bout of psyschosis making the next one more likely and more severe. (same goes for bipolar mania).

We've also found that sz is a degenerative disease causing cumulative organic brain damage over the years that can be seen on a fMRI.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, what's scary for me is that they've evidence of increasing organic brain disease in bipolar folks as well. The do not know yet if its due to the disorder itself, self-medicating, or the sorts of medication chronically use to tx bipolar.

There's also a risk of early Alzheimers in sx and BiPolar (BP) folks, though again, that may be the medications, some of which are prone to srew up brain receptors of neurotransmitters permanently.,

But, I'm taking the chance on being forgetful and spacey, as opposed to having normal cognition and being impossible to function in socicety.

I think I'm OK on the Alheizmer's issuel. With my family, we either die between50 and 60, or we live to over 95, with few making it into their 100s. Some degree of senility seems to kick in around 5-6 years before death and worsens rapidly. The younger folks who die usually die of colorectal or ovarian cancer. Symtptons are so minor, more like IBS, which most of us have. It's hard to recognize a change in bowl habits that last more than 2 weeks, when you're colon has NEVER behaved the same for 2 weeks.

FlowerGarden

My son would trash the house, put holes in walls and break doors, as well as scream and yell at us. He was hospitalized a few times. His psychiatrist & the psychiatrist at the hospital told us to call the police every time he became out of control or saying anything about wanting to hurt himself or others. We kept doing that. Finally, he got court ordered into a residential program. I suggest you call the police. We hated calling but he needed help. Also, I was told to word it specifically as "he is out of control and I am afraid he will hurt someone or himself". One time we went to the ER and they decided he was ok and were releasing him. I made sure I signed the paperwork with "I do not agree with his release and I am afraid he will hurt someone or himself". The next day he wound up being hospitalized and it rolled into him being placed in residential.

HellHelix

My son would trash the house, put holes in walls and break doors, as well as scream and yell at us. He was hospitalized a few times. His psychiatrist & the psychiatrist at the hospital told us to call the police every time he became out of control or saying anything about wanting to hurt himself or others. We kept doing that. Finally, he got court ordered into a residential program. I suggest you call the police. We hated calling but he needed help. Also, I was told to word it specifically as "he is out of control and I am afraid he will hurt someone or himself". One time we went to the ER and they decided he was ok and were releasing him. I made sure I signed the paperwork with "I do not agree with his release and I am afraid he will hurt someone or himself". The next day he wound up being hospitalized and it rolled into him being placed in residential.

Thank you. I will do that as that was the advice given to me as well by the doctor at the treatment center he's at now. I have an appointment with a group of agencies to present my story to them with someone from NAMI coming with me. We're hoping they will help us with something for him and if not then we tried and my only other options are to start calling the police.

Praecepta

Yes, "Danger to himself or Other People" are the key words. I think some of these medical people are afraid of releasing someone who later causes harm to other people. They are probably worried about being sued?

Anyway once those words are used, they seem to have no alternative than to lock 'em up! (Then let someone else release the person and take responsibility.)

B4mommy

Thank you! It's very hard to find support because the people who don't live with him don't understand, they think we're just being mean when we're out and make him stay with us instead of going to play with other kids. They don't understand anytime he's alone with other kids, someone always gets hurt by him and it's always an "accident" I don't have a motion alarm but I definitely need to look into it because he wakes up during the night and roams the house getting into things. We are definitely afraid of him and are dreading his return in a few days because I know for me, I will no longer sleep because even though I can lock doors to keep us safe, he'll be roaming the house seeing what he can get into and I'm always afraid of waking up to my home being trashed by him so I constantly get up to check on him. One night at about 2am I got up to go check on him and found him in the kitchen with food all over the floor, he'd take it from the pantry take a few bites and throw it on the floor and continue on. Mental illness is no joke and it's a shame there isn't more help out there to have these children removed from the home for being a danger to other family members.

Reading your story is like reading my 11 year old sons story. The latest is he tried to kill me and his 4 month old brother. It's pure hell to deal with this day in and day out I know! I'm always here if you need to talk

Sister's Keeper

The thing I would like to stress, though, is when calling the police ALWAYS tell dispatch that your child has mental illness and to please send a crisis trained officer.

Many departments now have officers that are trained to deal with the mentally ill when they are in crisis, but please, ALWAYS stress that they are mentally ill and need medical attention.