Need computer help all you spy-moms

slsh

member since 1999
thank you's gone AWOL, which at this point is more the norm than not, but for some reason tonight I'm freaking out more than usual. He was home for the holiday and used our computer - I can't find his old myspace, think he changed it. I know he has a new one and am trying to find what the url is via the internet history, but I can't find the doggone internet history!!!!! I know how to delete history, but can't find it in the first place.

It's a Vista OS. Can anyone explain in really *simple* instructions on how to find the listing of the internet history??? I think it used to be in a file folder of temp internet history on Windows 98 - where oh where did Vista put it???

Thanks so much.

klmno

If you see a star in the left corner of the menus, at the top of your screen, click on it. It will probably be the favorites menu, but if you click on it, you should see another option pop up for history.

If you're worried about myspace and he doesn't have it set to private and used his real name- do a google search for his name and see what you find.

slsh

member since 1999
klmno - thank you thank you thank you. I had already done a search using his name and using the names I know he goes by. I did find his page but I believe he's changed his email addy so I can't access password anymore. The page is set to private, which may be for the best given what *does* show. Sigh.... Guess I'll just sit and wait.

How cool is it that we have this huge wealth of resources to back us up in our times of panic??? ;) I love this board.

Thanks again!

klmno

Well, did you find it? I use the history section to find what my son has been on. I do have my son's most commonly used id names and passwords. So far, I haven't confronted him with so much that he changes these so I can investigate what he's doing. I don't like what I find either, if it's any consolation.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Kids usually use the same passwords or variations of passwords. Also, you should be able to find his email by doing a email search using his name. That's how I found both K's email and her myspace page. Took awhile as I had to think of what she'd used before. Turned out to be a variation of an email husband had set up for her when she was living with us.

Any friends you could have take a peek at his myspace page for you?

Becoming the norm or not, I know you're worried. (((hugs))) I hope he's located quickly.

Marguerite

Try looking at his password and seeing if there are any letters that could have been changed from upper case to lowercase, or perhaps numbers exchanged for similarly looking letters. That's a common trick also.

I just asked husband, he's good at this. He asked what browser you're using, if it's Internet Explorer he said he can't help. Or if you have ANY idea of your son's current 'handle' then he can help. It's late at night for us, but he might be able to look at work tomorrow if he's not rushed off his feet and if there are any clues. If you're still stuck, try sending a PM to "Marg's Man". No promises.

Marg

Marguerite

Marg's Man here
Piggybacking on her log in.

We usually access MySpace and the like with a web browser like Firefox, IE and a range of others. ALL of these have a History function which most people forget to wipe when they stop using it. I don't use IE for anything I can avoid because it can be too easily hacked by Black Hats. In the two I use mostly (Firefox under Windows and Mac and Apple's Safari) History is actually a menu item.

You may need to to pull up a sidebar or separate page to get the detailed history but, unless it has been deliberately wiped will accessible, especially to you. (Under Vista you will be logged as the system Administrator). From what I can find about IE there SHOULD be a history folder which be accessed from the Internet options under the Tools button.

PM me at Marg's Man if you want. Tomorrow (Sydney time) I'll try to help some more. I also have expert help that I can ask at work.

Marg's Man

Last edited:

slsh

member since 1999
Thank you all so much! I did find in the history his myspace page but it's set to private so I can't see more than his bio. At least he's not using his real name anymore. The url itself is just so vile... honestly, I don't know if it's a front or if he really feels this way, but I really don't know him very well anymore.

Passwords. He's heavily into the occult so not a chance in heck (ha-ha- a pun???) that I can figure it out. Plus, he's got so doggone many email accounts I don't think I can request his password anymore. So... that's a door that is closed. I'm letting it go as I have so much these past few months.

He did return my call around 10:00. He sounded straight but... he could just be getting good at covering. But at least he *did* return my call. He's at a girl's house - he's allegedly spending many of his nights there. I don't know what the heck the mother is thinking... is she completely out of her mind? Nothing I can do about it in any real terms. I just thanked him for letting me know that he's "safe" and bit my tongue.

TLP called to let me know he was AWOL but never called to tell me he was back - so who knows. I did have a huge pow-wow with them about 6 weeks ago, called them on the carpet, and unfortunately realized that they are doing all that can be done. He cannot be locked down. He's making a lot of really really stupid choices and ... well, it's just not very pretty and there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

So he was relatively safe and warm as of 10:00 last night. That's about as good as it gets these days.

Thanks again!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Sending many hugs. Glad that he at least called to let you know he was safe. It doesn't completely help but it was at least a little something. Have you talked with this girl's mom?

beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Slsh,

I was going to post yesterday about how you and thank you were doing. Sorry I was having my own little crisis. Sorry to see he's AWOL, but sorrier to see the familiar - it's more the norm than not comment. I so so so understand that. I feel for you. Hate that I even know why that comment is comforting in an odd sort of way.

In the mean time - put a babysitter or net nanny on your computer. When he does come to access MS? You'll know everything he said, wrote, did, typed....complete. They are an invisible program that only you know is on your easy child.

Dude will totally erase the history every time he's on my computer - it infuriates me not because I would spy (that's a lie) but mostly because it wipes out my email passwords to the site and other places....and I have to go get my book, type them in etc.

I tried putting him on as a USER account....OMG....he thought this meant I got 40 megs and HE got 40 megs of ram.....He put programs on my computer that (lets just say I NEVER want to see ever again) and it took 30 minutes JUST to open my desktop. Once I eliminated the song files and song download places and pictures? I had my computer back and deleted his user acct.

Hope this helps a little -

My heart hurts for you. I know this is such a hard time of year for our kids and a lot of people. Beaucoup stress. I do see a similar mother maturation in your posts that I recognize in my own posts lately....let him fall, consequences, his choices....all those good words.

Wish I didn't have to know any of them to survive either.

Many hugs.....

it does come to mind though - that there could be in the history an occult meeting site or posting board. If you wanted to - you could find where he goes, and read what he's posting with or without his knowledge.

I know a mom who was worried about what her daughter was doing in MS. So she found a picture of a really hot guy, created a web page with similar interests as her daughter under the guise of being this hotbod guy and the daughter emailed the "guy" (her MOM) and now the Mom is on her daughters contacts. I think this is hillarious. She has complete access to her web page. ALL the pictures, ALL the postings....Know what I mean??