Need direction

adearing01

Ok, I am very frustrated at this point. School has started so some setbacks are expected. Lot's of progress was made over the summer and now I feel like we are right back where we were four months ago. Please just let me know if anyone out there has a child that sounds like mine....
Can't keep his hands to himself, currently in occupational therapy for sensory processing disorder, on a waiting list for speach (pragmatics mainly, basically is not processing verbal or written language), anxiety disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)... His diagnosis is "ADHD with anxiety disorder" I am sorry, but this just does not do it for me! He shows signs of ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), anxiety disorder, sensory processing disorder, ODD, speech processing disorder, etc. He also has absence seizures. I just want an answer and a plan to help him!

smallworld

Has he ever been evaluated for Autistic Spectrum Disorder?

What medications/doses is he currently taking? Are they making him better, worse or about the same?

Are his seizures under control?

TerryJ2

Seems like the change in routine is enough to set him off and make him anxious.
I am hoping that he will settle down over the weekend.
Did a neuro diagnosis the seizures? Did s/he say anything about being on the autism spectrum?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm also going to ask about the autistic spectrum. If difficult child hasn't had a neuropsychologist evaluation for it, you might want to get one asap. For a moment, I thought you were talking about my son. Sounds like Travis at around that age.

Is he on medications for the absense seizures? Do you have an IEP in place at school?

I always dreaded the school year. Travis' issues at home were nothing compared to those concerning schoolwork and homework. ugh!

((hugs))

BusynMember

Good heavens, all those diagnosis. together really sound like autistic spectrum disorder, and I'd get him evaluated by a neuropsychologist (sadly, even psychiatrists often miss it and give the long laundry list of alphabet soup). If he's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), these kids need interventions in the school and community to reach their full potential or they could easily end up "falling through the cracks." I feel NeuroPsychs do extremely thorough testing and are the way to go. Good luck!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am thinking that it is well worth havinghim evaluated for Autistic Spectrum disorders. I also wonder if the sensory issues are having more of an effect than you think. My youngest has Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and I am quite amazed at the ways it has affected him. I really really thought that he would have an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis, but with appropriate interventions for the sensory issues he just isn't on the autistic spectrum.

Are you doing brushing therapy with your son? We saw HUGE improvements with that, really improved EVERY part of his life. Especially once we got the food allergies/intolerances straightened out.

Have you ever thought about trying a gluten free diet or casein free diet, or both? Or removing preservatives and food coloring from his diet? REsearch shows that sugar does not cause problems in the general population, but some of our kids react to it. My oldest, and my older brother, react VERY badly to too much sugar. My brother is a recovering alcoholic, and was a MEAN drunk. But I would rather cope with him drunk than with him after a snickers bar on an empty stomach. It is that dramatic a change. My son also gets out of control violent when he eats a lot of processed foods. We cook most foods from scratch because I have migraines triggered by preservatives and food colorings. I even make most of our mixes, simply because what is in the commercial mixes is so hard on my system. I can send you some recipes for mixes, or the name of the book I use for some of them.

Anyway, you are right to think there is more going on. A neuro psychiatric would do a LOT of testing (often up to 12 or more hours, over several appointments) and then you get some worthwhile results. Allergy testing might also be helpful, as would an elimination diet. The people on the natural forum of this board can help with resources adn guidance for that.

Glad you could join us, but so sorry you have to deal with all of this. This board was a life-saver for me, and I hope you find help, friends and support here too!

adearing01

His therapist has ordered a psychological evaluation. From what I can tell, this would not be the same as a neuropsychologist evaluation. What do you think?
We did drive three hours for an all day testing at a developmental center, only for him to have an hour and a half meltdown during the time for the psychological evaluation part. One trip before this and one after to see the neurologist who just blew us off.
We have not gone back for this testing mainly because I am under a microscope for my attendance at work. I wish I could just see them walk a mile in my shoes, then they might have a little more sympathy. I am just fed up right now! NO ONE SEEMS TO GET IT!:soapbox:

susiestar

Roll With It
Why can't hte PhD do the psychological evaluation? I thought that would be his job. A neuropsychologist would run a number of tests. Similar probably to what the development center would do. We had ours done by the docs who worked with our developmental pediatrician. He had a number of other professionals (many with phd's) who did a range of testing. Then they all sat down together and talked about what they saw during the testing and what the testing showed. Then we talked with the dev pediatrician and he gave us the results and what the docs all thought was going on. The dev pediatrician was a psychiatrist who was certified as a child and adolescent psychiatrist adn had additional certification in developmental pediatrics - all that on top of first being a reg pediatrician! So he did a lot, though not hte normal cold and flu stuff.

