Neat ph call from camp

TerryJ2

Ooooh, the dir of my difficult child's camp just called and of course, the min I saw the Caller ID, I cringed, thinking something was wrong.
Nope. She wanted ideas for snacks that other kids could share. And she said the cook offered to make pancakes from other flour if I could send some. Woo hoo!
So I suggested tortilla chips and salsa, cashews, popcorn, and even though there's milk in it, if he needs a very special treat, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
I'm packing a box of rice flour and rice cookies to send via UPS right now.
This is SO cool. I was SO tired of repeating to people that difficult child has a wheat allergy, and it's wonderful not only to have people take it seriously, but bend over backward to make sure he is accommodated.

That reminds me, I have to email the school principal, because they have horrid snacks after school at Adventure Club and last yr they wouldn't let me bring my own, even if it was enough to share. Heck, in my book, if a parent offers to pay for something, let them! Best to start way ahead of time ...
on the other hand, if she refuses, then no more Adventure Club for difficult child. It was as helpful for him as for me (he works much better in a group).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It IS refreshing to have people understand and make life a little easier once in a while! Hope you get as much cooperation from the school as you do from camp :)

Christy

That's great! I remember when I was teaching preschool and a mom brought in a gluten free birthday cake for her son and the class, this was years ago and I don't think the girlfriend products were as evolved as they are now. It was rather terrible but she put gummy worms on top and the kids loved those!

It is nice to here the camp is being thoughtful!
Christy

KTMom91

I think it's wonderful that the camp cares enough about the kids to make sure everyone has a good experience.

witzend

Terry, I was in Safeway today and saw a teeny tiny display of gluten free products on the end of the aisle. We have an awful lot of natural food stores around here, and Bob's Red Mill is just about 2 miles away. (If you haven't seen stuff from Bob's they're a great resource for gluten free and natural products.)

Anyway, it made me think about your son. I'm really glad to hear that he is doing well, and that they are taking such good care of him. You did a really good job picking out the right place for him.

LittleDudesMom

Terry,

we all understand the "pit in our stomach" or the "increase in circulation" upon seeing the caller id!!!!

Sounds like a great camp!

Sharon

M

ML

YEAHHHHH!!! I'm so happy this happened. How neat.

My sister in law made a dessert for my my stepdad's party this weekend that was gluten free and it was so delicious. Heck, wouldn't it be great if we could do more of these health creations to share with others.

How heartwarming that the cook offered to do this for difficult child. I bet the others want some too, better send extra :) Hugs, ML

TerryJ2

Thanks!
I found some Bob's Red Mill at the health food store and have it on my shelf.
I shipped a box UPS today, with-pancake mix, rice crackers, etc., and after I shipped it, found two boxes of frozen wheat-free waffles I could have sent. Oh well.
I talked to a friend today who sent both her girls to camp in PA for a mo. I was so excited to find someone else who thought that length of time was "normal" and not virtually abusive (like some local parents and my family think. Grrr.)

M

ML

If I learn one thing in this lifetime I hope it is to not care at all what others think. I've gotten close, but still succumb to the tendancy to doubt myself if my decisions and methods of parenting are criticized. I think this camp is going to be a water shed period for your son and that only good things will come of it.

TerryJ2

Thank you for your support, ML and everyone. It really helps. Last might my husband wouldn't even let me talk about difficult child because he (husband) was so lonesome (he's into the guilt thing--although intellecutally he knows we are doing the right thing, he can't grasp it emotionally and I know he is upset with-me. I suspect it will show up at some point in passive-aggressive behavior). Argh.