nasty scary weather- prayers for people

dreamer

I want to send out my prayers to anyone who is experienceing nasty and scary weather.
We were lucky..very early this morning, maybe 4 am ish we had a lot of rain with thunder and lightening, I only woke due to hot flashes, LOL. Around 11 am, we have intense winds, no rain, no thunder, no lightening BUT the winds could have been as high as 80 MPH. I lost a tree in back and half a tree in front, and all my neighbors also lost some very old seemingly solid very mature Maples. My yard swings were flying aroound the yard like tinkertoys. On our famous/historic town Square, they wound up closeing it all with crime scene tape, and blocking people from entering at height of noon due to several people getting hurt by flying debris.
difficult child and I were out around 1230 and it looks like we (our house and town square) were in direct path of the majority of damage, going thru our county on an angle from SW to NE. Ironically I had originally planned to go today to do my monthly shopping at military base, but, very early this morning the TV news had said a freight train had hit a car on my route to go there and that it was a mess, so I did not go. Later it turns out the wind storm had gone thru that way and nearly every single stoplight the entire 90 min+ trip was out and nonfunctional. While we did need some things there, I am very glad we did not heaed out, it would have been awful! Scuttlebutt on town square is we had a microburst, but-----it is not confirmed at this time, altho what we did have was sustained minimum 65 MPH winds for several hours that has been confirmed. easy child said her school got hit by a tree, and the elec theere went out- and many streets around her school were blocked from the trees.
I know a TV helicopter was here circling for quite a long time from chicago and several TV news vans were around town, as well.
My son was a little confused and not very happy when we came home to have to tell him, our KFC is gone, not from the storm, but maybe from the economy----and whew, the gas today in town was $4.17 gal.

So my yard, my neighborhood and my town looks hit hard, my loved ones, our house itself and our cars are all OK. BUT I am worried and afraid for others who may not be so lucky. :-(
I am hoping hard everyone is safe and stays safe.

MyFriendKita

Glad you're all okay. We're still waiting for it to hit here. There have been some tornadoes to the north of us and east of us, but it seems to be losing some of it's power now, thankfully. I'm hoping we don't lose electricity--of course husband is out of town, and difficult child is out with friends. I've got my matches and candles ready, though.

F

flutterbee

It's heading here. And from the looks of it, it's going to be a good light show.

On that note, I'm bringing the computer down.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
A storm was hitting as I went to bed this morning at around 3 ish. (don't know if this is the one you're talking about)

I was so pooped from studying that I woke husband up and made him come down and shut off the computer because I'd forgotten. It looked like a loo loo, lots of lightening, lots of high winds. But I was out cold and never saw the actual storm.

I don't know about other areas, but the season has just started and already we've had ton of really severe storms. easy child and I made a trip to Aldi's yesterday and I couldn't believe the number of huge solid old trees lying on their sides roots ripped out of the ground.

Seems like with each storm we get majorly pounded with rain too. I don't mean your average downpour, but a literally pounding rain so darn hard the windshield wipers can't clear the water from the windshield enough to see where you're going. And lucky me, I've been caught in several of those taking Travis to work. Not fun.

I hope everyone who was in the path of the storm is safe and sound.

Hugs

MyFriendKita

The east side if Indianapolis got hit pretty hard, a lot of damage and some injuries (possibly a tornado), but here we just got a lot of lightning and some rain. It doesn't look like we even got that much rain.

I hope everyone else is safe.

muttmeister

I'm glad you're all OK. We've been lucky here. difficult child#1 lives in Kearney and the tornado there Thursday night was close to them but they are all OK. One of their friends lost his car and apartment and got his head banged around and broke his glasses but I guess in the scheme of things he was lucky too. Here's hoping the tornado season ends soon (Who am I kidding? The only month Nebraska has never had a tornado is February and there's nothing to say that record will stand).