Need an idea on how to get back at a neighbor.

keista

The fence is a great first step. I'm thinking that you should suddenly develop a very deep interest in wind-chimes. LOTS of them. Not just on your porch, but hang them all over the yard on plant hanging poles.

If he or the kids go in your yard again, you can threaten him with a 'No trespass'. The landlord is liable if anything happens on the property, but you are liable for anything you may have caused on the property. For example, if your darling neighbor should have a lethal allergic reaction to the dog poop in the yard, you would be liable, so for his own protection, you will get the order.

AND if his kids can play in your yard, then your "kid" should be able to play in his. It's only fair and neighborly, don't ya think?

mstang67chic

Going Green
I like the fence/sign idea. I would even put the fence inside YOUR property line a few feet because you know he'll probably raise cain about the fence being on HIS property. Find out from the landlord what the line is or even contact the city/county. My county has a website where you can enter the address and get a picture of the lot with the boundries mapped out. Either way, find out for sure ( or very close approximate) and get a hard copy. And then when he complains about the fence (and you KNOW he will), you can whip out your paperwork and show him that not only is the fence in your yard but it's actually well WITHIN your yard.

Then smile in that nice way that we all know REALLY means "go do something physically impossible with yourself". :bigsmile:

donna723

Well if that don't beat all! I've heard of people claiming to be allergic to all kinds of things but dog poop is a new one on me! Can you imagine going to the allergist and asking to be tested for an allergy to doggie poo?

You all are so full of helpful, peaceful solutions! I was going to suggest another way. Save up ALL the doggie poo for at least a month, put it in a special place in your back yard where it can dry and age properly. Then find out EXACTLY where the property line is. Put a stake at each end and run a string between them so you know exactly where it is. Then take all your saved up puppy poop and line the pieces up to make a little barrier about two inches inside the property line on YOUR side of the line. If his children stay on their own side of the "barrier", they won't step in anything! If the children take after their father and are a bit "dim", you could spray paint the puppy poop in an easily seen color, florescent orange maybe, so they will know exactly where their yard ends and yours begins!!

flutterby

Fly away!
If it had been me and someone was in my yard taking pictures and throwing poop on my porch, I would have called the police. I don't care if neighbors like that like me (although, I have wonderful neighbors), and I'm not afraid of confrontation. Ahem. He's being a bully.

tiredmommy

You need a fence (or shrubs, etc) because something in your yard could be considered an attractive nuisance. Actually, the landlord needs a notarized letter stating that you are concerned that these neighborhood children will get hurt in the yard while playing unsupervised so you need a physical barrier to protect him from the liability of being sued if they should be harmed while on the property. And in the meantime, you will be contacting the police when they venture into the yard so that the can be returned (safely) to their family. All in the name of keeping the children safe, of course.

Jody

Donna, I love it, i would love to be standing in my kitchen and get a picture of his face when he first sees what I have done. That would be priceless.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'll start by saying I haven't read the other responses.

Neighbor "wars" are never a good idea. Once it starts it can take on a life of it's own. Trust me, my mother did it for 20 yrs with our next door neighbor who was only kind enough to say hello to her. And you will be miserable. I know pay back is tempting, but it rarely works.

In short, the guy is a bully. He's trying to 1. get you to get rid of the dog and or 2. move because of the dog, or 3. both.

I would make a detailed letter to the landlord, including the unwanted children in your yard. If the children or the dad continue to trespass, I'd start calling the police. You have every right. While you are paying rent on this house it's your property. I'd also put up the inexpensive fence as a visual that this is the line that does NOT get crossed. I'd also tell your kids that playing with the neighbors kids is not happening since their dad is so afraid they'll step in dog poo.

Now next time the neighbor makes a comment about the dog poo, say simply and firmly that their child would NOT have stepped in it if it had not trespassed on your property, and if such actions continue you will be forced to make an official complaint. As long as he remains in his yard, the dog poo has no reason to be an issue with him. Period.

Now when you get that fence make certain the landlord gets the property lines correct from the city. Your fence goes so many feet inside that boundary, depends on where you live, here I think it's 2 feet. If you can afford it, I'd fence in the whole back yard where the dog goes, so the bully's brats won't be able to wander in your yard anymore. While your at it, make the landlord take off the cost of the fence from your rent as you've just increased his property value.

I'm hoping your neighbor also rents and that he'll be gone soon. Because fence or no fence (it only protects your rights ect) he's not going to shut up. My mom harassed a neighbor over their dog for 3 yrs solid. If the dog barked she griped, if the yard wasn't cleaned up immediately she let them hear about the "stench". She'd call the cops. It was ridiculous as the owners weren't doing anything wrong and the dog was just being a dog. But they eventually gave up the dog just to shut her up.

((hugs))

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
If we step back for a moment and consider the neighbor....what might have happened that led him to collecting poo and dumping it on the porch?

Just a hunch, but...

I'm betting that some of that poo ended up getting tracked into his house - possibly all over the carpets or some such.

And from the neighbor's point of view - it may be that the kids had become accustomed to playing in that area due to the relationship with the person who lived there before. So despite the change in ownership, the kids still play they way they've been accustomed to playing.

Now, the neighbor may be reminding his kids - but that may be in one ear and out the other when those little ones really get playing. The neighbor sees you have a dog - and makes an offer to actually help you put in a tie-out for the dog in an area where the kids do not play. For whatever reason, that did not work out...

And then one day - poo everywhere.

Where did that come from?

And I imagine lots of finger pointing and Not me! Not me! and Dad - it must have been in our yard because...

So yes - start with a fence.

For everyone's sanity.

Good luck!

DammitJanet

Everyone is saying start with a fence...but Jody is renting. Her landlord may not want her to put up a fence. Also, a fence is a mighty expensive thing to put up. Now not the little decorative thing she is talking about if its the little, white plastic garden fence that is about a foot high. That is probably only about a couple of bucks for a 3 foot section but if you are talking about a chain link fence or even a wooden fence or even a chicken wire fence, you are going to run into some money for even a relatively small yard. A dog kennel is about 250 for a 6 x10 so you can imagine how much it would be to fence in a yard. I think the landlord needs to get involved and decide if he wants to fence the yard.

Jody

Well I have to say my dog is not going anywhere. I talked to the landlord and he was not happy about it. I dont think he will do anything though. I am going to put out my little inexpensive garden decorations and put my big pots back there. I am going to get a no trespassing sign and stick it on my little fence. I am going to sit out on the stoop and enjoy my back yard whether he is out there giving me bad looks or not. if they come over near my things or do anything with it I will call the police. His kids are 3,4,5,6 and if they tracked dog poo in the house, blame the adults someone should be out supervising children that age anyway. I dont like being bothered in any way good or bad by neighbors. I dont like neighborly chitchat, and will wave but that's about it. I dont bother them and I dont want them bothering me, not the most social person, but that's how I am. I never leave my dog outside ever by himself, why would you leave your young children? That man is just trouble and he really thinks he's in the right on this. If he weren't six foot 2 and 250 lbs and know the landlord he wouldnt be insisting that his kids play in the neighbors yard. I normally would retreat into my home, not doing it this time. I guess I am getting stronger, when it comes to dumb dumbs. lol