Need board vibes for Wee (a good thing)

slsh

member since 1999
So husband and Weeburt are on the east coast looking at colleges. First one he liked. Second one (Ivy League) did not impress either one, which is fine. They're at third one today, a heavily math/science/computer/engineering geek-like school that is arguably the best of its kind (my dad is a grad, so I'm biased). I think it would be a perfect fit for Wee in terms of being with- peers who march to their own drumbeats and being academically challenging, as well as having access to a lot of the curriculum that he's looking for. Plus, it's just one heck of a school.

I've probably been a bad mom because I've been talking about this school for him for probably the last 6 years, LOL. No question I'm biased, and Wee, as independent as he is, has this completely bizarre trait of trying to please me - which is great when the kid is 12, but worries me when he's soon to be 18 and needs to be thinking about what *he* wants. I really have emphasized that I don't care where he goes to school, that he needs to pick a place where he can see himself spending the next 4 years, be it down the road or in Timbuktu (but at the same time - geek school could really be right up his alley - I'm *awful*!!!!!!!!).

So I guess the vibes I'd like to request are ... either that he genuinely and truly likes the school *or* that if he doesn't, he will speak up (but more that he really likes the school, LOL).

And if he likes the school - a winning lottery ticket would be extra great! :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good vibes going out, and a little prayer too. (doesn't hurt)

And actually, I think it's still good he wants to please you. It shows he respects your opinion on things, which is a high compliment, especially from someone his age. Of course, no, you don't want him to carry it to the extreme, but I doubt he would.

Fingers crossed too. :)

klmno

I'm keeping my gingers crossed that he'll find the 'right fit' and one he'll be happy at for the 4 years but I doubt this will be a problem- it sounds like he's really going to find a good one that everyone will be comfortable with.

slsh

member since 1999
Deep sigh of relief - he liked it. Honestly liked it. Who knows if he'll actually get in - he's got the grades and scores, but .... it's highly selective so it'll be interesting to see. He's not the most engaged HS student. Not sure Anime and Math clubs will do it, LOL. on the other hand, I really do think he'd fit in perfectly.

So, 3 out of the 6 schools he's looked at he's liked - actually incredibly impressive for a kid who has virtually no opinion about anything, LOL. Decision-making is not his strong suit. One more to look at and then it will be time to make a chart with- deadlines for applications.

I have a sick feeling that his Senior year is going to go by waaaaaaay too fast.

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm glad that he liked the school you liked. Sounds like you have one smart kid there. Congratulations!

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hope things go the way he wants. Good luck with the lotto ticket. Having easy child graduate and being finished with the tuition payments is a relief. difficult child is a whole other tuition issue. It's never ending.
Enjoy Wee's successes. The years go quickly.

DammitJanet

That school wouldnt be in Boston would it? LOL. If so, my grandfather went there too! And no, it didnt start with a H, it started with a M.