Nearly One Million Children in U.S. Potentially Misdiagnosed With ADHD, Study Finds

Discussion in 'Parenting News' started by runawaybunny, Sep 20, 2010.

1. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Guest

Nearly One Million Children in U.S. Potentially Misdiagnosed With ADHD, Study Finds - Science Daily

Nearly 1 million children in the United States are potentially misdiagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder simply because they are the youngest -- and most immature -- in their kindergarten class, according to new research by a Michigan State University economist.

These children are significantly more likely than their older classmates to be prescribed behavior-modifying stimulants such as Ritalin, said Todd Elder, whose study will appear in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Health Economics.

"If a child is behaving poorly, if he's inattentive, if he can't sit still, it may simply be because he's 5 and the other kids are 6," said Elder, assistant professor of economics. "There's a big difference between a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old, and teachers and medical practitioners need to take that into account when evaluating whether children have ADHD."

2. LittleDudesMom

LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

Great reasoning. My difficult child's therapist told us this years ago when she first started seeing difficult child. She didn't diagnosis him with adhd for a year or so after she started seeing him and could get a consistent pattern. Although, I think both she and I knew the outcome from the start!

Sharon