Narcan--overdose "miracle drug"

Nancy

It was just announced that it is being sold over the counter at Walgreens in our state and is coming to the local grocery store pharmacy dept.

Loreelle005

"...but I'm thinking it over...anyway...
My pet peave about Narcan? It gives a false sense of security to a user. It is not failsafe. Timing means a lot, so does dose of drug that causes the use of Narcan. All of these things make me LOATHE the idea, but the 'piece de resistance'? The users have no idea the damage they are doing to their bodies BEFORE Narcan, and thus, they believe it fixes the problem. It. Does. Not.

When I worked in the ER, a patient came in overdosed, we used Narcan and chest compressions and other interventions. When the patient was wakeful enough to ask, she wanted to go home. She became extremely agitated when we did not let her go home. The time in the overdosed state deprives vital organs of oxygen-rich blood, therefore creating the possibility of great damage. The time spent in the hospital after Narcan is to check the function of those vital organs...not to mention what Narcan itself may do to the body.

It's not a free ride, and many users will be more relaxed and comfortable believing it IS. I hate it and I always will.

The real fix is not in a reversal drug.

I'm crying.

InsaneCdn

The real fix is not in a reversal drug.
At least two layers to this, of course.
There's the serious addicts, who want to have this reversal drug so they can keep doing whatever they are doing. And I agree - it fixes nothing, really.

Then there are the ones who are caught - and end up with an overdose, maybe not even due to their own choices. The kid who comes home after a party, and then starts ODing on the couch. The reversal drug buys time. Nothing else. Time to get EMTs there, time to get to a hospital. In the medium term, time to possibly get them into rehab or other help. The reversal drug needs to exist. And for some people, it is a life-line. For others... it just makes the mess, messier.

Loreelle005

"...but I'm thinking it over...anyway...
At least two layers to this, of course.
There's the serious addicts, who want to have this reversal drug so they can keep doing whatever they are doing. And I agree - it fixes nothing, really.

Then there are the ones who are caught - and end up with an overdose, maybe not even due to their own choices. The kid who comes home after a party, and then starts ODing on the couch. The reversal drug buys time. Nothing else. Time to get EMTs there, time to get to a hospital. In the medium term, time to possibly get them into rehab or other help. The reversal drug needs to exist. And for some people, it is a life-line. For others... it just makes the mess, messier.
totally agree with you and COMPLETELY understand that. It does SO make the mess messier. I know I presented one side, please overlook my zeal, at least the appearance of not caring about those cases where it is SO needed. I have seen that side as well, but it is about one out of every forty. :( At least, that's how it is where I am.

Love your take...