Natural remedies for sleep

H

HaoZi

Not sure what's available to you over there, a number of us use melatonin.

Malika

Thank you Haozi. Just done some "google research" and it's called Mélatonine in French, is available OTC here in pharmacies and studies have apparently proved it to be effective in helping children with "neuro-developmental problems" sleep. My son has no problem getting to sleep - goes out like a light - but invariably wakes up in the early hours to come into my bed, which means both our sleep is then disturbed... So I will definitely be trying this out!

H

HaoZi

Oh, to stay asleep? I know it's useful to help them to get to sleep, but staying asleep might be something else. The early hours bed crawling sounds pretty normal at his age I think.

H

HaoZi

Just pay close attention to the dosing as little as he is, and let us know.

Malika

Well, another difference between the States and France (Europe?) in terms of medications... A pharmacist here (in the nearest largeish town) informed me that Melatonin (or, rather, a product that apparently manufactures Melatonin in the body) is not allowed for children here. She also told me that although it is a natural product, it can be dangerous if misused - can cause some brain damage if used in too high dosages, she said.
So, back to the drawing board, I think!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
That may be true, but here it is sold in 3-mg tablets. I would say - talk to the pediatrician - but a 3-mg tablet cut in quarters could be a good starting place.

FWIW? It makes me sleepy, but does not keep me asleep.

Malika

Thanks... but I'm afraid I'd be too scared to try it out on my own initiative, the pharmacist having told me categorically it is not suitable for children in the form sold in France... As my little boy is also coming out of nappies at night, might as well take advantage of him waking up to come into my bed to get him to go to the loo... oh, I bet that's a British-ism!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Only if you still have pull chains on the tanks in the WC.

OK. Seriously, ask the pediatrician. Pharmacists may be great, but... There are limits.

H

HaoZi

You could try warm milk if you're just trying to get him to sleep. Tryptophan is the protein in milk, turkey, etc., that also is a sleep inducer, but it has to be taken on its own, other things eaten with it disrupt that.

Malika

Ha... cultural differences raise their (ugly?) head again, I suspect... I've spent a fair bit of time in the States but don't recall how the pharmacies are there. In France... well, how to give a little glimpse? You walk into this gleaming, beautifully arranged emporium to the side of which stand people, mostly women, in impeccable white coats, beautifully groomed, not a hair out of place. Yes? one of them says, with the air of graciously granting you a not inconsiderable favour. You explain what it is you'd like. With great self-composure and a tremendous sense of sparkling and imperious efficiency that implies years of study and self-discipline, they assist you...
I am taking the word of the pharmacist !! They are second only to the President of the Republic.
Honestly, no joke, it's like this in every pharmacy here :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OMG!!!!!

OK, here? You have this HUGE store. Somewhere in the back corner is a little window (or counter), behind which a couple of people in white coats (the pharmacists are usually men, the assistants women) are lurking. After you stand in line for a while, you MIGHT be able to get their attention. If you have a prescription, you give it to them, along with your birthday, address and lots of other identity-thief-drooling information. If you wait for it, they'll tell you 20 minutes, and you'll be there an hour. Or more. If it's been called in? You give them the name and birthdate, then verify your address. Depending on what your insurance pays, you then sign over your next 5 pay checks.

OR, it's just a pharmacy - nothing else - I haven't ever been in one of those. Not very big places.

H

HaoZi

It's an unregulated supplement here. I could send Kiddo in Wal-Mart to buy it if she knew what she was doing. Maybe we should mail you some, lol.

BJay

My daughter's neurologist's recommended 3mg of melatonin AND 5mg of melatonin TR (Time Release). The 3mg helps her get to sleep, but only lasts about 30- 60 minutes, the 5mg of TR is released throughout the night. The TR was also very difficult to find, eventually I found it at a nature store...well worth it! Talk to your doctor about this!

Malika

Thanks. I have a brother who lives in the States so perhaps he would be able to scout for this... The only thing is that I now feel nervous about giving it to my son aged four, having been warned by a French pharmacist that it can cause brain damage if the right dosage is not used! Here it is not licensed for children... Is there any kind of controversy around Melatonin in the States?

exhausted

Malika,
I wouldn't do it. We are quick to give pills here. Yes melatonin is "naturally" occuring in the brain. He's 4-how much is naturally occuring in a four year old brain? Give him warm milk, a bedtime story after a soothing bath and maybe calm music, call it good. It didn't work for my daughter after psychiatrist gave her max dose. Knew lots of kids in the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) it didn't work for as well.

Malika

Thanks, exhausted (by the way, I hope you are not exhausted ALL the time :), I reckon I'll take your advice. Thing is there is never (honestly, never, ever - now that will be what we call famous last words...) any trouble with my son going to sleep. We have a story in bed, kiss goodnight, I leave the room and within about five minutes he is asleep. But then he wakes up every night in the early hours and comes into my bed.... I don't mind that (and the psychologist said he is seeking reassurance which it's important I provide), but it means we then both have very disturbed sleep after that... If only he would sleep right through in his own bed until 7 or so and then come into mine for a morning cuddle!
I've tried camomile tea but didn't make any difference. Doctor gave me a homeopathic treatment for hyperactivity but didn't make any difference...

H

HaoZi

Could you give him a good sized stuff animal to cuddle that smells of your perfume?

exhausted

My difficult child-now 16 has ended in my bed since age 5 or so. When she is home, she still does this at age 16. Of course we now know it is the PTSD. We tried everything the books said to get her to stay in her bed. We finially put a mattress on the floor so we could sleep with peace. I don't know if this is the right thing or not but we had to sleep. She is now (last 3 months) on a sleep medication which helps her everywhere but home. She still comes in our room when she is here. But this is years of sleep trouble and the fact that she has spent so much time the last 2 years away from us. It is the last thing on our long list we want to tackle at this point.

We did a thing called (my spelling will be bad here) Saccrial/Cranial therapy for my boy (ADHD). We did it through a massage therapist who was trained in this. I don't understand how it works completely-but it had some effect on him. Had to do it weekly. He was on medications. but they wore off by the time he was home and he was a handfull. We did have improvement. We also did biofeedback. That was the best of all, we got him off medications.- but he was in late Junior high by this time. They were working with very young kids in the center. Both are contraversial therapies. But they helped us. He is a great kid today and successful mechanic. Mind you, we did start ritalin at age 5 when he started school-teachers would have killed him and he would have no friends, we did not want him to pay that price. Ritalin at that time was the most studied drug-our kid is huge (so weight loss not an issue), and I know as a teacher these kids will self medicate by High School if they don't gain a sense of control. By high school, our boy had enough control and motivation he was able to stop medication. Today he uses some really good hobbies to burn off energy-he is rebuilding old cars and plays the drums. Just thought I would share some ideas. Stay the course!