I think the devel center will do a lot for you. It would be worth taking the time. If they are that far away, could you go the night before and stay in a hotel so that difficult child would be rested and less likely to melt down during the testing? What did the docs say about his meltdown during the testing? I would think they could get some valuable info from the melt down too.

Things are not going to get better until you have a better handle on what is causing your son's problems.

Has his behavior gotten worse since being on strattera and prozac? They are VERY similar medications, though the strattera is used for the ADHD and not the other problems. I would be incredibly leery of having a child on both strattera and an SSRI like prozac. don't get me wrong, strattera can do a lot for adhd - it is very helpful for both my son and my brother. But the two medications act very similarly. Was difficult child on the prozac before the strattera, or was it added after? Did the same doctor prescribe both medications? Did your son's behavior change after a few months on either medication? A number of people here have seen an increase in violent behavior or anger after 3-4 months on an SSRI medication or on strattera.

I was curious so I put both strattera and prozac into the drugstore.com interaction checker. It doesn't guarantee to list all possible interactions, but I have found it helpful with my medications. With ONLY those 2 medications, this is what they said:

STRATTERA (ATOMOXETINE HYDROCHLORIDE) and PROZAC (FLUOXETINE HYDROCHLORIDE)
Severity:
Moderate

Description: Treatment with both fluoxetine and atomoxetine may cause too much atomoxetine to be in your blood.
Using atomoxetine together with fluoxetine may cause an increased risk of certain side effects, but using both drugs may be the best treatment for you. If you are using both medicines together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines. It is important to tell your doctor and pharmacist about all other medicines that you are using. Call your doctor if you feel that your heart beats faster than usual, feel very tired or run-down, have a headache, or don't feel like eating. Do not stop using your medicines without talking to your doctor first.

THen I added all of the medications you ahve listed for your son, so you could see if anything else was listed as an interaction. I ahve found that not all docs actually look this stuff up. (THis was with MY medications I found this, but each doctor does things differently). PLEASE do not change your sons medications with-o talking to the doctor - this is crucial for his health!

The other interaction mentioned was taking adderall with acidic food. It can increase the amount of adderall in the blood. This was rated as a minor interaction.

The strattera/prozac interaction was rated as moderate.

Here is the definition of minor and moderate interactions.

Severity rating definitions

What does "major" mean? The interaction may be life-threatening. Call your doctor immediately to discuss whether you should be taking these medicines together. Your doctor may need to change your therapy to reduce or prevent serious side effects.

What does "moderate" mean? The interaction may make your condition worse. Your doctor may need to change your therapy. Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist about using these medicines together.

What does "minor" mean? The interaction may increase the side effects of each drug. You can usually continue taking both drugs. If you experience any unusual or bothersome side effects, please report them to your doctor

Here is the link to the drugstore.com interaction checker. You can check these and any other medications/herbal supplements he is taking there for yourself.

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/drugchecker/default.asp

This may or may not be the best interaction checker around, but it is handy, so I use it frequently.

I hope this helps in some way. The increase in violent/aggressive behavior that some of us have seen after being on certain medications is not scientifically proven, it is just what we have noticed here. That is to say it is anecdotal evidence, not empirically proven.

adearing01

It is messed up the way they do things around here. I have to see the PCP for a referral only, then we see a psychiatrist, social worker, and he has a case manager, Occupational Therapist (OT), Speech (when we are up on the waiting list). I don't understand why we have to go all over the place.
I really want to go back to the developmental center, but finances and my current boss are not flexible. I may get fired or they may not allow me the day off. (Currently searching for new employment). The devel cntr did document the melt down and the psychologist noted that after he freaked out, he cleaned up his spit, and started talking to her about a commercial he saw about cleaning wipes?? Go figure.
He has been on these medications for quite some time now, so it is hard to say what adverse side effects they may cause. I do know that the prozac had the most effect of everything when we started it. he did not get so upset about having to transition and not getting his way.
I tried the no milk/wheat diet for a while, but this just got to be so hard. We have had a hard time with him eating other things when not at home. I had to tell the school not to feed him breakfast because I feed him every day at home!
I may be married, but he is my kids step dad and their bio dad works all the time so he is no help. I am very close to being a single mom, but I can't leave my parents out. I would have lost my job a long time ago if it were not for them helping with transportation issues.

BusynMember

We didn't have any luck with psychologists diagnosing my son who is on the spectrum. This is a neurological difference. They were looking for a behavior disorder or a psychiatric problem and misdiagnosed him many times. I recommend a neuropsychologist. They test really thoroughly, and know about both psychiatry and neurological differences. Their testing is different. It's more than just IQ tests.