NAMI Events?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Anyone ever go to a local NAMI event? Our local chapter is having a picnic soon and I'm not sure if it's something to take the family to or not... what to expect?

klmno

I haven't gone to an event, but I spoke with a "head" of our local chapter on the phone. He was a volunteer- I'm not sure how many are volunteers (as in- if all of them are). But, I wouldn't hesitate to just call and ask if it is a family event. My guess is that it would be-

I am involved in the organizational aspect of starting a NAMI chapter in our area. For us, if there's a picnic planned, it would be family included.

The local chapters are generally all volunteer (all are volunteers in ours) ~ the state chapter has a few paid employees. Most of any "workshops" you would attend are volunteer. For example, I'm to attend a teacher training for Visions for Tomorrow ~ I would then teach an 8 week class to others. They ask I teach 2 classes in 2 years. I guess if anything, my pay comes before hand while I'm attending the weekend training all expenses are paid for (food and housing).

It's worth calling and asking about!