My stupid, messed up family

flutterby

Fly away!
My mother emailed me a link to an article from our hometown newspaper. My great-aunt was killed in a car accident. This was my great-aunt from my dad's side of the family.

I wasn't close to her. I haven't seen her since I was little, but I remember how nice she was to me; especially considering how awful my grandmother was to her (she was my grandfather's sister, and even though he was the only grandfather I knew, we were not blood related).

But, let's look how I came to find this out.

My dad notified my brother. My brother sent the article to my mother (not her side of the family) and my mother sent the article to me. My great-aunt died Sunday. If it hadn't been for my mom, I would never have found out. I would have missed the funeral and everything.

I don't know why I let their antics bother me. Most of the time I let it slide off my back. But, this is important information. They all have my email address and phone number.

Whatever. I'll get over it. I'll be damned if I let them in on anything in my life ever again.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. That's pretty messed up. And more than a little stupid. Would it have killed one of them to just give you a call and let you know? sheesh

Sorry your great aunt passed. Even more sorry for the awful way you got the news.

((hugs))

BusynMember

I hate families. We're stuck with their DNA even if they're not very nice to us. I have decided that "family" means those who love you and who you love back. I digress.

That's really sad and I'm sorry. My mom had a brain tumor and told the family to keep it from me. Everyone did. I still don't know the point of not telling me.

I'm glad you found out in time. (((Hugs)))

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
When my grandma (dad's mom) went into the hospital I found out by one of my husband's coworkers. When she died I found out from my mom who found out from my sister in law who found out from my aunt. I live in the same town as grandma and aunt. Still found out the circuitous way. I don't know why they do things like that.

Sending hugs.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Families are just plain weird and cruel.
Who knows why and what goes through some peoples minds.

I think this is how I am going to find out how most of my relatives pass.

I am sorry she passed.

Hugs to you

Star*

call 911........call 911
This is my Mom's side of the family all over - the last few funerals I never even knew about until I went to the cemetery to put flowers on my Grandmothers grave and the plots were full and the dates were carved on the headstones - nice.

I'm sorry about your aunt passing.

flutterby

Fly away!
A friend of mine says we lead parallel lives, our families and histories are so much alike. I was telling him about this last night and he asked, "Are you sure we're not related? I have tons of cousins that I don't know." I replied, "Well, I have a lot of family that I don't know. So, at this point, I think we should just say we're cousins. And then we can say we're the only normal ones in the family." :tongue: