Nancy -

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nancy,

Parents that guide children like ours in a poor direction are among the sorriest of people in the world. A year or so ago I found myself listening to Dude over the phone tell DF and myself what a wonder DaddyDisney was. I sat listening, knowing either he was lying to us, himself or both - perhaps just not at the same time. Later when I heard stories about eating out of dumpsters, living on the streets, how life was in Mouse-town I found out just how wonderful a therapist I had seen over the years, not to mention how much I had retained on anger management. Every single fiber clear down to my toes certainly, could have hopped into a vehicle and waged a full-scale war. All of me? Realized quicker than I got angry - that nothing I did would change a thing for Dude - these were all things he would have to come to realize on his own; if ever - and no matter how hurt, angry or disgusted I was (again for the second twenty years it seemed) THIS was not my battle. This life wasn't mine.
I very much wanted it to be, I very much wanted Dude to include me in it - I felt I lost so much already, that it hurt and only a Mother can explain that feeling to another Mother so you know exactly what I mean.

I sat three nights ago, holding my cell phone in my hand for no particular reason whatesover. It texted/buzzed - and it was Dude asking what I was doing, then he called. No particular reason, not asking for anything, just him chatting to me, about everything, and nothing at all. We laughed, he told jokes - he asked how everyone was - dogs, cats - his Dad (DF) called him Dad too, my family. When the call was ended - he said the "well I hate to get going Momma, but I have laundry to do and I have to take Monkee for a walk, love you, miss you." and I looked down at the phone and we had been talking for 29 1/2 minutes. TWENTY NINE and a half minutes. I just sat there Nancy, misty eyed. 29 minutes. Do you know that in 20 years - My son and I have not had a conversation that long without an argument - that included a laugh, and just was nice and not asked for anything or didn't include me, me, me statements. He wasn't angry, he wasn't ugly - he wans't going to kill anyone 0r ANYTHING like that. I just sat there looking at that dumb phone for the longest time - probably another 29 1/2 minutes - and had those happy, hot tears run down my face. It was like - HUH - so this is what it's like when you get () much normal huh? Nice - ME? Nice. I guess maybe I sat there for another 30 minutes and just had a moment of silence for the good call - and for the rest of us - mostly for the rest of us not having such good days and for our kids - mostly that whatever vacation their angels are on? Uhhh time to get off them and get back to work -

Anyway I didn't have any pearls of wisdom to share to make you smile - but I thought maybe that would give you a little grin - knowing how it's been over here in flashlight land. Hang in there - and if it's any consolation - the walls in my 'office' are still dudes last awful green - I have no idea what we were thinking....and now the dogs have his bedspread. lol.

Hugs
Star

Nancy

Star I know exacty what you mean. You know since she has been with her "new family" she has started working as a "professional dancer" in a strip club, gotten her tongue pierced, used drugs on a regular basis, posted pictures of herself high on drugs and/or alcohol, slept with many different men she has just met, and had a threesome. I'd say this new family has really guided her in a much better direction than we have for the past 19 years.

I'm so glad you got that call from dude. I think it will be many years if ever that I get that call. As far as her room goes, it's starting to smell a lot better and I have just about cleaned out every reminder of her dark days. The next is her closet, will box up all her clothes. The walls will be patched and hopefully painted. I will attempt to put the door frame back on that she tore off for the umteenth time when she left and eventually the carpet torn up and replaced.

Thanks for always understanding.

Nancy

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nancy,

Just always leave that door open and a small reminder that no one else knows about - but you. It helps. I have a momento or two that don't mean anything to anyone, but me around the house and in the yard. Some days? It's all I need - to see that reminder outside, have a cup of coffee, have my talk with my higher power - and get on with my life best way I can. You have a fantastic husband to lean on - and while it doesn't help you right now? There are so many kids and people and organizations out there that are deserving of your time, love and wisdom. Keeping busy helps a lot. Not knowing what they do? Helps even more until they get their head back on.

Hugs & Love
Star

busywend

Nancy, I am sorry for your pain.

I really hope that no matter how much she apologizes for those words, that you harden yourself right now to not accept her at all. Harden yourself for her sake. Let her see just how much you do not want to be around her now that she has said those words aloud.

If nothing else, you must harden yourself from her in order to teach her that she should never accept anyone in her life that says those mean things to her. You must teach her this by your reaction to her.

DammitJanet

Wow Nancy...I simply dont know what to say. Like Suz, even at Cory's finest moments he has refrained from going quite that far because he probably knows those words would sink him. I am his last ally in this world. Hate me? Sure...millions of times. I think that comes with the job description.

This is the time you have to harden your hearts to her. She is choosing her own path and only when all else fails will she be willing to change. What is it that they say? When the cost to them is more expensive to stay the same than change, then they will find a way to make those changes. As an adult, she now has to do this on her own.

N

Nomad

I always find it interesting (ugh), disturbing, frustrating....whatever...how many of our difficult children fall into the hands of interesting, disturbing, and frustrating adults who feed into their issues in a major way....

Agreeing with- Star, when you do NOT know their day to day "business" (ugh) it is MUCHO easier for you the parent. You have done your job x 100. I agree, leave the door a little open. In our family, we help our difficult child with medical stuff (as long as she is respectful + appropriate with us).

But, moving back in is a no-no. WE all know this. Having significantly more peace in our home has been a G-d Send. We hope for the best for difficult child. husband and I move forward 100 mph. Couldn't do that previously.

God Bless you Nancy...and all of those struggling here.

P

PatriotsGirl

HUGS, Nancy!!!! I haven't been around in a while. I'm sad to read about your difficult child and I pray one day she comes around.....

I can SO relate about the cleaning out of the room. I have done it twice and am really not looking forward to doing it again. It will be a bright, sunny office when I am done....and hopefully the memories of finding meth pipes, burnt lightbulbs and little foil wrappers will start to fade....

Nancy

Thank you all, your comments make me cry! I know we are in this together and your support is what keeps me going, truly.

Nancy